Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kimax Two-Piece Condenser
BeanyBoy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 05:10
Kimax Two-Piece Condenser

I bought a junk box on e-Bay. Among the items was the inner tube of a two-part Kimax Liebig condenser, and the screw-on retaining caps & the rubber seals. Missing is the outer water jacket, which is all-glass with ends threaded to take the bakelite retaining caps.

This is simliar to my old Welch modified West condenser, except that the Welch model had stainless steel nipples built into the end retaining caps. In contrast, the Kimax unit had glass nipples in the glass outer jacket..

This isn't my only condenser. But I'd like to either find a water jacket for it. Alternatively, if somebody has one & loves it and wants a replacement inner tube & end caps, maybe we can work out a trade.

tia,
-Beany Boy
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:52

You may find that tube useful as an air condenser. Especially if you have to put a little heat to it as in the synthesis of acetamide, IIRC. I was wishing I had one at that time.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 02:33
When they said brains, thought they said trains...

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
You may find that tube useful as an air condenser. Especially if you have to put a little heat to it as in the synthesis of acetamide, IIRC. I was wishing I had one at that time.

I spent a little time Googling for information on acetamide, and found that most of its uses are in organic chemistry. For the foreseeable future, organic chemistry doesn't hold much interest for me, and it didn't back in the day. They offered it at my high school, but I stopped with intro/inorganic chemistry.

The closest my interest is likely to get to organic chemistry in the foreseeable future are to make some old-style apothecary preparations like you can find in Fenner's Complete Formulary. For example, it has the original recipe for Listerine Mouthwash, and I intend on making a batch and using it, comparing it to the modern mass-produced stuff. Balms, salves, etc. That stuff is hardly even chemistry, as mixing most of those ingredients doesn't involve a reaction.

The offer stands, will trade the tube... or, if you have the jacket and want to get rid of it, let me know...

beans for everybody,

[Edited on 9-4-2007 by BeanyBoy]
XxDaTxX
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 07:51

Take too many beans as of late BeanyBoy?

Acetamide is used by organic chemists for much more than "a precursor for illegal things." That is not to say that it isn't used for illegal things, just that there are many legitimate uses if one has decided to pursue endeavors above and beyond the proverbial cook.

It is quite the standard procedure to use acetamide in the preparation of several further substituted 2-methylthiazoles and more obviously acetanilides.

You on the other hand, sound exactly like those you criticize regarding acetamide while rambling on about PbAc2. Although I have moved on from the cookbooks which you yourself seem to subscribe to, I am still well versed from my musings several years ago as to what even PbAc2 is capable of doing.

Your anti-acetamide tone is a familiar one ... yes ... give me a second ... ah yes, none other than the DEA. Anti-anthranillic acid, anti-benzaldehyde ... fuck it, anti-List I--some of which should have a spot on every synthetic chemist's shelf. Not to say that you are, but you do seem to share in their one-track-mind philosophy, or at least bathe yourself in its stench while trying to hide your own intents.

Don't get me wrong, my sentiments are definitely not with underground cook who wishes to sell his tweak to profit at the expense of others, rather for the underground chemist who wants to experiment to the beat of his own drum without big brother breathing down his neck.

[Edited on 6-4-2007 by XxDaTxX]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 10:32

From BeanyBoy:

Quote:

I let Magpie's comment pass without careful examination.

An air condenser is useful in many situations, not just the making of acetamide. That was just a particular example that came to mind.

I made acetamide just for the fun of it. It's in my 1962 lab manual and it seemed like a classic synthesis. It was educational, demonstrating the amination of a carbonyl group.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 06:34

Quote:
Originally posted by XxDaTxX
Take too many beans as of late BeanyBoy?

Acetamide is used by organic chemists for much more than "a precursor for illegal things." That is not to say that it isn't used for illegal things, just that there are many legitimate uses if one has decided to pursue endeavors above and beyond the proverbial cook.

It is quite the standard procedure to use acetamide in the preparation of several further substituted 2-methylthiazoles and more obviously acetanilides.

You on the other hand, sound exactly like those you criticize regarding acetamide while rambling on about PbAc2. Although I have moved on from the cookbooks which you yourself seem to subscribe to, I am still well versed from my musings several years ago as to what even PbAc2 is capable of doing.

Your anti-acetamide tone is a familiar one ... yes ... give me a second ... ah yes, none other than the DEA. Anti-anthranillic acid, anti-benzaldehyde ... fuck it, anti-List I--some of which should have a spot on every synthetic chemist's shelf. Not to say that you are, but you do seem to share in their one-track-mind philosophy, or at least bathe yourself in its stench while trying to hide your own intents.

Don't get me wrong, my sentiments are definitely not with underground cook who wishes to sell his tweak to profit at the expense of others, rather for the underground chemist who wants to experiment to the beat of his own drum without big brother breathing down his neck.

[Edited on 6-4-2007 by XxDaTxX]

I've heavily edited the message to which you were responding. I posted that message from work. Even tho I'm the admin here, I still tend to have a paranoid mindset, partly because I'm doing non-work computer stuff at work, and even worse, because I'm cleaning my glassware in the basement while trying to not make it look like I'm running any kind of lab down here. So in trying to provide a position statement about my interest in chemistry, why I'm doing it and why I'm not doing it, I assumed aspects of Magpie's interest in chemistry that were unfounded, and left you with the impression that I'm either smokescreening, or being judgemental. No doubt that induced some paranoia for which I sincerely apologize.

No harm no foul, I hope. Just forgive me if I don't blame the beans...

[Edited on 7-4-2007 by BeanyBoy]
BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 06:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
From BeanyBoy:

Quote:

I let Magpie's comment pass without careful examination.

An air condenser is useful in many situations, not just the making of acetamide. That was just a particular example that came to mind.

I made acetamide just for the fun of it. It's in my 1962 lab manual and it seemed like a classic synthesis. It was educational, demonstrating the amination of a carbonyl group.

That's cool. I'm sure that in the midst of my own paranoia, I assumed your interests in chemistry were some particular thing. I apologize for that. I did that ASSUME thing, trying to make an ASS out of U and ME; its never intentional, but always stupidly done. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Go To Top