Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Isopropyl peroxide ?
CROpyrO
Harmless

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 21-7-2003 at 07:22
Isopropyl peroxide ?

ok . i wanted to make AP but i messed something up. i had 100 ml 6% hydrogen peroxide , 25 ml hydrochloric acid and now the problem- instead of acetone i mixed 75 ml of isopropyl alcohol (CH3CHOHCH3) and for 2 days i find a oily liquid :o (it looks equal to MEKP). i did that last year , and now i am going to make it again and test its sensetivity and power . i think that it is has higher velocity then AP . can you please tell me some information about this explosive peroxide and is it posible to make a "dynamite" explosive out of it. if yes - how ??? :( ???

p.s. sorry if i had some mistakes in my english becose im from croatia.
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 21-7-2003 at 21:55

I did a search on <a href="http://www.ixquick.com/" target="_blank">ixquick</a> and didn't find anything really. But then I had an idea that <i>possibly</i> some H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> could oxidize the isopropanol to acetone:
CH<sub>3</sub>CHOHCH<sub>3</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> <sup><u> unknown conditions </u></sup>> CH<sub>3</sub>COCH<sub>3</sub> + 2H<sub>2</sub>O

Be careful!

CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2003 at 10:19

thanks . will this explosive have the same power when mixed with sodium chlorate or potassium nitrate ?
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 22-7-2003 at 10:25

Could it be possible for it to have formed some AP, then dissolved in excess Isopropyl alcohol? I would think that the water would have flushed it out though. According to the msds it does in fact form a peroxide though. I can't really find anymore information about the compound though.

If the peroxide is infact a liquid I suppose you could make "dynamite" the same way you would for any other liquid explosive.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2003 at 10:44

tomorrow i will do some experiments on it . im very interested ... maybe it is more stable then other organic peroxides . i don't know exactly how powerful it is , but i think it has a better velocity then AP . if somebody has some information or ideas about this new explosive peroxide , please post . _______thanks
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 22-7-2003 at 12:40

I don't recommend mixing <b><i>anything</i></b> with it until you know what it really is. I was just speculating; and organic peroxides cannot be regarded as stable! Safety should be your first priority! Mumbles, where can I find that MSDS?

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 22-7-2003 at 16:04

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/krubin/MSDS/ISOPROPANOL.html

In the Handling and Storage section it states "Small quantities of peroxides can form on prolonged storage. Exposure to light and/or air significantly increases the rate of peroxide formation. If evaporated to a residue, the mixture of peroxides and isopropanol may explode when exposed to heat or shock."

Also, Isopropyl alcohol is listed in several lists of peroxide forming substances.
http://www.missouri.edu/~muehs/Peroxide.htm
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~ehas/perox.htm
http://www.ehs.cornell.edu/lrs/chp/12.peroxides.htm
There are three prime examples. Note in some it is refered to as 2-propanol.

Experimenting without much knowledge of the product can indeed be very harmful. There is very little information that I can find of this substance. Without knowing how sensitive, or stable the product is I wouldn't get within 100 feet of it. Thats just me though. If you do decide to carry out this experiment please use the utmost safety and care. Please report your findings as well.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-7-2003 at 07:35

now the peroxide is started to form , it needs a little longer to form than AP . tomorrow it should be completly formed and then i will to start to test small amounts of it . meanwhile can you tell me information or a site about picric acid . thanks
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 01:14

the peroxide is formed . on 1. picture you can see what it did to a wood stick( i dipped it just that it touched the peroxide ! ) , 2. picture shows you the peroxide ,and the 3. shows you my ammonium nitrate that i'm going to mix it with. i'm still testing the sensetivity.

Image68.bmp - 297kB
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 01:17

picture of the peroxide

Image77.bmp - 297kB
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 01:21

and the 3. picture - ammonium nitrate crystals .

Image83.bmp - 297kB
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 26-7-2003 at 12:16

I have heard about the dangers of isopropyl peroxide. I had heard from account that you never distill to dryness. I have heard of some highschool chemistry classes who distilled isopropyl alcohol to dryness and the apparatus exploded due to the formation of peroxides.

TNT
shadeT
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

wink.gif posted on 8-8-2003 at 06:54
two explosives - one procedure ?

guys , i need your help . here's what i did , i was meaning to make some isopropyl peroxide , i found a solvient . the stuff in it are MEK,isopropyl alcohol and water . so i used it with the standard procedure. i let it stay in the fridge , but for 36 there was still nothing so i lowered the temp to -13 , i let it so for 2 hours , now i have a oily layer on top ( MEKP ? ) and some fine chrystals on the bottom . is it posible that i got MEKP and it didn't freeze but the isopropyl peroxide ( ? ) on the bottom has frozzen ??? now i let it on -3 so that the IP melts in a oily liquid again . it's good that the IP stays on the bottom and the MEKP is on the top so there isn't a problem like mixing them together ( could be dangeraus becose we don't know much about the IP sensetivity ) thanks for any information and help _______!!!
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-8-2003 at 08:37

the isopropyl peroxide in my mixture has molten by now , but it is all over in the liquid . ill try to freeze it again and than ill get the mekp out and than ill let IP to melt and let it slowly come to the bottom.then ill get the liquid out and there will be only IP left . there is more IP than MEKP , maybe becose the solvient contained more isopropyl alcohol . cool thing , when you make IP you get MEKP too , same thing when you make MEKP , you get IP too . the only problem for someone will be finding that kind of solvient . maybe mixing MEK with isopropyl alcohol ... ?? post info :cool:
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-8-2003 at 18:20

Have you done any sensitivity tests with the IP to see how sensitive it is compared with MEKP and AP? It sounds like IP might be pretty cool if it isn't ridiculously sensitive(as in like untransportable, more sensitive than AP). Also does the IP happen to have much smell to it?
shadeT
Hazard to Self

biggrin.gif posted on 8-8-2003 at 22:52

no i didn't do sensetivity tests , but i'm meaning today or tommorow , i have them both in my fridge so i just have to separate them . well AP would be probably most sensitive , than IP and than MEKP , but ill do some tests . for now i now that IP is little more flame sensitive as MEKP ... yes IP also smells bad but i think that not the same , well only once i had clear IP so i don't very well remember the smell , i don't belive that IP is toxic like MEKP , i got one drop on the skin and nothing happened , i just washed it fast . well you could make your experimental yields , few ml , to do some tests , i made a little more but i'l try detonation tests too ( IP is fuse sensitive ) . ill post all new info that i find about them . post your info too
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-8-2003 at 23:11

I just finished adding catalyst to an IP synth.

-23ml of H2O2, boiled down from 260ml of 3%
30ml of 91% isopropyl alcohol
8ml of 93% H2SO4

Temperature never exceeded 10C on the acid addition. Temperature increases was much less than with AP or MEKP, also no hissing was observed during acid addition the way it is with AP or MEKP using H2SO4. Unlike my AP and MEKP synths nothing has formed by the time the acid all has been added. Since concentration doesn't seem to be too big a factor with IP(original poster got IP with 6%) I assume that it just takes a while to form or maybe requires temperatures below 0C as shadeT observed. It's in my freezer now.
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 01:49

yes , IP needs much more time to form , 4-7 days . i heard that light speeds up the reaction , so ill try to put some lamp in my fridge . my mixture is also still in the fridge , but the IP didn't form ... ill wait few more days . IP apears as oily bubbles on the bottom as i said , i have some tiny bubbles starting to form , maybe 2 more days now . i hope that the results will be good . ill post info about yield and sensitivity ... (post your info)
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 10:13

After 12 hours nothing as formed, I thought perhaps using sulfuric acid would allow the reaction to procede more rapidly. I'll allow it to sit in the freezer for several days. What were the specifics of your synth shadeT? It would be helpful to know this in trying to get similar results.
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 11:02

i used 100 ml of h2o2 ( 12% ) , 15 ml sulfuric acid and 80 ml of the isopropyl alcohol+mek mix. i never made IP with just isopropyl alcohol ... so i dont know much about that reaction ... i will try to make it with just isop. alc. as you did . tommorow ill buy 12% h2o2 becose i don't have more , and ill do it with 70% IA , ... about the reaction . you could speed it up by leting it opened in the fridge , it will stink but speed up ( this night ill let it stay opened with a mini lamp ), and as i said light will speed up too . just let your first mixture in the fridge for a few more days , that's a little shity by this explosive , it needs more time than other peroxides , but its worth it . ill experiment tommorow with your synth . ill post information :)
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 13:13

Also, I have attempted to prepare this chemical. I used:
190ml of H202 around 9%
20ml HCl-31%
75ml 2-propanol-91%
The reactants were cooled in -5 celcius temperature for an hour to knock the temperature down. The flask was stirred vigorously before placing back down to set. As of 24 hours, no results have formed. I have not had any light present, so that could affect it.
When/if I get any results, I shall post them.
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-8-2003 at 01:54

did somebody had succes making IP ??? i will make some pics of IP and post.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 20-8-2003 at 11:29

After the week or so has gone by, no liquid is seen on the bottom of the flask. However, there is a foggy white mist that is heavier than the solution. when the flask is tipped on the side, the fog eventually settles down on the bottom. when the flask is 'rolled' around, tiny bubbles are emitted from the bottom, very slowly rising up. I was thinking that these small bubbles could be HCl coming out of solution, but I have no evidence to back it up, as they are very small and in small quantity.
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 20-8-2003 at 13:34

im thinking that white filmy shit on the bottom there could be a very small amount of acetone peroxide. made from the IPrOH being oxidised to acetone by H2O2(very small amount that is) then tunring to AP. my first atempt at AP was useing 28% HCl with the same ratios used for 75% H2SO4(so it was seveely under catylized) and it had a white film on the bottom like you describe.

just my theory on it.

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-8-2003 at 23:42

well , i have to detonate IP or just throw it away , becose it is realy sensitive and all comounds ( tried to make it more stable ) have the same sensetivity . so a better thing would be making just MEKP . and here a interesting thing , i got also such a foggy thing but only when i used 6% conc h2o2 , with 9% and 12% i didn't see the foogy thing but i just had MEKP on the top ( i'm using the one procedure - two materials method ) ... this is realy strange !
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top