Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extracting Hexamine/trioxane from fuel tablets + Discord Server For SCM
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 01:33
Extracting Hexamine/trioxane from fuel tablets + Discord Server For SCM

Pretty sure it has around 1% wax or coating, is it possible to obtain a pure hexamine/trioxane powder?

Also

https://discord.gg/3vMpzu2

Another member made a discord server, which looks like a better version of the "chat room" we currently have.
ELRIC
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 02:17

Thanks for the link DAR
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 06:49

Petroleum ether can wash the wax off or chloroform.

But Honestly to get a large amount that is clean and dry best to just make it.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:18

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

I disagree, it is much easier to get both of those chemicals OTC. It's really easy to extract hexamine from the tablets: just dissolve in water. The wax will remain undissolved and you can filter and evaporate to get pure hexamine.
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:38

For tablets containing just trioxane, it is easy to simply distill off the trioxane (bp 115C).
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 18:59

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
For tablets containing just trioxane, it is easy to simply distill off the trioxane (bp 115C).

what about hexamine?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 20:14

I had some trioxane fuel pellets, and I didn't even need to distill it to purify it. Trioxane will sublime at room temperature, or just above it. What I did, is I just left a plastic container on top of my router, which would get warm. The trioxane would sublime from the fuel tablets and condense in these oddly flexible crystals on the lid. (Incidentally, trioxane is the only substance I'm aware of that forms flexible crystals like that. Are there other substances that do that?) I'd put a container of ice on the lid in the morning, and then scrape the crystals off in the evening. The ice wasn't even necessary, but made it go faster. Granted, it took a while to purify it this way, but I wasn't in any hurry.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 23:57

Incidentally, trioxane is the only substance I'm aware of that forms flexible crystals like that. Are there other substances that do that?

Here you go
copper (II) acetylacetonate
Specially grown

Links about flexable crystals

The metal complex we used to make our crystal – copper (II) acetylacetonate – isn’t a new compound: it was first made in the late 1800s. But it’s how the molecules are arranged relative to the shape of the crystal that makes it different.

https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-just-proved-crystal...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/crystal...

[Edited on 4-6-2018 by symboom]

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 02:49

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

This source says that hexamine is soluble in chloroform.
http://chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/organic/HEXAMETHYLE...

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 10:12

Doesn't hexane have reverse solubility? As in it decreases with the rise in temperature.
I have a few data regarding its solubility in various solvents, but the data differs in some sources.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 13:45

Question:

Dubai Amateur Rocketry account was formerly used by several people. How many individuals are now using this account?

Because on one day, the posts are post graduate rocket scientist level, another day they are high school rocket scientist wannabe level???

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 16:41

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Question:

Dubai Amateur Rocketry account was formerly used by several people. How many individuals are now using this account?

Because on one day, the posts are post graduate rocket scientist level, another day they are high school rocket scientist wannabe level???

Its been 1 person ever after the first 50 posts (2013/14). It's me, its a 1 user account now.

Anyways, that is sadly what happens when you've read every literature on a sub-section of energetic materials, and have no clue what anything else is.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 18:05

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
Incidentally, trioxane is the only substance I'm aware of that forms flexible crystals like that. Are there other substances that do that?

Here you go
copper (II) acetylacetonate
Specially grown

Links about flexable crystals

The metal complex we used to make our crystal – copper (II) acetylacetonate – isn’t a new compound: it was first made in the late 1800s. But it’s how the molecules are arranged relative to the shape of the crystal that makes it different.

Hmm. Perhaps I discovered flexible crystals before those researchers did? Probably not though, since they mentioned that flexible crystals were already known of. Also, it wouldn't be very useful to have a flexible crystal that melted at about 80˚C and sublimed whenever it got warm.

Still, if anyone is curious about having flexible crystals, trioxane is a lot easier to get ahold of than that copper one.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 18:20

oops, delete this

[Edited on 6/8/18 by Melgar]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 02:43

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  

Its been 1 person ever after the first 50 posts (2013/14). It's me, its a 1 user account now.

Anyways, that is sadly what happens when you've read every literature on a sub-section of energetic materials, and have no clue what anything else is.

I can sympathize. I have been called an idiot savant. Mostly, people leave out the savant part, especially in traffic?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top