Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zageno?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 18:33
Zageno?

Has anyone dealt with this (What is it, exactly? Company? Service? Online market???)

https://zageno.com

Had the site come up on several searches for various chemicals, the prices including shipping looked good.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Reboot
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2018 at 16:56

Interesting. It appears to be something akin to a slick, biotech focussed Alibaba. A middle-man providing an ordering portal to many different vendors. It looks legit, anyway.

For me the bigger question is whether this system bypasses the vendor's usual vetting processes, i.e. would it allow an individual to buy from suppliers that don't normally sell to individuals?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 05:45

I have placed an order. Nothing controlled or of interest to DEA & etc. The order is to be filled through Thomas Scientific LLC, the chemical actually comes from Sigma-Aldrich.

They did ask for an employee identification number (EIN) during the checkout, that is, some proof that you are an actual business for tax purposes.

We shall see...

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 09:09

Nope.

Quote:

Thank you very much for your recent order with ZAGENO. We are excited to be working with you and happy to process your order, we just need some additional information from you first. ZAGENO works only with life science institutions. Therefore, to proceed with this order we will need a shipping address of a registered research institution, medical clinic, school, or university.

Furthermore, our vendors require you to have a pre-existing customer account with them. If you have not previously purchased from Thomas Scientific, we would gladly assist you in setting up a new account.

weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 05:22

Can't see what the point of that site is then. It seems trivial to search the very large and very common vendors for products--there's no gain from yet another middleman. It's easier to order from those companies on eBay or Amazon than dealing with two layers of people hostile to amateur science.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 05:58

One interesting thing: Free shipping.

The supplier would have charged me $25 for shipping a package weighing less than a pound of a product costing less than $40.

I don't quite understand their reason to exist either, unless it is to get the provider companies "foot in the door" with new businesses and individuals in life sciences completing their university studies/about to become customers.

(Edit)

I do more frequently buy small quantity chemicals for testing and prototype work off of eBay and Amazon rather than the big chemical supply houses, the general lack of attitude by the sellers and not requiring a proctological exam on ordering is a large part of that choice.

In particular, I have seen some interesting items from an Amazon vender calling themselves "HiMedia". It would appear that another company I used to buy such things from has developed this brand or subsidiary to target, well, maybe people like US?

EM?

Sodium azide

Lead nitrate

Sodium nitrite

And this HOLY FUCK?! These guys SHIPPED that?! combination:

1-Chloro-2, 4-Dinitrobenzene

Ethanolamine

[Edited on 5-17-2018 by Bert]

weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 10:33

HiMedia has excellent prices and availability for all sorts of things, stock items (I think my last order with them was for benzophenone.) and rarer compounds. I have been extremely pleased with orders from them, and would recommend them to anyone in the US.

Go To Top