Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hello from a newb and q's
Glaudge
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2007 at 20:02
hello from a newb and q's

hello from a 14 year old newb.

i just happen to love chemistry, especialy (home) experimentation, i have been trolling anonymously for a while untill i finaly got the internet hooked back up at my house, and registered the other day.

about me:

14 yrs old from SE kentucky, USA
just finished jr high and will be freshman in few months. i would like some ideas on some experiments to do, bercause the childish cheep chem sets dont amuse me all that much. (i'm not synthisising AP or the like mind you)

projects done so far:
homemade BP (used drill bit with a large drum surrounded by sandpaper for the grinding because we dont have a ball mill, neither did I/we use water or alcohol, would also like to know how to go about making it into cubes, then granules, because we just mixed kno3 stump remover: 75% ground charcoal dust: 15% and sulfur flower/powder from pharmacy:10% thoroghly(spellcheck needed) untill a black-grey color was present)

KNO3-sucrose: about half and half, lots of smoke and big pile of residue carbon)

(aq)Ca acetate/ethanol gel: used limestone and vinegar for the CaCOOH, will use CaOH when we can find it at the store

ammonium nitrate-soda bicarb >ammonia carb-soda nitrate: ammonium nitrate from cold packs, it never had ingredients on it so i dunno about urea or not, but soda nitrate-sulfur didnt really burn so well, ?which signifies urea might be present???

can bisulfate be used as dehydrating agent for ester making? vinegar-rubbing alcohol-bisulfate?????????????

any things for me/we to try?

will ky antec report you for purchasing nitric acid? (love that stuf, even if i have never seen the stuff in my life.

thank you,
Glaudge

p.s. pardon my spelling
ssdd
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 07:50

Hi there. My names Tim, I am in South Jersey and just turned 18.

I have some ideas for experiments you could try that are for the most part safe but I am not sure what chemicals you have on hand. The KNO3 and Sucrose was the first experiment I ever ended up running in october of last year. If you stick around here and ask the right questions I have found you will learn a ton.

If you have access to a high school lab it makes things much simpler and safer as I have found. But at your age I would guess you may not. Feel free to U2U me or find me on aim. (Button should be bellow)

Good luck!

Note: While Nitric Acid can be fun and amazingly useful, you must always be carful with it I had an experiment a week or two ago pretty bad and got a nice burn from the stuff. :(
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 09:17

i have regular house hold items, including the sulfur, acetone, denatured alcohol, stump remover, medical H2O2 (3%) calcium acetate (running low right now but making more atm). things i dont have(yet) muratic/hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid, permanganate, chlorate, etc.

[Edited on 31-5-2007 by Glaudge]
ssdd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 12:42

Some where I had read awhile back about taking sulfur powder and blowing it out as a dust cloud over a flame, apparently it gives a nice purple fireball. I've never tried this one but on small scale it should be fairly safe.

Once you have the permaganate you can add it to the hydrogen peroxide, it will bubble and generate oxygen. You can hold a smoldering wood splint over this and it will reignite.

If you can get a chlorate and the sulfuric acid you can mix the chlorate and sucrose in a 50/50 mix and drop a few drops of concentrated sulfuric acid onto this, it will self ignite in a fairly spectacular show. (I've done this a few times its pretty neat and burns hot!)

Edit: You can take the stump remover and dissolve some into boiling water (until it is saturated) You can take this saturated liquid and pour it into 2 test tubes (or something of the like) Take one and set it into a salt/ice bath. It should give a pretty cool "snow" effect as the kno3 precipitates out. Then leave the other to sit over night and it form large kno3 crystals that are pretty spectacular. The kno3 can be recovered from this experiment so little is lost.

Hope some of these were of help.

I don't think you can be reported for buying nitric acid, but who knows any more.

[Edited on 31-5-2007 by ssdd]
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 13:23

Fine sulfur powder, in my experience, sticks to everything (static cling?), but it makes bright blue "sparks" (and choking clouds of SO2...hold your breath and take a step back) when blown into a fire

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 13:25

Glaugde, please pay attention to your posts, correct spelling and the like. Shouldn't be a problem for a freshman.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 15:55

[Edited on 1-10-2007 by chemkid]
ssdd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 01:46

Yea I'm about 15 miles south of Philli. Familiar with Woodbury at all?
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 20:23

You guys keep talking about KNO3 like it's buying eggs. Where are you getting this stuff from?
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 17:36

stump remover from walmart, k mart, home depot or other garden or home improvement store
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 19:39

How pure/useful is it?

Go To Top