Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Reactive Liners
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2019 at 05:40

Agreed, in case of the vulcan SC, the liner is probably not composed of two separate materials that react upon impact, however, the liner does react with the HE inside the charge to be disposed off, in a very particular way it seems. Anyway, thought it might be interesting for this thread. It seems really strange that the HE under heavy steel confinement only deflagerates when hit by the high energy magnesium jet. From what I have seen, the HE inside in most cases is completely burned away. Any ideas how this is possible? The HE is probably cooked off by the reaction with the heated magnesium, like most molten reductive metals would like the molten zinc/TNT as you mention, still it starnge no detonation ensures. Judging from the photo's in the link provided earlier, the liner doesn't look like plain solid magnesium, been wondering if this is just from the crude casting process (liner doesn't need to be very precise for this job) or is composed of some sintered magnesium powder/alloy, or if maybe some other component is present after all.

simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 27-1-2019 at 11:25

I do not believe magnesium liner causes the explosive to just burn in all cases. In some cases it surely detonates.

Watching Mg liner ignites a gas bottle on the TV was hilarious and theatrical but of zero practical value.

Do not believe a word from "professor" - "experts". Most of them have not worked with, God forgive designed, a warhead during their whole "careers"... 99% of the "research" personnel has not seen a real warhead never ever, they are completely under-qualified to design innovative ones. Not referring to the Mg liner guy, but to the experts in the field in general.

[Edited on 27-1-2019 by simply RED]

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 19:26

The gent whom nitro referred to is the real deal red. Nitro I have no idea, it should detonate. It makes no sense to me. I will let you know if God willing I am able to go to carnfield and get my degree in ordances engineering.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top