Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: lab set-up
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 08:22

Quote: Originally posted by LaBoom  

fusso, that would be great but he has dimentia in the 4th stage. if you want to try to talk to him and make sense of it, by all mean, please go ahead. I can set it up for you.

I feel sorry for your dad's sickness.

[Edited on 09/05/18 by fusso]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 12:09

No lab setup should be without a decent camera.

LaBoom
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 19:34

ok, JJay, just curious why a camera is so important, do you mean for capturing events as they occur?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 19:59

A camera is a great way of recording observations. I just use my phone and find it adequate -- even for yt clips.

Jjay may be overstating the importance a little but it is great to have something that focuses well, reproduces colour accurately, copes with low light levels when needed and can record video. It means you can compare several runs of the same reaction when you need to and gives a better representation of what occurred than mere text.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 22:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
A camera is a great way of recording observations. I just use my phone and find it adequate -- even for yt clips.

Jjay may be overstating the importance a little but it is great to have something that focuses well, reproduces colour accurately, copes with low light levels when needed and can record video. It means you can compare several runs of the same reaction when you need to and gives a better representation of what occurred than mere text.

It's also good to have lots of containers (plastic bags, vials, etc.), not to mention labels. I usually just write my labels with a marker, along with the tare weight of the container and some information on the quality of the sample, but a lot of people like printed labels. It may be helpful to include information such as when the contents were placed in the container, and it wouldn't hurt to have a serial identification number on each container, perhaps indexed to entries in your notebook with more information.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 22:30

Quote: Originally posted by LaBoom  
ok, JJay, just curious why a camera is so important, do you mean for capturing events as they occur?

Oh, that's because it can be very hard to convince people of things that happened in the lab without visual evidence.

LaBoom
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 22:41

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

It's also good to have lots of containers (plastic bags, vials, etc.), not to mention labels. I usually just write my labels with a marker, along with the tare weight of the container and some information on the quality of the sample, but a lot of people like printed labels. It may be helpful to include information such as when the contents were placed in the container, and it wouldn't hurt to have a serial identification number on each container, perhaps indexed to entries in your notebook with more information.

this is why I wanted to learn chemistry in the first place.....to avoid having to replicate my dad's lack of identification and marking of unknown substances. but i see your point. you seem a lot more thorough than my dad's label of "weed killer" written on the jar. lol
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 04:06

Look through the "tour my lab" thread, a picture is worht a thousand words, you will see what every one has don and how they go about it as an idea of what to do.
LaBoom
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:37

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Look through the "tour my lab" thread, a picture is worht a thousand words, you will see what every one has don and how they go about it as an idea of what to do.

thankyou very much.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top