Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Help! IP ban?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 04:17
Help! IP ban?

Hello, I messaged J_sum via U2U but will post here as well:

I accidentally tried to upload over 8megs of images (Came out to 12 megs rounded up)(I never imagined it'd be that big!) Now I can no longer log in with my native IP address, I must use a proxy.

I think I may have triggered a server side ip block as I get 403 forbidden by Apache and the same forbidden error from Ubuntu on a grey screen back ground

This was last night after trying to post to the "Tour my lab" thread, at the time I was downloading a torrent (Not sure if that may have effected things.

Please help me sciencemadness admins you're literally my only hope!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 09:56

Hmmm, this is weird. There is no new IP-ban added or registered. There must be wrong something else.
I myself also have an issue. I cannot reply U2U, I get a message that the request could not be fulfilled. It seems like there is something wrong with the forumsoftware.

@Polverone: Did something change in the software deployment recently?

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:04

I was noticing weird delays when I was trying to upload pdfs to the energetic's forum too the day befor (Hence my low blood sugar induced freak out during it!)

Still having to use proxy to get in.

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:10

Nope, not seeing any new ip bans, nor your sign up ip on the list. If you have changed to a different ip, or are perhaps using a mobile device? Could you message me with the actual ip you can't use, if different than that wbich you signed up from:

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 12:01

207.204.219.31 at current

verboten.jpg - 37kB
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:10

Try logging in

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:12

With out using proxy I can't even get to the page at all, look at picture, that is all I get. atm using proxy to type in this thread. Second I switch off the proxy VERBOTEN!!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:18

Oh.

So apache is configured to reject your IP on the SM server.

Just use the proxy - problem solved.

Clearly you already have a proxy service set up for some reason - i do not, and never have had a problem.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:24

this IS the reason I set up a proxy to fix it, and proxies SUCK, as it is slow as hell
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:32

Log out, delete cookies, log in again.

The server machine does not like you for some reason.

Might not be just the IP address.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:35

All ready tried all the standard things
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 13:45

U2U Polverone.

It's a server thing, not a board software thing.

Edit:

If it is IP related, and you are not paying for a static IP, just switch off/on your internet router.

It is rare that a large ISP's DHCP server honours a requested-ip request.

More Edit:

That means you will get a different IP address if you switch off/on the internet router.

"The Internet router" is what i call the box that the service provider gives you.

Saves explaining how it all works before someone pulls the plug then puts it back in again.

As a side note, the only reason this works is because the programming of that box is utter Shit.

Programmers these days have almost No clue what the underlying machine consists of, and less of a clue about the Bytes their crap occupies.

For this reason they are very sloppy, and you, the purchaser, aid them by accepting you have to switch off/on sometimes.

Other systems, like a commercial airplanes system, this is not tolerated as much.

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by aga]

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 15:39

I do networking, I am very familiar with all of that, I have don all of that, it is not on my end, this I am quite certain of.

Thanks for trying though

Correction I did do networking, frankly I'll take NT4.0 over any of the newer crap, may been a migraine inducing head ache pain in the arse to configure but once it was it simply worked and didn't assume 8million things to make the job harder!!! /end rant] and Win2K pro is still my favorite os, second only to 7pro, 10 needs to be killed with fire and the ones who approved it flogged 100 times in town square!

As to modern programmers, as CPU horse power got more powerful they could get lazier with code, as the cpu speed can just muddle through the garbage vs a well stream lined code that was well designed!

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 03:41

YAY It's fixed! no more crappy proxy! TY
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 04:11

Glad to hear it.
What was the actual problem? Did you figure it out?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 04:48

Nope, I did the works on my end: DNS flush, reset cookies, cleared cash, power cycled router and modem, cleared ip tables from router, emptied temp folders.

Nothing did it, I must have triggered some sort of protection subsystem on the server when I accidentally tried to post 10megs worth of photo's in the lab tour thread (They are there now in split posting!)

So either it reset and removed the block, or one of the webmasters reset it. Either way I am grateful

But would my self love to know exactly what happened as to avoid it in the future! and happy to not having to use a proxy!
PhenethylamineMachine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
YAY It's fixed! no more crappy proxy! TY

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue with using the proxy?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 09:09

Slow, when ever you add more routers to a mix you lose speed and reliability, I just rather have the least number of routing to my target as possible..
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 23:27

There has been no action from an administrator. Apparently you triggered some safety guard, which locked you out for a few days and then released the lock again.
I think that the best thing you can do to avoid future lock outs is limiting upload sizes of images and documents. An upper limit of 2 MByte per image or document seems reasonable to me.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 04:16

indeed it was negligence on my part, assumption the mother of all Fup's! I assumed there be no way all the pics could have been that big, and noticed after sending they where!

So will certainly be more careful next time! I split the lab tour pic set to 2 posts and it uploaded with out issue.

I'm just thankful some one programed it to be a temporary lock!
PhenethylamineMachine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 07:52

Slow, when ever you add more routers to a mix you lose speed and reliability, I just rather have the least number of routing to my target as possible..

Makes sense.

I apologize, when it comes to technology I am only semi-knowledgeable. I even do the majority of my chemistry work with a pen and notebook rather than typing out my notes. ( though protein-ligand docking programs are amazing!)

Its not that I don't want to learn, it's just that I use technology so little in my daily life.

Any way:

is a proxy doing the same thing as a tor browser? I mean, are they serving the same purpose?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail from the topic at hand, I am just very curious here, yet I don't think starting an entire thread would be justified.

Thanks.
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 08:07

Yes, proxy, vpn, and tor are doing the same. Both are hiding you, giving you privacy and freedom. But both are slower and more difficult to use than direct (normal) connection. Proxy is the weakest, vpn is the best. I never used tor. While proxy works only in browser or app, vpn forwards all connection through proxy, almost at the hardware level. I only use them if can't access some website (not allowed in my ip or country) and if searching for shady things on public wifi hotspots. It's recommended to use vpn whenever you do something illegal, shady, odd, scary. Even isp is not to be trusted.

Some vpns will allow you to get FREE internet, aka get internet and do not give money to isp. Useful if you are poor, so can't pay internet. Also advantage over free wifi hotspots is that it can work in any location where there is 3G or 4G. GSM is too slow to even work for this.

Such vpns are:
http://your-freedom.net/ (this one give you same internet speed as normal internet which you would pay, my speed is 250 kB/s and already downloaded 1 TB in 6 months)
http://vpnoverdns.com/ (this one gives you speed 1 kB/s, probably they didn't know how to make software properly, i downloaded few GB using this tough)
PhenethylamineMachine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by RawWork  
Yes, proxy, vpn, and tor are doing the same. Both are hiding you, giving you privacy and freedom. But both are slower and more difficult to use than direct (normal) connection. Proxy is the weakest, vpn is the best. I never used tor. While proxy works only in browser or app, vpn forwards all connection through proxy, almost at the hardware level. I only use them if can't access some website (not allowed in my ip or country) and if searching for shady things on public wifi hotspots. It's recommended to use vpn whenever you do something illegal, shady, odd, scary. Even isp is not to be trusted.

Some vpns will allow you to get FREE internet, aka get internet and do not give money to isp. Useful if you are poor, so can't pay internet. Also advantage over free wifi hotspots is that it can work in any location where there is 3G or 4G. GSM is too slow to even work for this.

Such vpns are:
http://your-freedom.net/ (this one give you same internet speed as normal internet which you would pay, my speed is 250 kB/s and already downloaded 1 TB in 6 months)
http://vpnoverdns.com/ (this one gives you speed 1 kB/s, probably they didn't know how to make software properly, i downloaded few GB using this tough)

Thank you!

This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Much appreciated, thank you again.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 16:31

Quote: Originally posted by PhenethylamineMachine  

Makes sense.

I apologize, when it comes to technology I am only semi-knowledgeable. I even do the majority of my chemistry work with a pen and notebook rather than typing out my notes. ( though protein-ligand docking programs are amazing!)

Its not that I don't want to learn, it's just that I use technology so little in my daily life.

Any way:

is a proxy doing the same thing as a tor browser? I mean, are they serving the same purpose?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail from the topic at hand, I am just very curious here, yet I don't think starting an entire thread would be justified.

Thanks.

Yes and no, tor is a big chain of groups of proxies to make back tracing a head ache nightmare but not impossible.

Proxy is you send your info to a remote computer then ask that machine then to contact your target place, then the target replies to that remote machine and ask it to send the data to you.

So in human terms, lets say we have a mutual friend, so rather then talk to you directly I get the friend to relay it, and it comes along with all the mistakes!
PhenethylamineMachine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 05:20

Quote: Originally posted by PhenethylamineMachine  

Makes sense.

Any way:

Thanks.

Yes and no, tor is a big chain of groups of proxies to make back tracing a head ache nightmare but not impossible.

Proxy is you send your info to a remote computer then ask that machine then to contact your target place, then the target replies to that remote machine and ask it to send the data to you.

So in human terms, lets say we have a mutual friend, so rather then talk to you directly I get the friend to relay it, and it comes along with all the mistakes!

Thank you for clarifying. All of it helps.

Didn't tor have some issue with an NSA backdoor? Or there was a A zero-day exploit issue or something?

As I said, I don't know much about technology, I consider myself slightly above ignorant on the topic, I mean, I know some things that others might not, but it is very, very, little.

So with tor if someone wanted to backtrack a large number of IP's they would eventually identify you?

...and a proxy is more like an intermediary passing the information between your computer through their proxy, and the proxy outputs your information to everyone else as coming from a another location?

The details for the proxy apps describe the proxy providing protection, what type of protection are they talking about?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top