Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electroplating of Tungsten Carbide
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

Mood: PERFECT

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 12:34
Electroplating of Tungsten Carbide

How to plating Tungsten carbide using electrochemical technique?
My raw material is Tungsten carbide alloy which use in cutting tools in lathe!!
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 13:39

Cheaper tungsten carbide grades (C2) are tungsten carbide particles in a metal matrix, mostly cobalt, 3-5%.

Maybe quick nitric acid etch followed by silver electroplate?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 15:07

Tungsten carbide is conductive, isn't it? Etching the cobalt (or whatever) should give plenty of tooth for whatever process.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 10:29

I tried with 15g NH4Cl dissolved in 145mL ammonium hydroxide and run electrolysis "anode=tungsen carbide tool, cathode= graphite", I noticed silver plating on graphite but when I heatd the solution the layer disapeared, and I filter my solution after anode decrease about 20g of its origin weight, I get a green solution and I seperate gray powder.. I tried to evaporate about third of origin volume, but I didn't get any precipitate..
Now.. what is the gray powder? Is it tungsten, cobalt, nickel!!
How to detect?

What about tungsten reaction? specification?!!
Tungsten plating with nickel to form heavy alloy?!!
I have pure tungsten rod! How to make sodium tungstate?

[Edited on by SAM4CH]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 14:16

Whataf?

Dude, you said you wanted to know about PLATING the tungsten carbide.

Then you go on to say you made a basic ammonium chloride solution and ran your carbide as the ANODE? Metal doesn't deposit from an empty solution and it certainly doesn't deposit on the anode!

If you wanted to DISSOLVE the stuff, and perhaps plate out tungsten or cobalt, that's different, and you should say so!

And lastly, since you DO appear to be interested in dissolving the stuff, why not read up on composition a bit, hmmm?! "Carbide" toolbits, these days, are exclusively sintered material, not solid. The bonding agent is 5-20% cobalt.

Tungsten carbide, being what it is, is not going to react. You will get a solution (or plating out on the cathode) of cobalt, and tungsten carbide sludge falling off the anode.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 18:17

If you use strong HCl, with the carbide as the anode, a good amount of the carbide will be oxidized to insoluble yellow tungstic acid.
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 20:42

Yeah, I did not want to plate from empty solution but I need to make pure tungsten salt first to make plating solution!!
If my grey powder still tungsten carbide how to test it? and how to make soluble salt of tungsten like sodium tungstate?
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 21:44

It is not clear if you are trying to
A) Plate onto tungsten carbide, or
B) plate tungsten carbide onto something

B isn't going to happen, at least not with aqueous chemistry.
Tungsten metal can be plated out from fused salt mixtures, I believe a mix of sodium tungstate and carbonate but I don't have the book handy so no promises on that.

Tungsten metal can be dissolved by
1) Fusion with NaNO3 + NaOH at 400 C, followed by dissolving in water
2) Treating the metal with H2O2. This is fairly slow for massive tungsten, and you have to keep adding more H2O2 as it is in part decomposed as well as reacting.
3) Use the metal as anode with 4 N NaOH solution, and dissolve it electrolytically.

The tungsten carbides are fairly inert, and likely would best attacked with the fused NaNO3/NaOH mixture.

To test if the powder is tungsten carbide, you have hardness and density, and after that elemental analysis - a simple form would be heating some in a stream of oxygen and testing the resulting gas for CO2, solid for tungsten (as WO3)

The powder could be cobalt, deposited as such from poor control of the voltage and current. It would dissolve in moderately acid, giving pale pink solutions. Evaporate to near dryness, add enough water to dissolve, add NaOH dropwise to get Co(OH); when slowing adding hydroxide to the Co salt the Co(OH)2 is usually blue, sometimes pink. Adding an excess of NaOH and warming will dissolve the ppt to give a blue solution. You can also do the borax bead test for cobalt.

[Edited on 14-7-2007 by not_important]
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2007 at 10:33

I tried to dissolve Tungsten in H2O2 and it dissolved well but what happened? and how to prepare sodium tungtate!!

Go To Top