Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: OTC source of thiocyanates or ferrocyanides?
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 11:13

I did a quick test of my crude sodium cyanate by dissolving 10g in water and precipitating it with calcium nitrate. It seems like calcium cyanate has low solubility, as the initial ppt was far more than expected. After washing with a large amount of water I ended up with 2,5g (indicating 26% sodium carbonate) but I'm not sure if I got all the cyanate out.
I do have a fair amount of barium perchlorate, but I rather not use that if I have a choice. There are many other carbonates I could try, but I'm having a hard time finding solubility date for cyanate salts.

I do have another idea to test, and that is the hydrolysis of cyanate to carbonate and ammonia. This should give a weight loss of 18,5%, more than enough for a gravimetric analysis. I'm simply going to weigh a beaker, add a weighed sample and a bit of water, then boil it to dryness. In theory this should produce pure, dry sodium carbonate, right?

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 11:22

All the data you need is in (for the nth time I quote this reference) "Cyanogen compounds, Their chemistry, detection and estimation" by H E Williams 1915 and 1948. It can be down loaded from the web easily.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 13:24

I've looked through the 1915-edition (can't seem to find the 1948 edition), but I couldn't find anything really useful. Calcium cyanate is mentioned, but not any solubility data. And while it does list some methods for analysis they aren't what I'm looking for. I'm not really set up for analytical work, and I don't think I need very high accuracy for this. So I'm looking for a simple, rough test hat will give me a ballpark composition.
The direct hydrolysis idea might be a bit optimistic, but it's worth a try. Another possibility is to hydrolyze it in HCl, this should produce a mixture of NaCl and NH4Cl.

Update: The math for the last one looks promising.
The carbonate should convert to NaCl with a 10% increase in weight, while the cyanate should produce NaCl and NH4Cl with a 16% decrease in weight.
You have to understand that this isn't a bath that will be used very often, so setting up a lab for the analysis isn't really an option.

[Edited on 5-5-18 by Fulmen]

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top