Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how to thouroughly clean copper?
tnhrbtnhb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2007 at 21:11
how to thouroughly clean copper?

I need some help cleaning a copper cooling coil. I used silicone caulk to glue parts of the apparatus together and I didn't realize the acetic acid it releases would be enough to corrode the copper... but there is plenty of green (oxide?) around the points that were glued :-(. It's all over actually, the acetic acid vapor must have accumulated around the coil for some time.

This is bad because there is going to be food under a pan under the coil (water condenses on the coil and drips into a pan, but some will miss) and copper is actually pretty poisonous - 1 milligram per day is the absolute "upper limit" that one should consume per day according to the FDA. So I don't want any dissolving in the water and getting in the food.

So, how should I go about cleaning any water soluble copper off the tubing?

I thought of soaking it in hot water, but it's already attached to the apparatus and I don't know if I even could.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2007 at 22:01

Water is likely the best way. Actually a rinse in dilute HCl to remove the basic copper salts, followed by a rinse in bicarbonate solution, then several water rinses might be better.

You could try scrubbing with water and a small brush, followed by a good spray rinse. Do not let ammonia get around the equipment, you'll get more copper corrosion.

If this is food processing gear, you should have used food grade caulk, or at least aquarium grade which does not outgas or leach out much. There's other crap in caulk that you may not want leaching out and dripping into the product.

[Edited on 24-5-2007 by not_important]
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 05:07

Strip off all the caulk and soak the copper in a tub of salt and vinegar...Hot vinegar works the best, if you can work with it. It may seem counter-intuitive to use an acid to clean it, but trust me on this one - It's standard practice when cleaning copper pipe for building stills. The last one I built began with a scrap 2"x5' pipe covered inside and out in green. I cooked up a paste of vinegar/flour/salt, packed the pipe full of it, and left it for an hour - Rinsed it out, and it was shining like it was brand new.

If you see me running, try to keep up.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 05:33

I've some experience with cleaning copper coins using vinegar and salt. Just use household vinegar and drop in a couple of tablespoons of salt for every liter. I think for a copper pipe it would be enough to just throw the solution through a couple of times.
If you have a completly black copper coin and you hold it in the solution a couple of seconds it brand new again.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 10:04

Cleaning the copper is a good start. Wet copper corrodes in air so you need to make sure it doesn't corrode again. IIRC the traditional way to do this for copper saucepans was to coat them (inside) with tin.
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 13:53

Catchup (ketsup) works really well, too. It's acidic + salty, and the thick stuff will stick in place long enough to clean the copper if you can't reach it for mechanical cleaning. Just make sure to rinse well. :)

Z
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 14:11

I have had to clean copper in a lab I used to work in, and we used very dilute nitric acid and steel wool. And this was on expensive equipment too, the washings came off slightly green/blue, but noone seemed to care.

tnhrbtnhb
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 21:01

so far the ketchup looks best because the rest of the thing is made of aluminum (sorry I should have mentioned that.... it's basically a pressure cooker with the cooling coil and valves built into the top.) or a flour paste so I don't want to put a highly salty solution in it (and I don't have any nitric acid ;). It'll be a pain to apply it though so if anybody else has got any more bright ideas.... :).

I used food grade caulk, ("rtv 108") but apparently almost all non-toxic silicones give off acetic acid as a byproduct of the polymerization process itself,.

I was worried for a moment that the copper would corrode even under normal circumstances but water pipes are typically bare copper in there, so it can hardly be too bad right?

Does anybody have an easy way to test for the presence of copper in food? Then I could know what's happening (copper can cause nerve damage so I'd better not "just try it an see"). Maybe I could mail some money and a sample to a friendly amateur chemist :D </rediculousnaiveoptimism> 'cause I probably don't have the equipment or chemicals.

I'm NEVER working with "food grade" bs again!
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:56

Go To Top