Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help verify solubility data
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 16:12
Help verify solubility data

I was converting the solubility table bmp into xls since I tried to pm him to request for the xls(x) file but he has been inactive for a long time so I think I can't get a reply from him. I encountered problems while I was inputting the data.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=66...

1. In the far down right corner starting from Fe2+ & C2O4 2-, there are a few"H" with inconsistent colours. Are the colours wrong or the letters?
2. A few organic acids' exact structure needs clarification: C4H2O4 2-(E or Z?), C6H2N3O7 - (though I'm quite sure is picric acid), C4H4O6 2-(+/- is different from meso!), C4H4O4 2- (straight or branched, though I'm quite sure is succinic), C6H5O7 3-(even though I'm sure is citric), C7H5O3 -(even though I'm sure is salicylic)
3. wtf is C14H15N2SO3?? This isnt even possible, and I don't think C14H14N2SO3 and C14H16N2SO3 are well characterized and common enough for someone to measure their salts' solubilities.

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 11-6-2018 at 08:32

1. All letters H are in red, all letters P are in blue, and all letters M are in green. So I do not see any inconsistency in the table when it comes to colours and letters.
Apparently, P (blue) means well soluble, M (green) means reasonable well soluble, H (red) means poorly soluble.
I have some doubts about how trustworthy the table is, because iron(III) thiocyanate is listed as well soluble (blue P), whereas the thiocyanate test is a known test on the presence of iron(III).

I'd look for a different source if I were you. I think that Wiki's solubility table is more trustworthy. It also gives you some numbers instead of only a qualitative description.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2018 at 09:05

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  
1. All letters H are in red, all letters P are in blue, and all letters M are in green. So I do not see any inconsistency in the table when it comes to colours and letters.
Apparently, P (blue) means well soluble, M (green) means reasonable well soluble, H (red) means poorly soluble.

rquote: In the far down right corner starting from Fe2+ & C2O4 2-, there are a few"H" with inconsistent colours. /rquote

(edit: Can't the software see it as 2 quotes instead of 1???:mad::mad::mad:)
[Edited on 11/06/18 by fusso]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 11-6-2018 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  
I have some doubts about how trustworthy the table is, because iron(III) thiocyanate is listed as well soluble (blue P), whereas the thiocyanate test is a known test on the presence of iron(III).

Thiocyanate forms a highly-coloured complex with iron(III). It does not form a precipitate.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 16:24

Silly me. Thanks for pointing that out!

Go To Top