Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1/2 gallons of H2O2 of 3-5% available at supermarket for ~$3
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 22:03
1/2 gallons of H2O2 of 3-5% available at supermarket for ~$3

I was at the store and I notices a bottle labeled "chlorine free" liquid bleach and it is a "green", all natural brand (Full Circle Market). All the bottles were extremely bulged, the bottom was rounded and most had fallen over. I couldn't press the side in even a little, so there was a lot of pressure in there. I was curious so I bought one anyway and told the staff they might be dangerous if they popped (I didn't know how strong the concentration was at the time). It is a nice thick white HDPE, 64oz and $3.49 or so.

I got home and did a search and got a couple different SDS/MSDS reports, one said 3%, other said 3-5%.

Then a day later I found Clorox "ColorLoad" (non-chlorine bleach) and the MSDS says 1-5% H2O2. it's a 60oz bottle that was $2.99.

I compared the reaction of the one I bought and medical 3% and the bleach was MUCH more vigerous. I had dried blood on white rag (cut pulling wires off a circuit board inside a power supply, damn sharp plastic & metal) and the bleach did an amazing job removing the blood compared to the medical grade (which was only 1-2 months old). IDK if it is b/c it was stronger or if it may have some in it to alter the pH (raise it) like a pH buffer. It seems blood removes better in a higher pH. I'v also tried this with 35% before and was surprised that it wasn't much more effective than lower strength (3-5%) H2O2 when directly applied.

So for the same price that you can buy a 24-32oz bottle of medical H2O2 3% you can get a 1/2 gallon of this stuff. Not bad if that is your only option, and if you need to dilute an acid then having lower concentration H2O2 isn't a big deal b/c you are going to add water anyway.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 27-7-2018 at 22:43

Interesting... what store did you purchase this at because 3% hydrogen peroxide costs about 8 dollars for me in here in Alaska. Overpriced for such a small amount (the medical container size).

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2018 at 01:17

Alternatively if sodium carbonate as an impurity is acceptable (or neutralisable)
then sodium percarbonate (OXY) type laundry bleach is a fairly cheap,
convenient, concentrated source (21.66% w/w if pure) of hydrogen peroxide.
and it does not try to inflate its container during hot weather :P

[Edited on 28-7-2018 by Sulaiman]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2018 at 01:46

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
Interesting... what store did you purchase this at because 3% hydrogen peroxide costs about 8 dollars for me in here in Alaska. Overpriced for such a small amount (the medical container size).

Just a local grocery store. I would think that most grocery stores in the US would have these.

As far as the oxyclean, that is a good source too, I ordered 10 lbs of sodium percarbonate for about $10 which is MUCH cheaper than oxyclean. I think it was from some seller on Amazon or Ebay, it was many years ago, but it worked very well. no matter how much I told my mom it was the same thing, she bought her 20oz tubs of Oxy for like $16 and seemed to use A LOT of it.

Some people just don't beleive others when they are informed about the chemical content of things, its odd. They either think "we" are too dumb to know what's in a product, or that the company is so smart that there is a secret to it. IDK seen this so many times when people buy crazy expensive stuff when they have the same thing in bulk sitting on their shelf (but w/o fancy label).
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2018 at 14:41

If you're in the US you can find gallons of 30% H2O2 at many Hydroponic stores for around $30-40

Go To Top