Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: List of Chemicals and Materials Made by Sciencemadness.org Users
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 13-4-2018 at 18:15
List of Chemicals and Materials Made by Sciencemadness.org Users

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AoI2VA5L4bmFw2HwXS2OVYTV...

Above is a document I hope everyone reading will add to. It is designed to take only a minute to make an entry and I think it will be a great addition to the community.

"This document is intended to be a collection of chemicals, materials,and reagents made by amateur chemists with brief notes about their creation. The purpose of this compilation is to…

1) For users to look for inspiration of what to try out or make
2) see if someone has beat you to making it and posting it first
3) contact users about how they successfully made a compound"

You can help by adding it a link to your signature

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 09:43

I added a few syntheses which are on my website. I only added the syntheses , which use very easy to obtain and common chemicals as starting point.

E.g. making ammonium periodate from ammonia and periodic acid does not count for me, nor does making KICl4 from HCl and KIO3. These syntheses require more special chemicals. What I have listed in the document can be done with really basic chemicals like KBr, NaOH, HCl, KI and so on.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 10:09

Ooh, I’ve got a few offbeat ones to add, going to do that now.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 10:24

This is coming along well

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 10:57

Probably voicing some unspoken thoughts: "This seems like a very silly idea"

I'll not be adding my syntheses as they could easily become highly illegal with the wave of a magic lawyer's wand.

This list could form the 'factual basis' (they got to get a list somehow) of a law banning possession/synthesis of any substance on said list.

Maybe sodium sulphate would be OK, but you never know.

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 10:59

It’s a great idea, we can actually keep track of what people are/have made using this link since the large majority of this forum is arguably about theoretical applications as opposed to personal experimentation. A lot has been added already and there will be plenty more to come - we’ve done a good job of keeping a nice format but maybe we should implement some sort of sorting system? I don’t know if sorting by name or chemist would be better; on one hand we can see what each person has made, otherwise there may be several of the same chemical (there are two benzoic acid entries, I added mine above Plunkett’s) which could all be lumped together instead of dotted up and down the page.

Aga: yeah we do have to keep an eye on legal ramifications, but then again people freely discuss explosives around this forum and you can find actual step by step recipies for drug syntheses around Google with a simple search, so I don’t really know if this will change much on the grand scheme of things. I can’t see it being that harmful for amateur chemistry, only helpful for us users on SM and anyone else who wants to get started in chemistry. Oh yeah, and things become illegal when people get hurt - take mineral acids for instance which could become illegal without a license in the UK because people have been splashing it onto others’ faces and that as a weapon, not because some people on the Internet have been discussing their synthesis. Same goes for drugs and other illegal chemicals, because these obviously harm people whereas a piece of paper/block of text doesn’t.

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:07

Presumably people wishing to synthesise something they have not already done would research the substance beforehand.

A mini-google seems of little value in this respect.

A link via the SM Wiki would be very good, so i suggest it better to add the substances on that list to the Wiki rather than generate an external repository.

If all the substances listed were documented with a post in the forum, with a link to that post from the wiki entry, as already exists in many cases, that would be of ongoing usefulness.

A simple list of "Hey ! I made super-poopanol" isn't really a lot of use.

Edit:

A list in the Wiki would be great. It'd link to a descrption of how the synthesis was performed, adding greater value to the list (like woelen did).

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by aga]

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by LearnedAmateur  
It’s a great idea, we can actually keep track of what people are/have made using this link since the large majority of this forum is arguably about theoretical applications as opposed to personal experimentation. A lot has been added already and there will be plenty more to come - we’ve done a good job of keeping a nice format but maybe we should implement some sort of sorting system? I don’t know if sorting by name or chemist would be better; on one hand we can see what each person has made, otherwise there may be several of the same chemical (there are two benzoic acid entries, I added mine above Plunkett’s) which could all be lumped together instead of dotted up and down the page.

Aga: yeah we do have to keep an eye on legal ramifications, but then again people freely discuss explosives around this forum and you can find actual step by step recipies for drug syntheses around Google with a simple search, so I don’t really know if this will change much on the grand scheme of things. I can’t see it being that harmful for amateur chemistry, only helpful for us users on SM and anyone else who wants to get started in chemistry. Oh yeah, and things become illegal when people get hurt - take mineral acids for instance which could become illegal without a license in the UK because people have been splashing it onto others’ faces and that as a weapon, not because some people on the Internet have been discussing their synthesis. Same goes for drugs and other illegal chemicals, because these obviously harm people whereas a piece of paper/block of text doesn’t.

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

As for legal concerns there is no way a simple list is anything compared to everything on this forum or the internet.

I dont think we really need a sorting system. If you are looking for something just press control-F.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 12:13

Sodium Cyanide by carbothermic reaction.
Chloroform by haloform.
1,4 Dioxane by acid catalyzed dehydration of Ethylene Glycol
Iodine from KI with H2O2 and HCl

Many other things purified or dehydrated.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:27

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
... If you are looking for something just press control-F.

I was looking for trichlorophenolindophenol and didn't find anything.

Perhaps google will help.

What ?!?!

I was convinced that it was TCPIP not DCPIP yet all i can find is DCPIP.

I clearly remember the teacher way back saying it was trichloro, not dichloro.

Does trichlorophenolindophenol even exist ?

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 15:03

Would be a good idea to make it a form instead of a document, that way people don't have to scroll through the thing to add something. Then someone would have to curate it from time to time to remove / resolve / merge redundancies.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 14:09

Could you elaborate?

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 15:15

What about when more than one member has synthesized the same thing, possibly by different methods? It's not like VSEPR_VOID is now the ultimate authority on copper(II) nitrate, for example. There's different methods for making the same substance, as well. Also, as syntheses begin to overlap, simply ctrl-F'ing will turn up a lot of junk that you don't need, where the substance you're searching for may simply be mentioned as a reagent or otherwise. I know I've had my share of similar ideas over the years, but I feel like this one will quickly become unwieldy.

Besides, as aga pointed out, we already have a fully searchable repository that was designed for this kind of information: the wiki. Admittedly, I haven't been contributing much lately, but I think the wiki has the potential to be much more efficient and user-friendly than a Google Doc will ever be. Plus, it's hosted on the same server as the forum and can't be deleted or sabotaged on a whim.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 15:34

We could just send the FBI an FOIA request and see if they reply with a detailed spreadsheet :D

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 16:20

The advantage of this document over the forum is that this is a very brief over view. Well it can take a long time to find exactly what you are looking for with a search of the forum, this gives you an immediate answer of "has it been made, by who, and by what method".

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 18:46

I have personally synthesised:

Acetic acid
Chloroform
Sodium Acetate
Cinnameldahyde
Anhydrous MgSO4
Nitrogen dioxide (not on purpose)

I am currently engaged in extraction chemistry ie

Acetylsalicylic acid
Acetemenophen
Ibuprofen
Codeine (not illegal... Wouldn't care if it was... My liver is far more important so yeah... don't care)
Piperine

My immediate goal is to build onto the benzene ring to make interesting substances akin to neurotransmitters, drugs, and nice smelling esters. Also I'd like to play around with amino acids and I'm going to play around with L tyrosine.

I might make some typical antipsychotic drugs... haloperidol sounds horrific enough to be fine aye... (That was a joke... hilarious... so yeah... don't ban me... again... Because joke)

Hyperbole be thy name
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 21:21

This chemical list would help out the sciencemadness wiki to grow
As all you have to do would be search through the list and add the procedure to the wiki from the form.
And provide a link to the post so it could be added eaisier to the sciencemadness wiki
I see mabus does alot of work on it
Such as

Copper peroxide
By symboom
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=72833#...

[Edited on 21-4-2018 by symboom]

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2018 at 08:12

The first chemicals I added to the list was lead acetate and oxalate.

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 13-8-2018 at 15:57

Would it be acceptable to add compounds I made in a university research lab, or is this list intended to only encompass chemicals feasible to synthesize in an amateur setting?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2018 at 16:14

Sure, you made it and are a SM user.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 27-8-2018 at 19:35

I like this. I have already posted on it twice and like to see strait synthesis from people who can confirm it works.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 27-8-2018 at 20:44

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
I like this. I have already posted on it twice and like to see strait synthesis from people who can confirm it works.

I think we should not repeat the same compound. I already added Copper (II) Oxide, if you have different route - you should add it to already existing Copper (II) Oxide synthesis. It will make a mess if same compound would show up in every other page.

TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 10:27
Remade the file.

I had some time to kill, so I remade the broken file in google sheets, way more review-able, I think. Have a blast, and sorry for any mistakes.

I removed, I think, 2 duplicates. Also dared to remove aga's methane synth, because of toxic impurities. sorry.

Also also - woelen - one or more links does not work.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  
I had some time to kill, so I remade the broken file in google sheets, way more review-able, I think. Have a blast, and sorry for any mistakes.

I removed, I think, 2 duplicates. Also dared to remove aga's methane synth, because of toxic impurities. sorry.

Great work! For the sorting, do you think we should sort by chemical name/formula? I think that would look better and prettier than sort by addition date, which is hidden and impossible to retrieve from our memories.

TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  

Great work! For the sorting, do you think we should sort by chemical name/formula? I think that would look better and prettier than sort by addition date, which is hidden and impossible to retrieve from our memories.

Google sheets kind of sucks for sorting, I could sort them manually, but then adding new entries would have to be added correctly (in the middle of the table..

sheets only allows to sort one column, rest of them stays where they was. and merging does not work also.. :/

If someone knows how to auto sort them - go ahead! :)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top