Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What bacteria do I have?
Nate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 20:39
What bacteria do I have?

The title explains itself:

20180711_213411.jpg - 2.9MB
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lookin for a lab

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 23:03

I have seen cultivation like this, I think its a common one (In public areas), don't remember which one (E. coli, may be). but to be sure you gonna have to provide way higher resolution..

http://www.youtube.com/c/TheMrbunGee

If you get to the result - you can't be doing it wrong!
Nate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 23:05

Alright! I post a better resolution one tomorrow, somewhat late where I am :P
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 23:29

Quote: Originally posted by Nate  
Alright! I post a better resolution one tomorrow, somewhat late where I am :P

By "way higher" I meant microscope image. :D If you cant do that - don't bother, as a photo - resolution is good.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 05:47

You can't say anything useful based on this picture, just that it looks like there are some bacteria growing on there. That is it.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:10

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
You can't say anything useful based on this picture, just that it looks like there are some bacteria growing on there. That is it.

Based on color and pattern you can say a lot. especially if it looks like really common bacteria. I bet it's E. Coli!

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 07:54

If you really want to identify based on color/pattern, using a differential growth medium (like MacConkey's agar) is recommended.

As below, so above.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 08:20

I have to admit that after zooming in on that picture my first bet would be E. coli as well.

@Nate; do you have some details? Where did you get these bacteria? What medium are they growing on? What temp?

A simple first test would be determining whether they are Gram- or Gram+. See attachment, I guess NaOH would work instead of KOH, but I never tried.

If you want to check (99%ish sure) if this is E. coli you can take a small sample of one of these colonies and inoculate a bottle with lactose medium, which you can close air-tight. Make sure the bottle is completely bubble free to ensure anaerobe conditions. E. coli is one of the few species able to grow in these conditions.

This is a classic way to test surface water for feces; take 0.1 milliliter of water and use that to inoculate the lactose bottle and incubate at any temperature above 19 degrees Celsius. At 20 degrees it can take a couple of weeks, but at 37 you should have growth in about 24 hours.

[file]69351[/file]

[Edited on 13-7-2018 by Tsjerk]

Attachment: KOH STRING TEST.pdf (337kB)
This file has been downloaded 10 times

AlexC
banned

Mood: :(

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 10:23

I don't think it's important what bacteria. It's any or many or all bacteria. I've heard that some companies/organizations give money to test subjects who expose themselves to deadly bacteria. Some people have courage. According to some people, if there were not any bacteria or if we would so much reduce them by cleaning ourselves, we would immediately die.

I mean bacteria are everywhere, and each is contaminated, except if you are some pro and isolate them.

There are poeple who eat feces, urine, ants, soil, every day and have no disease or any consequences. According to many, only when your stomach is full of undigested food you will suffer, die, feel pain etc. Normal bacteria in empty stomach will get digested I believe. Only when it has content on which to grow it can injure you.

I mean there are birds, cats, dogs who eat from dirtiest places and are alive and well. Maybe not all, but there are. Maybe not too much food keeps them alive, maybe not mixed, maybe some optimal environment...
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 11:41

@AlexC; I have have read shit, but yours tops a lot of it.

MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 12:00

I think that post is almost ready for detrius. :D
AlexC
banned

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 12:45

Just saying truth. This whole topic is for detritus because I don't see bacteria without microscope. It could be anything, maybe rust or poop from pigeons. I seen people feed dogs green bread and dogs losing hair and skin, and those saved them from slow painful death by shooting them. They consider it supported by all religions. They say "we saved our dogs, god will save us".
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 15:33

@AlexC, going on the assumption it is bacteria what could it be.

It could be anything, true. But go with the info you have been provided until you know otherwise.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 00:27

Quote: Originally posted by AlexC  
I don't think it's important what bacteria. It's any or many or all bacteria. I've heard that some companies/organizations give money to test subjects who expose themselves to deadly bacteria. Some people have courage. According to some people, if there were not any bacteria or if we would so much reduce them by cleaning ourselves, we would immediately die.

I mean bacteria are everywhere, and each is contaminated, except if you are some pro and isolate them.

There are poeple who eat feces, urine, ants, soil, every day and have no disease or any consequences. According to many, only when your stomach is full of undigested food you will suffer, die, feel pain etc. Normal bacteria in empty stomach will get digested I believe. Only when it has content on which to grow it can injure you.

I mean there are birds, cats, dogs who eat from dirtiest places and are alive and well. Maybe not all, but there are. Maybe not too much food keeps them alive, maybe not mixed, maybe some optimal environment...

You should stop eating weird bacteria, it is clearly messing you up!

AlexC
banned

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 03:53

Thanks for concern, but only if that would be possible. I mean there is bacteria everywhere, we can only reduce concentration, but eliminate fully would be impossible or inefficient. Actually I eaten a bit of high concentration of bacteria in various ways, some of them a bit embarrasing, not to mention, but there is one more problem. One night I was working with NO2 and PbO2. That was actually first time I smelled NO2 and first thing I noticed is that smell was well known to me. I don't know from where, when, but it was known. Did I inhale it before? I can't remember. Also all PbO2 dissappeared from my hands the next day after I took sleep with hands coated in it. It had smell too. Difficult to describe. Maybe "metal smell". Did I lick it or inhale it or it got absorbed in skin? I did taste it a bit and it had "metal taste". :(

Forgot to say. I also have some culture growing on my hair which turns hair into yellow color. I forgot it's name, but I found that article on wikipedia. Even after shaving, bathing, putting strong acids or oxidants on them, they reappear. Small yellow beings.

Also one day I had to go to school in shirt soaked in H2SO4. I spilled it accidentally, and didn't have time to clean or find another shirt. All I noticed was itching of skin, but it dissappeared when I took it of.

Also I always overeat on cakes. When I buy them I think I will be able to eat them. Then I get satisfied after eating 10% and actually that is already too much, feel nausea and wanna vomit. And throw them in garbage and say "I will never eat them again". 90% of cakes/money gets into garbage. Then next day I repeat whole process. Always worrying about stomach or shitting whole day.

Btw did you notice somewhere that I am messed up? :o

[Edited on 14-7-2018 by AlexC]
Ubya
Hazard to Others

Mood: Random

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 04:00

ok you must be a troll or a very stupid kind of guy.

this sure is for detritus

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make, i want to improve ;D
---------------------------------------------------------------------
j_sum1
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
14-7-2018 at 04:04
j_sum1
Super Moderator

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 04:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Ubya
ok you must be a troll or a very stupid kind of guy.
this sure is for detritus

As you wish.

Go To Top