Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sodium Silicate Solution
BeanyBoy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 11:27

Quote:
Originally posted by visitation123
Sodium silicate isn't hard to obtain, try some other ceramic and pottery outlets.

What do you want it for, catalyst preparation?

While I acquire stuff for the real lab, I'm amusing myself by restoring to near-mint condition, a Career 512 Skil-Craft chemistry set. The Sodium Silicate Solution was one of the few bottles that needed a "recharge". Over the years, most of the sodium silicate fused, into silica I guess (I still have it). Rehydrating the bottle's contents got some solution that worked in the few demos I tried. But I wanted to refill it.

I just ended up paying WAY too much for it...
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 12:40

Quote:
Originally posted by garage chemist
Thats the difference between them. Of course you can use metasilicate solution in place of waterglass.

Did you even read my post? Metasilicate is 1:1 Na2O.SiO2 = Na2SiO3, whereas water glass contains a high proportion of the orthosilicate, 2Na2O.SiO2 = Na4SiO4. Not only that, but I gave an example where, not only did the material NOT set up, it grew CRYSTALS on long-term evaporation!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
visitation123
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 13:59

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanyBoy
While I acquire stuff for the real lab, I'm amusing myself by restoring to near-mint condition, a Career 512 Skil-Craft chemistry set. The Sodium Silicate Solution was one of the few bottles that needed a "recharge". Over the years, most of the sodium silicate fused, into silica I guess (I still have it). Rehydrating the bottle's contents got some solution that worked in the few demos I tried. But I wanted to refill it.

Care factor? You guessed it, nil.

Haha.

:D
BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2007 at 02:42

Quote:
Originally posted by visitation123
Quote:
Originally posted by BeanyBoy

Care factor? You guessed it, nil.

Haha.

:D

Yeah, nothing exciting is happening here...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top