Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: SM Challenge - thoughts?
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 07:17

Maybe one synthesis idea could be to create a chemical rainbow? Whoever can make the required complex ions/transition metal salts/azo dyes/etc. for the seven rainbow colours? Although again it wouldn’t be fair if people can easily buy certain reagents and others cannot, so it’s probably a crappy idea on the whole.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 08:52

The challenges I like the best are those that establish something that helps the amateur community. The OTC tempo and nitric acid ones were designed to that effect. Oxalyl chloride might be something I take a stab at someday (I have some ideas), but maybe is a little tough. I'd like to see someone devise a high yield procedure for getting tetrahydrofuran out of a consumer product. Or maybe demonstrate a way to skirt high-temperature or pressure requirements of a well-known reaction. Depends on what we need most, I guess.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 11:45

Maybe even create challenges designed around limiting chemicals and equipment. For example, not saying this idea is original, but who can make the best mineral acid with a ten dollar budget and household equipment.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 14:12

Think of something, put up the Prize/Money and post the Challenge.
It's as simple as that.

The Nitric thing i had to close for three reasons:

1. Nobody got close to a solution, despite lots and lots of time (alternate nitrate sources were also boring)
2. I had less money lying around than when i started that "Challenge"
3. Turned out that the solution had already been posted on SM years ago.

It is very important to quickly pay out if anyone actually solves a Challenge that you post.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 19:08

There could be store specific challenges, such as home depot, dollar store, Wall-Mart or even hippy health food stores... It would be more region specific for some of those, but you get the idea. It narrows down some of the players, but also opens the field in some ways.

Dollar stores have some really random crap in there, I'm sure something could be built from their stock, I know I've use them manny a time for sources of household items my wife wouldn't kill me for using. Could call that one "the marriage saver challenge" lol. It would basically allow one to have a very discrete bill.

Just one of many mediocre, after work ideas. Discard if you will, but I thought It might be a novel idea.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 19:52

I support this and maybe we could take some kind of pool or collection where we donate $ and then give it away or split it. Also another idea is to give lab gear or chems away. I've accumulated some extra pieces that IDK if I will use.

I'm thinking a good contest would be an easy way of making Chlorates without expensive anodes/cathodes.. It could be broken up into a few parts, making/finding power supply, power control, electrodes & process.

I think electrolysis in general has a lot of misinformation on this site and others where things are stated to work and they seem to most certainly not.

Also, I think it would be a great idea to always have some kind of competition going on in the forum. This would be very beneficial to inspiring people to have a direction in which to focus even if it is just reading the threads. If it is a matter of cost, I'd be happy to donate to the competitions if there were good effort put into it as I'd prefer to read interesting experiments (successes or failures) than watch a bad movie at the theatre (for $20 for ticket and food) - meaning, I'd pay for the contest instead.
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:46

I'm working on some challenge ideas right now, some for the "Weekend Challenge" idea and some for regular challenges.

One thing that I want to be conscious of is making it useful. Challenges for the sake of challenges are fun to be sure, but I want to be thinking about how the products might help us amateurs. Meta's TLC challenge is a good example of this - it'll be useful. However, i'm concerned that, just like the oxalyl chloride, it will fade into nothingness after a while. Currently, I have no way of figuring this problem out. I guess the solution would be to make the challenge not to hard that people give up but not so easy that it serves no real use or research to amateur chemistry.

I'm also, as I imagine is the case for a lot of others, not exactly made of money. What money I do make, I try to save for university. I would be glad to spend a bit as a prize for someone discovering a pathway to a useful chem. But spending it as prize money for short challenges that I've already done, as much as i'd like to, might bankrupt me.

The larger competitions seem to fail more often than not, sadly. I don't have any way around this - anyone?

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 22:00

Awesome, V.
Remember that skill-building is also useful. As is something dramatic or illustrative that attracts people to chemistry and helps them understand.
At the close of the copper carnival was the question of "shall we do this next year?" followed by resounding approval. It didn't happen but there is no reason not to do a simple repeat of that one.

As for prizes -- they are nice. But they don't need to be big. And current trends are for other members to voluntarily chip in as well. Everyone breaks beakers and needs new ones. No one is going to turn down a good chem text, a few grams of Hg in some tilt switches or some vanadium pentoxide. A nice inexpensive prize is easy to arrange.

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 04:46

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  
Meta's TLC challenge is a good example of this - it'll be useful. However, i'm concerned that, just like the oxalyl chloride, it will fade into nothingness after a while. Currently, I have no way of figuring this problem out. I guess the solution would be to make the challenge not to hard that people give up but not so easy that it serves no real use or research to amateur chemistry.

I've also been concerned about this. If I see a lack of interest in the main TLC challenge after a few weeks, then I will probably add some additional categories related to making TLC plates, which should be easier to complete.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 07:18

The oxalyl chloride challenge didn't actually fade into nothingness; it was ended when the deadline was reached. I might start it up again after a while, but I'd want to be assured of receiving at least one entry (there is a patent route that looks like it might work).

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 15:53

Ooh, I have an idea. See who can build the most interesting continuous-production catalytic system for producing a chemical that's difficult to obtain from one that's easy to obtain. Like say, air oxidation of naphthalene to phthalic anhydride or something along those lines.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 23:11

the chemical art idea appeals to me as being something highly open ended and hence subject to many interpretations. i think that the easier it is to bend a challenge to ones own skill set, the more people are likely to engage. the less rules the better imo. some constraints (obviously) but not too prescriptive. perhaps categories (eg 3d sculptural and 2d) or whatever. just thinking out loud :)

Beginning construction of periodic table display
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 13:52

Production of synthetic precious opal seems like an interesting challenge. Basically, opal consists of nearly uniform (same size) silica spheres, arranged in an orderly fashion forming a diffraction grating (photonic crystal), resulting in a stunning play of colour when held in the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IrVwFUrrY

Touches upon chemical and physical aspects of nano materials, a hot topic at the moment with lots of applications. It might be possible to use very cheap and mostly non-toxic chemicals and virtually no glassware, so amateur friendly. I've gathered some literature and ideas on the subject already, if there is any interest here I'll post them here. :)
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 13:58

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Ooh, I have an idea. See who can build the most interesting continuous-production catalytic system for producing a chemical that's difficult to obtain from one that's easy to obtain. Like say, air oxidation of naphthalene to phthalic anhydride or something along those lines.

How about hydrogen peroxide via the anthraquinone process?
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 15:56

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  

How about hydrogen peroxide via the anthraquinone process?

I like that idea. Maybe also the production of nitric acid from air or ammonia. That could benefit the community a great deal!

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 16:00

Nitric acid from ammonia with transition metal salts

Make concentrate hydrogen peroxide

These projects alone would be a great much needed challange

Side note i set a challange for my self to compact the chemicals i need

Extraction with p-cymene

http://www.prepchem.com/synthesis-of-hydrogen-peroxide/

80-90% hydrogen peroxide obtained by mixing 30% hydrogen peroxide solution with twice its amount of p-cymene.
Sulfuric acid absorbed on silica solidified sulfuric acid
AlCl3 for making hydrochloric acid
Nitrogen dioxide absobed on solid catalysis for nitric acid
Calcium chloride for storing ammonia gas
And

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 01:34

Make organic compounds from inorganic starting materials. The person with the most useful, complex, or interesting results wins

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 02:21

There are some good ideas being floated, and judging by some U2Us I have seen, there are more ideas being considered.

We have two competitions running right now - both related to equipment design and construction.
I think there is space for a practical chemistry challenge of some kind. Does anyone want to actually run with one of these?

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 03:54

Links to the existing challenges please?

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 04:12

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
Links to the existing challenges please?

Both stickied -- I assumed links were unnecessary.
But here ya go:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by LearnedAmateur  
Maybe one synthesis idea could be to create a chemical rainbow? Whoever can make the required complex ions/transition metal salts/azo dyes/etc. for the seven rainbow colours? Although again it wouldn’t be fair if people can easily buy certain reagents and others cannot, so it’s probably a crappy idea on the whole.

Wonderful idea! I think that could be a great challenge if only allowed to use otc chemicals and/or extractions using otc solvents.

But should mixing 2 colours to make another colour be allowed?

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 13:18

Another idea:

Crystal growing challenge?

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 19:03

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Another idea:

Crystal growing challenge?

That is one challenge I would have no chance of winning. It's almost mind-numbingly easy to purify substances by recrystallization, but when it comes to growing crystals, I am just awful at it. I think a lot of people would like that idea, though. What would be the aim of the challenge?

Oh and for the record, no proposal of a Total Synthesis of Lysergic Aldehyde challenge was actually made, and it was mentioned only in jest. While it is actually possible to carry out such a synthesis, it would be extraordinarily difficult in an amateur lab, and I think it is better for a challenge to try to achieve more useful results with broader appeal.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

Oh and for the record, no proposal of a Total Synthesis of Lysergic Aldehyde challenge was actually made, and it was mentioned only in jest. While it is actually possible to carry out such a synthesis, it would be extraordinarily difficult in an amateur lab, and I think it is better for a challenge to try to achieve more useful results with broader appeal.

Yeah, and not to mention that any self respecting cop would nail you on trying to make LSD with such a similar compound.
So, it would be all the risk of cooking acid without the possible reward of having any.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 07:55

Hah. It's not illegal and not on any lists of suspicious chemicals. Anyone who bothers doing the full synthesis is clearly interested in more than cookery; it would basically be the amateur version of total synthesis of lysergic acid (which is illegal). There is no law against making lysergic aldehyde as long as it's not intended to be used as a drug. Furthermore, it has no known pharmacological effects.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top