Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Impact-Insensitive DAP-4 out-performing CL-20 debunked. + Some alternate resources on energetic materials.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 25-6-2018 at 23:51
Impact-Insensitive DAP-4 out-performing CL-20 debunked. + Some alternate resources on energetic materials.

I want to share some alternative sources / search engines, but here I will talk about this first. This was suppose to be a very High-Impact paper.

Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40843-017-9219-9
Supplement 1: https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art%3A10.1007%2Fs408...
Supplement 3: https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art%3A10.1007%2Fs408...

This paper is significant as the reported 4 compounds, DAP-1, 2, 3, and 4 have low imapct sensitivities ranging from 17-23J, significnatly high with detonation pressure from 44.2-49.4GPa. Especially DAP-4, which can be synthesized from a 1 pot reaction from very cheap starting materials, out-performs CL-20 with an impact sensitivity of 23J (but friction sensitivity 36N). The reason for it was suppose to come from its perovskite crystal structure (highly dense).

However, I recently obtained data from a source that have reported that DAP-4 to have significant high impact sensitivity(comparable to TATP) [1]. DAP-4 also claimed to have a specific impules of >340, while APCP is only 245-265. The heat of formation of all 4 compounds is claimed to be significantly over-calculated, and therefore these compounds may possess only modest explosive properties [2].

Regardless of the outcome of this compound, DAP-4's tightly packing perovskite crystal structure might also contribute to impact or friction sensitivities, and potentially high densities that is very worth furhter investigation. Fnvestigating other potential energetics with perovskite group-space compounds may also be interesting.

[1] private communications with a explosive company that attempted to synthesize DAP-4.
[2] unpublished data.

I just found out that the "INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENERGETIC MATERIALS AND CHEMICAL PROPULSION" stop publishing in 2018, then I found out the reason is that the founder of the journal, K. Kuo, has passed away. Rip.

http://www.jes.or.jp/mag/index.html
This Japanese EM journals are still publishing.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/
Anyways, this is a great website to retrieve technical reports from the ARL.

https://www.foi.se
This is another website. The swedish FOI has a lot of papers on munitions, HEDMS, and energeitc propellants, although this website is not in english, the search engine on the top right corner works perfectly to retrieve interesting materials.

[Edited on 26-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 00:30

Do I understand you are claiming to debunk a published article with unpublished data?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 01:51

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Do I understand you are claiming to debunk a published article with unpublished data?

Well, I did not debunk it, the person I have privately communicated with did :) He owns a explosive testing company with a good laboratory, and he has synthesized DAP-4. I am passing on the message, since DAP-4 claims to out-performs some of the most high-performing energetic materials with only moderate density and energetic properties.

Most of the time, you can make out the heat of the formation of energetic materials, or at least to a certain estimation, and there are some cases where it goes way too off.

DAP-4, Empirically (C6H14N2)[NH4(ClO4)3], or more easily known as (H2DABCO)[NH4(ClO4)3]. Has a reported heat of formation of 1900 kJ mol-1. Which by weight, has a higher heat of formation by weight (4.4 versus 3.8), than the most energetic pentazolate salt ever reported (which has 4 carbon atoms and 20 nitrogen atoms, 10 of which, are 2 pentazolate anions) [1]. Given the heat of formation of H2DABCO, The ammonium cation, and the perchlorate anion, there is almost no way the heat of formation of such compound can reach nearly 2000 kJ mol. Another way to see it, is that DAP-4 is (H2DABCO)(ClO4)2 + Ammonium perchlorate, given that ammonium perchlorate, and perchlorate anion itself have a negative heat of formation, the amount of energy H2DABCO cation needs to bring to this table to provide the heat of formation reported in the discussed paper is astronomical and unrealistic

[1] Xu, Yuangang, et al. "Stabilization of the Pentazolate Anion in Three Anhydrous and Metal‐Free Energetic Salts." Chemistry–An Asian Journal 13.8 (2018): 924-928.
Supplementary file: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/downloadSupplement?do...

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 08:18

Maybe is for a lot researchers this description too intricate thing. But when I see In molecule NH4=ClO4, I am sure, that it will works. He is a Holy Grail of all precursors.
Bay the way. Anything you mixes with AP will works. Even pure AP is Great. All mixtures giving very pure flame. And his ability are almost incredible. Especially in frame of Giga Pascal pressures and measurements. Therefore I believe, that almost any organic compound as clathrate or even as part of molecule with AP will gived a miracle properties. Same as:

CHP scheme.jpg - 408kB
......:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

Well, I did not debunk it, the person I have privately communicated with did :)

Well, from our view that is the same, isn't it?
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 21:53

Well, Dubai's heat of formation-argument is certainly valid. Since ionic bonding is usually quite stable, it is very difficult to imagine that a salt could have such highly positive specific heats of formation.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 22:09

I'm not saying I don't believe it, usually DubaiAmateurRocketry has nice posts, but it is a bit hard to judge without more information

Go To Top