Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking to acquire a functional HP 5890 ii GC
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 05:28
Looking to acquire a functional HP 5890 ii GC

Hello again, I am looking to source a working HP 5890 II for under $1000.00 CAD or approx. $750.00 USD. I am just wondering if anyone on the forum might have a reliable lead. I don't have much money and if I spend $1000.00 I cannot afford to have it be DOA. as I won't have much more money to put into it, for a good while anyways. I would appreciate any leads, advice or whatever. Thank you.

[Edited on 17-6-2018 by SHADYCHASE54]
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 07:30

Keep a watch on eBay. On a good day, you can pick up one for south of 450$ USD. You will need to put work into it at that price, but a member recently posted a wonderful set of photos on getting one up and running.

You're going to need support equipment too. Just for carrier gas alone, you're looking at a couple hundred bucks to get set up with cylinder, regulator, flow meter, etc.. I'd say be prepared to spend double your budget is before you get it fully running. And if you get the MSD to match, add another 2500$ USD to account for it and support equipment.

I'm working on the same goal, but I dropped 1500$ USD for a quality vacuum rig to back it. GC/MS is costly to get started in. Thankfully, it's not NMR. An EE buddy of mine recently shipped a custom NMR rig at their work--to put it this way, it cost around half a million. I don't think I'll ever own one personally...

[Edited on 17-6-2018 by weilawei]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 07:58

Indeed seems like for a good working FTIR system with every thing will be 3 k
yet to find one though
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by weilawei  
Thankfully, it's not NMR. An EE buddy of mine recently shipped a custom NMR rig at their work--to put it this way, it cost around half a million. I don't think I'll ever own one personally...

[Edited on 17-6-2018 by weilawei]

I doubt I will personally on an NMR machine, but if I do it' likely to be something more like this
https://www.ionicviper.org/forum-topic/benchtop-sized-afford...

Price back when that was posted (2011) was $20K for a new one. Give it a while and the 3rd hand market might be in my reach.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by SHADYCHASE54  
Hello again, I am looking to source a working HP 5890 II for under $1000.00 CAD or approx. $750.00 USD. I am just wondering if anyone on the forum might have a reliable lead. I don't have much money and if I spend $1000.00 I cannot afford to have it be DOA. as I won't have much more money to put into it, for a good while anyways. I would appreciate any leads, advice or whatever. Thank you.

[Edited on 17-6-2018 by SHADYCHASE54]

Are you still in the market for one of these? I'm looking at one now, and may pass for another piece of hardware, but there will be another one available in a few weeks or a month or so I think.

Go To Top