Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: This forum needs more moderators
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 00:42

Holy shit............ The WHOLE first page of todays posts is spammed......... YES........ THE WHOLE PAGE

:mad:

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 10:18

Got one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer
Spammers software

XRumer is a piece of software made for spamming[1] online forums and comment sections. It is marketed as a program for search engine optimization and was created by BotmasterLabs. It is able to register and post to forums (forum spam) with the aim of boosting search engine rankings. The program is able to bypass security techniques commonly used by many forums and blogs to deter automated spam, such as account registration, client detection, many forms of CAPTCHAs, and e-mail activation before posting. The program utilises SOCKS and HTTP proxies in an attempt to make it more difficult for administrators to block posts by source IP and features a proxy checking tool to verify the integrity and anonymity of the proxies used.

Interesting there is a user with that username

He would post test just a test its the 2nd time i saw that ppst thwn he deletes it

[Edited on 27-7-2018 by symboom]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 18:38

This spam wave is not of lurkers. Why not disable registration altogether, until certain posted times when heavy moderation is planned.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 21:07

I'm pretty concerned about turning away legitimate new users, but yeah, i can actually see where you're coming from.

Maybe, on the registration page, we put something like this:

"Hello future ScienceMadness.org user.
Unfortunately, we are currently dealing with a very serious spam problem. As such, we have temporarily turned off registration.
But don't despair! We want you on the forum. We know it's a bit of a hassle, but if you could please send an email to scimadregistration@gmail.com [or something like that] letting us know that you're an actual human and we will set you up an account and email it back to you. (Be sure to use the email you want associated with the forum)
The username and password can both be changed later.
We're sorry for the inconvenience."

That email account can be patrolled by the mods and new accounts can be set up as needed.

Perhaps, if the email starts getting spammed, we could add in a "code" so that the email doesn't get spammed all to hell too. I dunno, something like:

"In the subject of the email, please include the name of the metal prepared by mixing copper and zinc, commonly found in plumbing and gas fittings. This is so that we can find your email amongst the spam."

Then we could just search up every email in the inbox containing the word "brass" and find them all. And the code could be changed if the spammers get really sophisticated. (I doubt this will happen tbh, they'll decide it's too much work and screw off.)

It would probably mean a few more mods but it would completely kill the spam problem. We could go back to normal once they give up.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
weilawei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-7-2018 at 01:57

How about hashcash? Force a new user to do a time-consuming computation. Force another round to reply or make a new topic. It was originally developed as a technique to cut down on email spam, but the situation here is exactly analogous.

[Edited on 28-7-2018 by weilawei]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 04:27

Can we get the system software to throw out posts that are not mainly in the Roman alphabet?
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 12:13

Hey look at that... The entire first page again.
Something needs to be done here, this is getting out of hand.

Screenshot_20180729-131214.png - 362kB

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 13:03

That was three full pages of spam. Sigh. At least it's mostly gone now.

So far as I know I'm a "trusted reporter", so anyone else that is "trusted", or "semi-trusted" (has been here longer than 60 days and has more than 50 posts) can help nuke this stuff by reporting one of the posts from a given author. I usually report every spam post from an author (not just a few posts) when I'm close to a computer, so if someone else just gets a few of them it should still take out all the trash.

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 13:08

Is the automated spam deletion script working? I thought it was reported to be malfunctioning.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 14:15

It worked well today. I have been the one complaining about it because there have been a number of posts that I have reported and I know others have reported and that are still hanging around hours later. But this morning I saw mass deletions of spam and five spammer accounts obliterated in the time it took me to clear my inbox.
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 30-7-2018 at 11:52

Yeah...that XRunnerTest is a little unnerving. If someone is using that to test, then all is well and how can we help?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:38

I think there are certain times when there's no mods/admins online due to time zones?

GameBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:49

Leve the forum secure, and no need for anybody to "do" anything. No need to "protect" or "clean up" except maybe from few trolls rarely. There are stupid people telling me after rain "go clean up that rain" or when some animal gets into property "go chase that animal out of property". These people are stupid obviously, and real solution is to fix that broken roof through which rain falls inside, and close or fix that fence through which larger animals go through. It's stupid to dry or chase. Similar to how doctors try to "treat" disease, instead of just not making (producing) them. Charles Linden talked about this stupidity in his method by saying "anxiety can't be treated or healed" but only cause removed. Same is with forum, leave that stuff to the software, not to humans, except small part. Sure we need doctors to do surgery in rare cases, but thinking that they will protect us from our bad habits or death or solve all our problems for us is insane. Similar to how police and nobody can't protect us from abusers, insane aka crazy people, evil people. Just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSv8neBxd_w
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by GameBoy  
Leve the forum secure, and no need for anybody to "do" anything.

How?
Are you suggesting we don't let anyone post anything or that we don't allow any new members or what?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:39

Quote: Originally posted by GameBoy  
Leve the forum secure, and no need for anybody to "do" anything. No need to "protect" or "clean up" except maybe from few trolls rarely. There are stupid people telling me after rain "go clean up that rain" or when some animal gets into property "go chase that animal out of property". These people are stupid obviously, and real solution is to fix that broken roof through which rain falls inside, and close or fix that fence through which larger animals go through. It's stupid to dry or chase. Similar to how doctors try to "treat" disease, instead of just not making (producing) them. Charles Linden talked about this stupidity in his method by saying "anxiety can't be treated or healed" but only cause removed. Same is with forum, leave that stuff to the software, not to humans, except small part. Sure we need doctors to do surgery in rare cases, but thinking that they will protect us from our bad habits or death or solve all our problems for us is insane. Similar to how police and nobody can't protect us from abusers, insane aka crazy people, evil people. Just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSv8neBxd_w
And obviously one of the trolls that need to be protected, cleaned up and eliminated is you.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 11:37

You are both bat shit crazy. If you can transfer the forum to a better secured platform I'm sure you will be welcomed a lot.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 13:43

i agree with the timezone theory. i have watched helpless as a stream of threads appears. its to the point where if its full of spam, i just leave. over it. i offered to be a spam killer but the forum software does not support that ability.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 14-8-2018 at 01:35

Another forum I am a member on limits the number of posts a 'new member' can post to 5 per day until it has been confirmed they aren't a bot, a spammer or a troll (or some time has elapsed). That way if someone signs up to post spam then they only get 5 posts before it is locked automatically. It works quite well other than the occasional gripe from someone who is genuine and wants to join a discussion on their first day of joining.

It doesn't completely fix it - but it helps prevent a lot of it.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top