Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I hoped this would be explosive (Methylammonium iodate)
theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 13:25
I hoped this would be explosive (Methylammonium iodate)

So a few days a got some methylammonium chloride, and what was the first thing I did with it? Well, I freebased it, and neutralised it with iodic acid to make methylammonium iodate (CH3NH3IO3). I experimented with ammonium iodate (NH4IO3) earlier, which just decomposes slowly when you heat it, I hoped the methylammonium iodate would explode on heating, since it has some carbon stuff in it wich can be oxidized much easier. But NOPE, I think it even decomposes slower then the ammonium iodat, releasing purple smoke.
The salt itself is a white solid which doesn't seem to be very soluble in water, and is not hygroscopic at all, so pretty similar to ammonium iodate.
I didn't do too many tests with it, so I'll probably gonna do that soon and keep you updated. Even tho it didn't end in huge explosions, it's still quite interesting, because I couldn't find anything at all about that salt on the internet.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-4-2018 at 13:45

Interesting to experiment with this kind of things. I myself have made NH4IO3, NH4BrO3 and NH4ClO3. The latter two are much more energetic than the first one, but the first one also is quite interesting when somewhat confined. If you put it in a test tube and then heat the test tube, then you get a violent, but also very interesting looking, decomposition.

I also made periodate salts of these, and these are more energetic.

How did you do the neutralisation? Did you make methylamine gas by adding NaOH and then leading this gas through a solution of HIO3? Did you lead enough of the gas through the solution of HIO3? You need some excess gas to be sure that no free HIO3 remains in the solid you obtain. I made my NH4IO3 by adding some HIO3 to excess ammonia and then allowing all liquid to evaporate. This was somewhat smelly. With methylamine it probably will be even more smelly, albeit somewhat less pungent.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 00:40

I basically made a methylamine solution by adding KOH and methylammonium chloride to ethanol, and filter off then KCl. Then I added this to an aqueous solution of iodic acid, and poured a bunch of ethanol into it to precipitate it. It's not super pure so I prolly gotta recrystallise it.
I tried to make ammonium chlorate once too, but that's a bit difficult with potadsium chlorate.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 03:27

The iodic acid/iodate does not oxidize the ethanol? Interesting method. I myself have done some experiments with methylamine, but I used NaOH, added to CH3NH3Cl and then added a drop of water. This causes the gas CH3NH2 to be expelled and this can be passed through water in which the corresponding acid is dissolved. It is a rather smelly endeavour though. You always get some methylamine in the air. Fortunately, the gas is not really toxic at low concentrations, but it is annoying if your house smells of decaying fish, mixed with stale urine ;) .

I made the ammonium chlorate from a concentrated hot solution of appr. stoichiometric amounts of NH4ClO4 and KClO3. On slow cooling down at room temperature and finally to -5 C or so in a freezer, KClO4 crystallizes, because that is by far the least soluble. The resulting solution of NH4ClO3 is pure enough for experiments. It certainly will contain some perchlorate ions and potassium ions as well, but it is reasonably pure.

Another interesting one is to make dilute but pure HClO3 by adding 50% HClO4 to a hot concentrated solution of KClO3. KClO4 precipitates and HClO3 remains behind in solution. To this you can add excess ammonia and then allow the liquid to evaporate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 08:19

I don't have HClO4 or any perchlorates for that matter, so can't do that .-.
But yeah, iodates aren't really strong oxidizers, so it doesn't react with alcohols easily, even permanganates only do that when you heat them.

I thought about distilling a methylamine solution from NaOH and CH3NH3Cl, but I think that wouldn't work because the methylamine would just leave as a gas. And I don't really think it smells bad, not any worse then ammonia. Same with all the other amines I have.

Go To Top