Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxone Promoted NEF Reaction
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 10:16
Oxone Promoted NEF Reaction

i have tried this out a few times, but for it to work completely nice, one inconsistent thing in the paper needs to be made clear. maybe someone has an idea what the authors mean in this passage:

"8 mL of a 0,5 M solution of Na2HPO4 in a 1 N solution of NaOH were added"

in HOW MUCH of 1N NaOH?

General procedures for the oxidation of secondary nitroalkanes: To a solution of 1 mmol of nitroderivative in 6 mL of MeOH, 8 mL of a 0,5 M solution of Na2HPO4 in a 1 N solution of NaOH were added.

After 1 h, 1 mmol of Oxone (R) in 3 mL of water was added to the stirred suspension. The resulting mixture was stirred at room temperature for 1 h,

then it was acidified with a 10% solution of HCl(why are they doing this? it could only protonate the unreacted nitronate) and extracted with CH2Cl2. The combined organic layers were washed with brine, dried and evaporated.

The buffering of the reaction mixture in this procedure is vital for achieving good yields, because the nitronate is the active species, while the stability of Oxone decreases with rising pH.
can anybody think of a suitably concentrated buffer, which prevents the need for huge reaction volumes?

Has anyone tried the nef reaction with K2CO3 and H2O2?

[Edited on 11-4-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

heres the reference: http://designer-drug.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/ox...

[Edited on 11-4-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 14:31

Quote:
Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve

"8 mL of a 0,5 M solution of Na2HPO4 in a 1 N solution of NaOH were added"

in HOW MUCH of 1N NaOH?

My guess would be that it's a solution in which there is 0.5mol of Na2HPO4 and 1mol of NaOH in a L... Not specially 8mL of 0.5M Na2HPO4 in XmL of 1M NaOH....

As for the acidification, I don't know. And the phosphate buffer is pretty effective, and generally used. I would stick with it the first few times at least. Also, Oxone contains KHSO4 and K2SO4 whic act as buffers themselves.
tupence_hapeny
Hazard to Others

Mood: continuing respiration (touch wood)

[*] posted on 20-5-2007 at 18:31

Developments in the NEF (and associated) reactions

http://www.4shared.com/file/16343168/c66289d2/Ballino__Patri...

We are all the sum of our experiences, and our reactions to the same

Go To Top