Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US Group Buy: Sodium bromide and phthalic anhydride
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 11:00
US Group Buy: Sodium bromide and phthalic anhydride

As suggested by the title, I'm looking to gauge interest within the United States for some pretty cheap sodium bromide and phthalic anhydride. I've sold phthalic anhydride on the site before but since the focus this time is on the former I've started a new thread. The primary reason I'm preemptively making this post before I have the reagents is that, based on the demand that comes from forum users, I can buy them at increasingly lower prices.
My target right now is to find a home for 5kg of sodium bromide and 2kg of phthalic anhydride. I can potentially acquire more of either but those two thresholds should promise very attractive prices.

The target price for sodium bromide (consumer pool chemical grade, 98% minimum as a free-flowing powder) is $1.75 per 100g quantity, $1.50 per 100g if buying at least 500g.

The target price for phthalic anhydride (reagent grade flakes, very stuff if you ask me) is $3.50 per 100g, $3.25 per 100g if buying at least 500g.

Shipping will all be flat-rate by USPS and I'll charge precisely what they do. Payment will be as it has been in the past via PayPal.

Please post below if you think you're interested in either chemical and in how much you'd potentially like to purchase. This is kind of a trust thing; please don't tell me you'll buy 2kg of each and then disappear when the time comes. I'm hoping to get the purchases made in the next week and a half if we can get the targets met. I'd also like to keep the minimum purchase value at $7 for my sanity's sake ;)

And of course, if you've got any questions that need answering or verbal abuse that needs venting toss them below as well.

Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 11:28

Why group buy Sodium Bromide? It's already available online fairly cheaply within the USA ($10-20/lb). It's even on Amazon.

Phthalic Anhydride on the other hand is interesting and not readily available.
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 12:09

I'd assume they'd do it because $6-7 a pound is lower than the price range you stated. I sure found it attractive when I located a source that cheap. Even finding it at $10 a pound is rare unless you're buying several pounds at once.

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by Amos]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 12:11

I'll take a kilo of phthalic anhydride!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 12:16

I'd take a kilo of both bromide and anhydride :D

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 12:34

I have no need for any, but I couldn't resist. Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by weilawei  
I have no need for any, but I couldn't resist. Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?

nice

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 13:04

I'll take 500g of phthalic anhydride 100% at least that.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 17:10

I'll take 100g Phthalic anhydride, 200g NaBr. I guess that's the minimum order, and doesn't really contribute much to your getting the minimum purchase quantities, but perhaps I can up it if there's a source of funds for such an expenditure soon/we need more purchases to reach the minimum threshold.
Cool stuff, looking forward to this for sure.
TVC

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 23:04

I'd take 200g of phthalic anhydride.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
highpower48
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 06:52

I'd take 200g of both..
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 16:59

I could use some bromide... It's pool season again and I'm pretty sure I paid $18.99 / 1# last spring. A kilo could be nice, or two if you needed some more takers to fill out order. I mean I don't REALLY need it all right now, but you can bet I'll buy it in the long run any way. Friggn algae sets foot in the plaster, which is rough worn, and it proves most difficult to remove.

Ya ya ya I know, dumping right in the pool sounds like sacrilege, but it's really effective where a shit ton of chlorine isn't always the best route. Like when you want to swim later that day.

Shoot me a u2u should we be moving on this some time, PayPal works fine.

kssUSA
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 17:32

I'd buy 500g of both
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 17:58

Interesting, put me on the list for a Kg of Phthalic anhydride if there is still room.

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  

Ya ya ya I know, dumping right in the pool sounds like sacrilege, but it's really effective where a shit ton of chlorine isn't always the best route. Like when you want to swim later that day.

I'll bring the burgers if you bring the bromide :D sounds like my kind of pool party.
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 05:24

Brilliant, I'm glad to see so many people on board for this. I'll have to see what my chemical supplier seems comfortable providing as far as the quantity of phthalic anhydride; I may have to limit this to about 5-6kg total. I'll be putting the orders in for each chemical this weekend, and then when I've picked them up we can get shipping. Thanks for your fast responses!
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 05:31

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
I could use some bromide... It's pool season again and I'm pretty sure I paid $18.99 / 1# last spring. A kilo could be nice, or two if you needed some more takers to fill out order. I mean I don't REALLY need it all right now, but you can bet I'll buy it in the long run any way. Friggn algae sets foot in the plaster, which is rough worn, and it proves most difficult to remove.

I don't have a pool or any nasty algal problems but I've heard it's good at what it does. Never thought I'd be selling pool care products for their intended use here :D The demand for sodium bromide is a little light right now so I'd appreciate your order but don't buy too much more than you need!
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 17:00

I wouldn't have offered if it broke the bank. Rule # don't sink your own ship, monetary or otherwise. I'll end up spending a few hundred this season, as in all others. But what else ya gonna do, it's 18,000 gal in-ground pool. Not like you could just fill it with dirt unless you NEED a never ending mud pit :( kids love it, I deal with the headache, things are as they should be :)

BuzzKillerOfFire
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 20:29

I'd be interested, how much would shipping to the SE USA be?
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 04:29

Quote: Originally posted by BuzzKillerOfFire  
I'd be interested, how much would shipping to the SE USA be?

If you u2u me your zip code and the approximate quantities you're interested in I can give you an estimate. I reside in Louisville so it shouldn't be too much.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 26-5-2018 at 11:59

Any update on this?

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 11:39

I have lots of phthalic anhydride (17.99 per pound) and sodium bromide (9.95 per pound). Shipping is around 12-13 anywhere in the US. If interested U2U me.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by weilawei  

I am reading it now. I highly recommend it.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 20:38

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
I have lots of phthalic anhydride (17.99 per pound) and sodium bromide (9.95 per pound). Shipping is around 12-13 anywhere in the US. If interested U2U me.

Those prices are abysmal; anyone could find cheaper phthalic anhydride online or sodium bromide in stores.

AS FOR AN UPDATE, I've acquired all the sodium bromide and can sell it for the prices promised. My phthalic anhydride vendor tried to pull a fast one on me and raise the price by 60% after promising otherwise, so I'm looking around for others. I appreciate everyone's patience so far; hopefully soon I can get everyone the reagents they're looking for.

Go To Top