Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: House hold products to 100% HNO3?
zeppelin69
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 18:43
House hold products to 100% HNO3?

I just had a revelation. I dreamed up a not so direct, but worth while synthesis for 100% white fuming nitric acid without the need for any expensive distillation setup. In fact I am pretty sure you can just about buy everything needed at Wal-Mart.

The first step is to get DCM (dichloromethane). It is commonly used as a paint solvent, but seems that it is becoming phased out, as I cannot find it anywhere. So, improvise by making your own. This can be done by synthesizing chloroform from acetone (or denatured alcohol, or methyl ethyl ketone) and bleach (either Clorox, or even better calcium hypochlorite for pools). This mixture is distilled, and can be done with very improvised setups like a glass coke bottle with rubber tubing coming out of it. The chloroform is then reacted with hydrochloric acid to yield dichloromethane. Which should be redistilled using the same setup.

The nest step is to add a nitrate to sulfuric acid and chill the mixture in a freezer. Then add the DCM and carefully a few chunks of dry ice. this should precipitate out pure anhydrous HNO3

I have not tested this yet so please let me know if there are any obvious reasons why this will not work. I will be trying this very soon and post in detail exactly how it worked exact measurements of the chems etc.
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 18:46

Whats the point of the DCM?
zeppelin69
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 18:52

Sorry, I was a little vague, the DCM acts as a solvent for the nitric acid. When the CO2 is added, it frezes out and can be seperated form the rest of the mixture by filtering.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 18:57

Quote:
The chloroform is then reacted with hydrochloric acid to yield dichloromethane.

Care to elaborate on that reaction?
zeppelin69
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 19:26

That was the one step that I wasnt completely sure about. I know that iodoform will react with hydroiodic acid to give diiodomethane, but I have not yet tried that with chloroform and HCl yet.

I belive it would go something like CHCl3 + HCl > CH2Cl2 +Cl2

Of course that is just a quick write up without all of the possible products. since the hydrochloric acid is dissolved in water I am sure there will be imputities form the chlorine forming in water.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 19:58

That's because HI is a reducing agent (i.e., I2 is a poor oxidizer, under the conditions of this reaction).

More likely, you'll get it through reduction of CHCl3 (with what, Zn maybe?), or by chlorination of methyl species. For instance, you might do the gaseous synthesis (over a heated catalyst): CH4 + 2 Cl2 = [CH3Cl + HCl] + Cl2 = CH2Cl2 + 2 HCl. Being a stepwise reaction, you'd get CHCl3 and CCl4 as impurities. You might instead start with methanol, chloridating it to methyl chloride, then chlorinating that by one step to CH2Cl2.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 22:12

You might wish to look at http://srdata.nist.gov/solubility/sol_detail.asp?sys_ID=60_2... and http://www.springerlink.com/content/n0707q2571152526/, which document the solubility of HCl in CHCl3 and other solvents, with no mention of reaction.

As Tim said, the reaction she no go. However, this may not be a problem as HNO3 is also somewhat soluble in chloroform. However, trichloromethane freezes at -63 C, unlike dichloromethane which freezes at -97 or so.

There are a few other problems with your proposal. First, distilling chloroform through rubber or vinyl tubing may give you a surprise. Second,
Quote:
The nest step is to add a nitrate to sulfuric acid and chill the mixture in a freezer. Then add the DCM and carefully a few chunks of dry ice. this should precipitate out pure anhydrous HNO3
is going to freeze the acid along with anything else, as you say nothing about separating the organic solvent from the acid+salt mixture.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 23:55

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important
You might wish to look at http://srdata.nist.gov/solubility/sol_detail.asp?sys_ID=60_2... and http://www.springerlink.com/content/n0707q2571152526/, which document the solubility of HCl in CHCl3 and other solvents, with no mention of reaction.

Could always use a phase transfer catalyst such as a quaternary ammonium compound. You can get a dichlorocarbene intermediate (CCl2) by reacting CHCl3 with base this way. I don't think you can get CH2Cl2 easily from the dichlorocarbene though. I can't find such a thing in any of the texts I have. I think the reaction just goes all the way to formic acid.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 04:06

I know a finely ground mixture of sodium bisulfate an sodium chloride produces anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas with moderate heating. It may also be possible to do the same with sodium nitrate, this conceivably would yield anhydrous HNO3.

proposed reaction

NaNO3+NaHSO4 --> Na2SO4 + HNO3
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 05:42

It is, but you get a large amount of NO2.

Nitric acid is typically distilled as H2SO4 + MNO3 = MHSO4 + HNO3, where M is an alkali metal ion. An excess of H2SO4 helps get the crud out of the flask later.

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 08:15

Quote:
Originally posted by smuv
I know a finely ground mixture of sodium bisulfate an sodium chloride produces anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas with moderate heating. It may also be possible to do the same with sodium nitrate, this conceivably would yield anhydrous HNO3.

proposed reaction

NaNO3+NaHSO4 --> Na2SO4 + HNO3

As Tim said, you get a lot of NO2, which means water as well. Nitric acid is not that stable and must be treated gently, these temperatures are too high.

I don't think that dichloromethane can be made from trichloromethane via carbene route, and even if it did form some the yields would be poor. Better to try chloronating natural gas, with the receiver at 0 to 5 C so the chloromethane stays a gas and in the reaction zone while the polychloromethanes condense out. As HNO3 is soluble in all of the chloromethanes a mixture of the di and tri chloromethanes is acceptable and will have less water dissolved in it than straight CHCL3.

Dichloroethane might work, (CH2Cl)2 made from ethylene glycol, concentrated hydrochloric acid, and zinc chloride.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 11:48

Ya know what, a mixture of CHCl3 and CH2Cl2 would have a lower melting point than either one pure. Do mind the carcinogenicity of the products (up to and including some amount of CCl4)!

Tim

Go To Top