Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spongy crystal?
Xrpdguy
Hazard to Self

Mood: Suspicious

shocked.gif posted on 26-6-2018 at 04:38
Spongy crystal?

Hello guys! Few days ago i mixed 5ml of 5M solution Sodium-hydroxide with about 3grams of resin (from the Prunus domestica subsp. domestica). After half of hour resin was completely disolved and the solution was quite viscous with some characteristic smell, like fruits.
Then i added 3ml of conc. solution of Copper(II)-chloride. Then stired few times and left it.
Next morning, the solution was like a sponge and had amazing smell, like apple, not like a plum. I put it on the piece of glass and left for some time to become enough dry for storage.

Because of sweet smell i have got some ester. Which one? And what's about Copper-chloride? How is it bounded with ester?

IMG_20180102_182057.jpg - 216kB
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 07:15

My first guess would be there was some ethyl acetate in the resin mixture. It has a fruity smell.

You now have a matrix of finely divided copper chloride in resin. That should be about it.

[Edited on 26-6-2018 by Loptr]

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
Xrpdguy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 10:17

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
My first guess would be there was some ethyl acetate in the resin mixture. It has a fruity smell.

You now have a matrix of finely divided copper chloride in resin. That should be about it.

[Edited on 26-6-2018 by Loptr]

Ethyl-acetate from where? Esters are from acid and alcohol, but i mixed resin with (strong) base.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 16:41

You keep saying resin. What resin?

I am assuming that it was mobile so that you could pour it, right? It might have been dissolved in a solvent that is meant to evaporate. That doesn't guarantee that it all will, and hence the smell.

I am really just taking shots in the dark here because there really isn't enough info available here.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 19:38

Why were you mixing those things together? What resin did you use? It goes without saying you should not be smelling your mystery products.

If ethyl acetate was used as a solvent in the resin then you might have preformed an ester hydrolysis with the sodium hydroxide, yielding sodium acetate and ethanol. The sodium acetate would have further reacted with the copper chloride to yield copper acetate, which is blue, and sodium chloride. Judging by the picture you provided, there is an excess of copper chloride (because of the green color) or there was no copper acetate formed (meaning no ethyl acetate).

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 19:59

The OP states that the resin in question is sap from a plum tree, so it's probably primarily sugars, along with trace minerals and organic compounds. Since the input is an uncharacterized mixture, it's hard to say what reaction is going on to change the smell. I'd try it again with just the sap and the base and try to repeat the result, but without a mass spectrometer I don't know how far you'd get at characterizing the volatiles of interest.

Getting copper chloride crystals at all strikes me as odd. Did you measure the pH of the sap + NaOH? I would expect it to be strongly basic, and to precipitate copper hydroxide upon mixing with the chloride solution.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 03:03

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
The OP states that the resin in question is sap from a plum tree, so it's probably primarily sugars, along with trace minerals and organic compounds. Since the input is an uncharacterized mixture, it's hard to say what reaction is going on to change the smell. I'd try it again with just the sap and the base and try to repeat the result, but without a mass spectrometer I don't know how far you'd get at characterizing the volatiles of interest.

Sap, NaOH boil it for a while and you're on your way to resorcinol arent you ?
Xrpdguy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-6-2018 at 06:14

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  

I am gonna repeat the whole process, but with using different resins from different trees. If i got the same result that mean its not imortant whuch resin i use (everytime the same compound will react) .
In one month or less i am gonna scan the "sponge" on FTIR and Liquid-Chromatography and post the spectrograms here.

The idea was trying a cationic polymerisation with CuCl2 as a catalyst.
coppercone
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2018 at 08:59

Man ethyl acetate does not smell anything like apples. I dont know if your nose is weird or you forgot how apples smell like. They smell kinda sour. Ethyl acetate smells disgusting sweet i would not consider consuming it based on smell if i was a child.

[Edited on 28-6-2018 by coppercone]

Go To Top