Printable Version  
Author: Subject: aniline -- MnO2 + H2SO4 --> hydrochinone
mxa
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 15:35
aniline -- MnO2 + H2SO4 --> hydrochinone

hi,

..read on wiki, that MnO2 can be used to oxidise aniline to hydrochinone with H2SO4 - but I found no further info on reaction conditions...

so my thoughts are to give aniline and MnO2 together and drip in ca. 50% H2SO4 under boiling - in molar ratios but MnO2 and H2SO4 with a little excess - in hope that hydrochinone can be crystallized out the solution afterwards...

do you think it would work this way - or do you have further info / experience about this ? info would be wonderful !! :D

thx & greetz mxa

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by mxa]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 15:57

I would never base an experiment solely on the BS to be found on Wilkepedia. If you really want or need to make hydroquinone out of perfectly good aniline, I suggest you consult the bona fide chemical literature for those details so lacking (or if present, so unreliable) in that online heap of rubbish.

There's a vast amount of real chemistry that can be accessed for free. So use it.
mxa
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 16:31

hui - thx for veryfast reply...

..well - looked up for some info about MnO2 - and (german)wiki said: MnO2 is used as an oxidiser on industrial scale to convert aniline to hydro..quinone (:D)
..also I found some time ago an old german article about the oxidation of styrene to benzaldehyde - same conditions as described were used - I wonder - don`t know nothing - about the mechanism for that on aniline...

well - I used TFSE, googled, and searched several patent-databases... found nothing about it (wiki lies again??!!) - but I`m hooked on this idea - although I think, most people want to do it the other way around - hydroquinone to aniline...

..looks like some testtube experiments for me in the next days... :D

greets mxa

sauron - do you have any more ideas for free accesable chemistry on the web about this ? thx

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by mxa]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 17:08

Sure.

Organic Synthesis -ten collective volumes representing annual volumes since 1921 www.orgsyn.org

The forum library. Gattermann, Vogel, Cohen etc.

ACS journal database freely searchable

Get access to MadHatter's ftp site and download hundreds of gigabytes of free references

The patents are often just a waste of time. Not to be relied upon.
john_do
Harmless

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 00:11

Quote:

MnO2 is used as an oxidiser on industrial scale to convert aniline to hydroquinone

In my experience, industrial chemical processes do not always work well in the home. But please try and post your results.
tupence_hapeny
Hazard to Others

Mood: continuing respiration (touch wood)

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 02:38

I just had a thought, which means it probably ain't going to be much chop, but anyhoo...

Can I make aniline via a Hoffman degradation of Benzylamide (aka benzoicamide - sorry going mad in my old age)? IF so, would hypochlorite do the job?

tup

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by tupence_hapeny]

We are all the sum of our experiences, and our reactions to the same
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 03:31

Hoffmann degradation of benzamide is described in Organikum, it only works if you are following a proper procedure.

A word of warning, Hoffmann degradations have often produced brown crap instead of product for me. I have never been able to run a successful Hoffmann degradation on anything but urea ---> hydrazine (and that is a special case).

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!

Go To Top