Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what did i get ???
CROpyrO
Harmless

Mood: Good

shocked.gif posted on 2-8-2003 at 09:04
what did i get ???

here's what i did. i had a solution of cupric sulfate in water and electrolysed it . in the end i had a dark brown liquid and some green stuff on the bottom.now i filtered it and put in the fridge(the liquid) on a ice bottom at some -5 to -10 . for a hour/two i had some green chrystals on the bottom and still the brown liquid . my question now is what is the solid and the liquid that i got ( could it be some acid or what ) ????????????????????
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2003 at 10:47

What did you use as electrodes?

Electrolysis of copper sulfate can produce sulfuric acid, but that is colorless.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 2-8-2003 at 11:20

It depends what kind of electrodes you used. If you used iron, the green stuff is Fe sulphate which is green, and it's forming without electrolysis in the presence of CuSO4 . Or maybe is copper hydroxide. As you have the brown stuff there I guess it's some Fe hydroxide, so I bet you used at least one Fe electrode. Use carbon electrodes in the future.
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-8-2003 at 13:16

yes , i was meaning to get sulfuric acid and yes my electrodes are from iron , so if i use carbon electrodes it should form sulfuric acid ? but how to get sulfuric acid out of the solution ? and another thing - i did the same thing with ammonium nitrate , do you know what is there in the soluton after i have electrolysed it ????
a_bab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2003 at 10:50

Well, see how my mood is ? I'll try not to be too rude, but learn some chemistry for god sake. Don't flood this forum with stupid questions like "I mixed up salt and sugar, what did I get ?!"

Any average chemistry hobbyst know that iron will replace copper from copper sulphate. Thus, the green stuff you've got didn't actually need the electricity to be formed.

If you need sulphuric acid, you can get it from bateries, or as a drain cleaner. Making it is not an option, especially at your knowledge level.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2003 at 11:13

a_bab, there's no need to flame him.
Although I agree his questions are a bit....

As polverone said, he'd like to run this forum with as less moderation as possible, because we don't attract as much kewls as roguesci (yet). That's also why they have more harsh rules (which I have no problems with.)

CROpyrO I'd suggest you'd look up some basic principles of electrochemistry.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2003 at 12:44

oki, I'm calmed down now.
CROpyrO
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-8-2003 at 13:29
i'l go fishing than

yes , i am to dum for chemistry , there's no need to fuck up a great forum like this one . ok goodbye ,

Go To Top