Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: temp probes for thermoSci and IKA hotplates
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 23:15
temp probes for thermoSci and IKA hotplates

Anyone wanna swipe one of each from work for me, save me $400, ill pay.

:cool:

its a thermofischer/scientific cimerac stirrer hotplate and an IKA stirrer hotplate
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 07:04

Can't you just use any old thermocouple off eBay? Or are they weird and proprietary?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 09:42

(I'm going to take your request for a bespoke workplace theft as a joke. Because, site policy.)

Fully describe the hardware. What is thermocouple type? Probe length, material?

Crap tons of thermocouple of many types are available on eBay. I got a K type 12" TEFLON encapsulated with 100cm long TEFLON insulated lead a couple of months back- cost of this used, $20. It would have been over 10X new, and was in fine shape. You can sit it in a 100 C + nitration mixture and it doesn't seem to mind...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 09:26

I have lots of various thermocouples also, including some long Teflon ones, and many other varieties. I might have posted a photo of some a while back, not sure now.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 11:27

He hasn't signed in since 6/2, but others might be interested-

Me, when I get the time!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 05:38

Why, are you busy this time of year? ;-)

I have a photo of a few of the thermocouples and some therms on the thread at

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667&...
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 17:50

I believe that they usually use PT100 RTD sensors for these probes (at least that's what my Corning hotplate-stirrer uses). A PT100 RTD is simply a short length of ultra-pure, very thin Pt wire. It's resistance is 100 ohms at 0 deg C and typically increases by 0.385 ohms per deg C. They are more accurate than thermocouples when used over a temperature range of about 200 deg C or less. As you get further away from that temperature range they begin to display some non-ideal behavior which makes them roughly just on-par with a thermocouple.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 22:43

I'm back, lol. Apologies for asking a question and then appearing to vacate. Yes 'swipe' was a euphemism for 'anyone have a spare!!' The IKA probe i require is a thermocouple/stainless probe that terminates into a specific six pin plug so that the temp dial on the hotplate uses the probe as its measure not some internal reference on the hotplate.

The thermo hotplate is the same piece of kit/functionality only it terminates in a seven pin thermo plug.

And can i just say that after using shit stirrer/hotplates for a a decade, to move onto this uber stirrer/plates the difference is absolutely phenomenal. I acknowledge the price of the thermo unit at $1500 is some 15times that of a crappy one but its at least a 100times better.

Especially for stirring anything heterogenous, especially if solids are involved.

The ramp rate on the enormous (20cmx20cm) ceramic plate is about 100C/30secs up to 540, making it self cleaning and extraordinarily useful. Having a live digital readout on the plate temperature, means that you can edge along an exothermic reaction with a quick temp spike without the commitment of having too much excess heat in the plate once your reaction begins in earnest, something that was stressful guesswork previously (ready the ice baths).

Its just that the extra bits (such as the probe) are propriety and bullshit expensive (the thermo one is like $300, the ika one $220).
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 09:02

I think it's just a DIN connector, or a modified DIN connector? Any PT100 or PT1000 probe should work? See this page for the wiring diagram: https://donfuge.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/standalone-ika-temp...

Go To Top