Pages:  1  ..  12    14
Author: Subject: Everyday Chemistry
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 18:12

https://photos.app.goo.gl/16SA1f7RDucAvtGh6

hey, it`s pretty.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 7-5-2023 at 19:15

I have some of the green carbonate complex of cobalt III drying on filter paper, it's a wild color to see from cobalt

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2023 at 18:31

Quote:

Edit by Texium: Changed title because the "one true thread" will likely never reappear, unfortunately.

[Edited on 4-11-2023 by Texium]

THAT'S NOT TRUE!! tHAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

anyway :(

There's a season of Trailer Park Boys which opens with Ricky collecting garbage from the park and trying to sell it back to the community. He offers some beer cans to his quasigirlfiend Lucy, saying that they would look great decorating the kitchen. "No, that's cool, thanks, if I need any I'll come get one," she says.

I mention this because I visited a weirdo friend of mine recently. With students out of the dorms, the dumpsters have been rich pickin's, and he proudly showed me his haul. I expected something like kitchen items, books, a television, but no: he had an impressive pile of aluminum cans. He explained to me that an even weirder friend of his used them as disposable pipes to smoke drugs off of before work, and thought he could use a few.

Okay, I said, but they've got paint and plastic on them, do you really want to encourage him breathing those fumes? Can't you just show him how to use a carrot or an apple?

He insisted that there was no plastic coating on soda cans. I long ago learned that he doesn't regard any of the internet as a legitimate source, believing that it has been irreparably corrupted by Vladimir Putin himself. It was show-me-not-tell-me time.

dissolving_the_can.jpg - 137kB

I scrubbed the outer layer of paint off of the lower half of a can of Diet Coke and suspended it from the tab in a beaker. Then I poured a moderate sodium hydroxide solution around it, and left it to fizz overnight.

can_dissolved.jpg - 204kB

The next morning, I had a half aluminum can, half plastic bag, still containing the Coke.

When I showed it to my friend, I definitely convinced him of something. I'm not sure of what, precisely, but he clearly felt like he had been lied to his whole life, about the nature of soda cans. He wants me to go on Christiane Amanpour and alert the general public.

And that's my adventure in the intersection of mad science, harm reduction, and the Trailer Park Boys IRL.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2023 at 19:26

Quote:
Edit by Texium: Changed title because the "one true thread" will likely never reappear, unfortunately.

[Edited on 4-11-2023 by Texium]

Can you explain?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-6-2023 at 19:40

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

Can you explain?

The original thread was lost to the aether in some kind of tech glitch.
It is probably retrievable in one of the site backups, but practically, the information it contained is lost.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 15-6-2023 at 20:47

day before yesterday, i massacred four innocent 1964 US 25 cent pieces in hot nitric acid. after two recrystallizations, i`ve got most of the blue from the copper out of my AgNO3, and a bunch of black stains on my fingers. phone broke at the moment so no pics :(

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 06:35

I got my hands on some iodates/periodates and have been running through some of the experiments on woelen's site.

One thing I found was that the sulfur/periodate mixture is slightly shock sensitive; when wrapped in aluminum foil and tapped with a hammer there was a distinct smell of sulfur dioxide, small points of purple-brown discoloration on the foil appeared, and there were even a few sparks. When I really went Hephaestus on it, I was eventually able to get a hearty snap. The reaction didn't seem to propagate much; there was plenty of the mixture left to burn afterwards.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 08:28

I've been trying to get the silver oxide oxidation of vanillin to work for ethylvanillin, salicaldehyde, and other related aldehydes, with limited success. Some of these acids really don't like to recrystallize.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 16-8-2023 at 15:21
Always lable beakers

Doing some cleanup and the permanent marker lableing a wash beaker had wiped off. No biggie, I put the 3 times refined silver nitrate in the cupboard last night and this was only rinse water. Ill just add my current rinse to it(cu+/hcl/k+/h2o2) and neturalize the whole lot later.
Son of a ;>/"& mother ahhhhhhh.
I run to my shelf, pull out my jar from last night, and discover its lable had also wiped off.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2023 at 20:13

I'd never done a vacuum distillation before so I tried cleaning up a small amount of benzaldehyde that was languishing in the organics bin, turning orange and growing crystals. Everything went better than expected! Nice clear and colorless liquid, with ~65% mass recovery from starting material I'm pretty sure is at least 15% benzoic acid. The only problem was that it took a while for the vapor front to make its way through the claisen adapter, and some moisture condensed in the receiving flask.... the last I fixed by putting it in the freezer and pipetting off the ice lumps once everything was frosty :cool:

Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 26-11-2023 at 17:38

Dioxane, first time.

IMG_0093.jpeg - 3.1MB
Oh, the joy.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2023 at 12:25
Phosphorous pentoxide + water = massively exothermic

Disposing of some P4O10
I slowly added it to running tap water to flush it away as dilute phosphoric acid,
which I believe is OK for the local waste water treatment plant.
I was surprised by how exothermic the reaction is
(more than conc. sulphuric acid or NaOH or KOH)
So much more dangerous than I'd expected,
based only on previous use in a diy dessicator.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2023 at 21:22

I had my students try a new lab today- bromination of stilbene. It worked well, although it's tough to recrystallize the product (its solubility doesn't change much with temperature, it seems).

Previous years had made 1,3-diphenylpropenone and a methoxyphenyl analgoue, so I figured, why not brominate these? The first one worked well, but the second just gave oily crap. No idea why. Oh, well.

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2023 at 14:02

I've got a paper here (https://tesla.pmf.ni.ac.rs/lgc/articles/40-1992.pdf ) that discusses the synthesis and thermal decomposition of Cu(urea)4Cl2, made by reacting copper(II) chloride with urea in a 1:2 ratio. Elemental analysis said it was 16.9% copper, consistent with the 1:4 adduct.

I reacted copper(II) chloride with urea in a 1:4 ratio under very similar conditions. My product is 24.6% copper, consistent with Cu(urea)2Cl2.

Grrrrr.......

[Edited on 22-12-2023 by DraconicAcid]

beta4
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 14:42

Today after a long time I go back to the lab for making a printed circuit board. Lately I've been busy with other stuff and I'm almost not doing chemistry anymore, but printed circuits are one of the applied chemistry that I still do from time to time, the other being analog photography.

However this time I found my photoresist developer, a sodium hydroxide and metasilicate solution, had crystallized. Likely due to the low temperatures in the lab.

So I'm sitting here, watching crystals slowly dissolve and remembering when I was dreaming of doing complex reactions that I never got around to trying, or failed.

Oh, well, I still have the lab, reagents and apparatus, so maybe someday I'll get back...

today.jpg - 93kB
beta4
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 02:26

The resulting printed circuit

built.jpg - 96kB
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 07:43

Good looking board, traces nice and sharp, crisp edges, good solder mask. I like it! Is that some kind of oscillator?

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
beta4
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 15:17

It is an oscillator. More precisely, a Baxandall oscillator [1]. I'm using it to produce a high voltage sine wave to drive the neon tubes I'm making (I've been learning the very basics of glassblowing). Here's the printed circuit with all components soldered and working

neon.jpg - 212kB

[1] Baxandall, P.J. "Transistor sine-wave LC oscillators: Some general considerations and new developments"
https://web.archive.org/web/20211222202712/http://www.sophia...

Pages:  1  ..  12    14

Go To Top