Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: IP ban bcuz my IP is too "dynamic"??
fusso
International Hazard

mad.gif posted on 23-5-2018 at 21:01
IP ban bcuz my IP is too "dynamic"??

So I use tor to browse SM. But tor just don't establish a circuit after a forced update and I have no fookin clues. I found that when I use an additional VPN, tor will establish a circuit so I have to use that to workaround the problem. Recently I got the ban message frequently. Almost every time I browse SM. Sometimes the ban can be as fast as a few minutes after login. Though I can reconnect to another VPN and then reenter the site and relogin, it's really annoying. My dear admins, why???

[Edited on 24/05/18 by fusso]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 21:12

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
So I use tor to browse SM.

Seriously, why?
If you are having difficulty getting tor to do what you want it to do, how is that the admins' problem?

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 21:23

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
So I use tor to browse SM.

Seriously, why?
If you are having difficulty getting tor to do what you want it to do, how is that the admins' problem?

No, seriously, I'm not accusing the admins, I just wanna know why the IP ban happened and want to not be IP-banned due to the network connections.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 22:25

I might be wrong, but the banning of some IPs may be related to minimising spam.
If tor is continually changing IP addresses (as it does) then you can expect some outages.
I would not have thought there was much practical need to browse SM on tor.

Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I might be wrong, but the banning of some IPs may be related to minimising spam.
If tor is continually changing IP addresses (as it does) then you can expect some outages.
I would not have thought there was much practical need to browse SM on tor.

I use a VPN as well, but it does NOT change IPs each time, and I got a ban message on my phone, but I'm using the same VPN on my PC, so I'm not sure whats going on.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 06:44

My explanation might be poor. But VPN is not the same as tor.
I don't know what is going on either -- just hazarded a guess.
But on a pragmatic level, do you really need that level of security for browsing SM? For some things, maybe. But here/ I wonder if it is not overkill and causing unnecessary problems.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 06:59

Yes, there are a number of bans in place due to spammers using same routes to sign up for literally thousands of spam accounts.

[Edited on 5-24-2018 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 10:07

I might be wrong, but the VPNs getting blocked could be the ''"cheaper ones". I use VPNs all the time and pay 5 euro per month for it. I never got blocked.

Ok, I got blocked once but that was because the server I was on thought SM was a baddie.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 10:55

I use VPN and one country is blocked so I just change location for SM.......... No biggie

@OP - I really don't think Tor is very safe TBH

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 11:00

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
I use VPN and one country is blocked so I just change location for SM.......... No biggie

@OP - I really don't think Tor is very safe TBH

/CJ
Why?

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 11:13

No reason really........... Daily busts of darknet users.......... All using Tor I presume
https://www.deepdotweb.com/

I just don't think it is as secure as some people make out......... MAYBE if it is used with TAILS but that's another story

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 12:04

TOR was developed with funding by and expressly for US Gov't. for their own ends, the rest of us were encouraged to use it to help annonymize the intended users by hiding them in a crowd.

Mentioning this FACT in any highly visible part of the web will still bring a shit storm of detractors upon your head, some will be freelance true believers in TOR as the Holy Grail of online privacy, some organized, with connections to those wanting to keep TOR in unquestioned and ever growing use to maintain developers personal reputation/prestige, associated corporate profits or utility for government security interests.

Read:

https://yashalevine.com/articles/tor-spooks

Then look at the resulting outrage- flak is always heaviest right over the target?

You want privacy? Don't use electronic communications.

[Edited on 5-24-2018 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 12:11

Tor without vpn doesn't make sense at all, I thought this was commonly known, as any place where TOR is discussed puts up banners to tell you so.

[Edited on 24-5-2018 by Tsjerk]
coppercone
Hazard to Others

cool.gif posted on 24-5-2018 at 14:39

represent your real IP address on SM

I AINT HIDING BEHIND A MOTHER FUCKIN RAG NIGGAAAA :mad:
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 21:43

Unnecessary acrimony, coppercone.

Mitigator
banned

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 03:35

This has nothing to do with VPN, TOR, PROXY, DYNAMIC and other words, except IP. My 5 ip addresses are banned, but I now use one which is not banned. This is my current not banned IP: 85.25.44.126. Of course not related to my location. I use same ip address on each account, although I doubt it's the reason why they detect who I am. They detect by behaviour that I am what/who I am? :o

Just one example from yesterday:

wtf.JPG - 37kB
Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 06:35

Quote: Originally posted by Mitigator  
This has nothing to do with VPN, TOR, PROXY, DYNAMIC and other words, except IP. My 5 ip addresses are banned, but I now use one which is not banned. This is my current not banned IP: 85.25.44.126. Of course not related to my location. I use same ip address on each account, although I doubt it's the reason why they detect who I am. They detect by behaviour that I am what/who I am? :o

Just one example from yesterday:

Uhh, what exactly did you do?

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 07:00

Quote:
This is my current not banned IP: 85.25.44.126. Of course not related to my location. I use same ip address on each account, although I doubt it's the reason why they detect who I am. They detect by behaviour that I am what/who I am? :oJust one example from yesterday:

You actually used a different IP for your very recent DrEvidence account, and a whole bunch of others before that. I don't bother to IP ban you.

Any member could certainly GUESS it's you again just from your posting habits when you start another account after the 50 or so times you have done that over the years. Same shit, different day.

Sometimes you also get mixed up and use the wrong account/name/persona when you post. It is very amusing.

Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 07:29

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I might be wrong, but the VPNs getting blocked could be the ''"cheaper ones". I use VPNs all the time and pay 5 euro per month for it. I never got blocked.

Ok, I got blocked once but that was because the server I was on thought SM was a baddie.

I use NordVPN

—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 07:36

People imagine all sorts of weird stuff :-

a) they are interesting enough to bother tracking
b) they are 'safe' when using a VPN
c) the CIA's tor project was made to protect identities

none of the above is ever true.

Mitigator
banned

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 07:42

I have no word to say, because I don't understand anything too. I understand only myself. People quickly detect that I am bad? Some things get quickly out of control. :o
I create new accounts to take attention of myself. Don't like be thought about as "bad".

[Edited on 25-5-2018 by Mitigator]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 10:45

Quote: Originally posted by Mitigator  
... I understand only myself ... Don't like be thought about as "bad".

If you understand yourself, you're way ahead of the game !

I don't like being thought about at all.

When too many people think about me i have to become a Norse god again, and man, that war hammer is heavy !

monkey trousers.

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 11:42

So I use tor to browse SM. But tor just don't establish a circuit after a forced update and I have no fookin clues. I found that when I use an additional VPN, tor will establish a circuit so I have to use that to workaround the problem. Recently I got the ban message frequently. Almost every time I browse SM. Sometimes the ban can be as fast as a few minutes after login. Though I can reconnect to another VPN and then reenter the site and relogin, it's really annoying. My dear admins, why???

As for the first part of your question, your country or ISP may restrict the use of Tor. If so, try connecting through a bridge obtained from the Tor Project. That may explain why you can connect to Tor through a VPN more reliably. I think the second part of your question has been addressed well enough by others without me adding to it.

I think that Tor is a bit bare just by itself. It only allows TCP traffic by design. If you want to be able to run ICMP, UDP, or other types of traffic through Tor, you can tunnel a VPN connection through Tor. OpenVPN is a great tool for doing this, as it provides some useful command line options and it plays nicely with Tor.

As an example here's one of my successful setups. It sounds paranoid, but it's all in fun. Playing with networking and Linux is another one of my hobbies:

1. Hardware packet filter w/Tor bridge whitelisted.
2. Tor configured to use bridges (standalone Tor, not the browser bundle, although you can use either). A socks server address and port is specified in the torrc file.
3. The 'ip route' command is used to set up a route for the Tor bridge to the packet filter's gateway.
4. OpenVPN is started with the '--socks-proxy' command option, specifying the Tor socks server address and port. You have to connect to the server in TCP mode (specified in the config file), since this is the only traffic that Tor allows.
5. If OpenVPN doesn't set up the default gateway once the initialization completes, then add one with the 'ip route' command. The default gateway should be routed to the VPN interface, which is usually a numbered 'tun' interface.

Once all this is done, all local traffic will automatically be directed to the VPN, which will direct its traffic through the specified Tor Socks5 server, which will send all traffic, directory requests, etc., through the specified bridge node. Traffic to and from the bridge is whitelisted in the packet filter, rejecting any traffic anywhere else on the network.

If you want to, you can use a free VPN service. The adage "If the service is free, then you are the product lol!!!" doesn't mean much in this context, as the VPN won't know who you are if you download the VPN config files and only connect through Tor. Your traffic to the VPN would appear to come from a Tor exit node. You have to be smart though. Any traffic that leaves the VPN unencrypted can be easily sniffed. If you log into something with an unencrypted connection then your passwords can be captured, etc. Another advantage of additionally using a VPN is that you have many more exit node IP address options available, whereas with Tor alone the number of exit nodes is quite limited.

If you are very paranoid you can multiply the above setup times two. In other words, route a VPN through Tor, which is routed through another VPN, which is then routed through the Tor network once again. The latency for that type of setup would be awful, so be forewarned.

Also, I wouldn't use a double VPN configuration on a system (VPN -> Tor -> VPN) unless all three parts of the chain were isolated in virtual machines or by using completely separate physical machines. If the last VPN interface goes down its route table rules would disappear, possibly causing a default route to appear that will route all traffic through the first VPN (in other words, all traffic would go through only one hop...rather dangerous).

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 11:42

Using TOR through a VPN is actually pretty save if you don't do anything on an account which already has your ID linked to it.

For example drug-dealers on the dark-web do it like this, they only get caught when they make mistakes as communicating through TOR after their VPN went down. I once had some mail contact with German lawyers after downloading some stuff while my VPN was down. No I have both a VPN-client which blocks all traffic not going through the client and a torrent-client which won't download when the VPN is down. (I got out of paying the fine by just ignoring the mail they sent me, apparently actually suing is too much of a bother).

I don't care about VPN/TOR for SM though.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 12:01

OK.

So let's get into Specifics, which any supposed Scientist would want to.

Who runs the Other end of your VPN ?

This has limited classes :-

1. Me. I own Cogent.
9. Me, but i have to use a Hosting service as i do not own a peering data centre
5. Someone else who charges me money and is my best friend and would die to protect my identity
47. A.N.Other person who would sell me to the highest bidder as i only pay them $5 a month

That 'Other End' knows where you are.
Oh ! You have multiple 'other ends'. How smart. They All know where their Other End is.

The main reason we're all pretty 'safe' is that there really is nobody protected from the authorities by such mechanisms, and nobody here is worth even taking a glance at, never mind spending a lot of $ and effort investigating.

Using these kind of supposed 'masking' services just means you think you're important, yet cannot afford either the $ nor brain power to Actually mask who or where you are on the internet.

[Edited on 25-5-2018 by aga]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top