Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: increase light input to solar cells
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2007 at 10:23
increase light input to solar cells

i had heard that orbiting space stations use solar cells to produce electricity and that above the earth's atmosphere sunlight is 10 times as intense as at sea level. i was wondering if a thin plastic fresnel lens could be used to increase the intensity of light entering a solar cell at sea level and if so how many times normal sunlight intensity could conventional solar cells accept without some type of damage or failure and would electrical output increase linearly.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-8-2007 at 13:21

Your brief wording implies laminating a fresnel right over the panel. This is useless, because it saves no area. The fresnel needs to be at a distance (some ratio of the focal length) to concentrate the light onto the panel's economically limited area.

I don't know what the limits are for power output. Probably, cells become less efficient and last shorter when intense light is directed on them. I don't know if there is a saturation where more light causes very little additional electrical output. The panels must be oriented to gather enough light, since the response becomes very directional, instead of merely the sine of the angle beteen the panel and the sun, which can stand wide variation. You at least have the opportunity to block harmful UV radiation with a suitable coating, and a modicum of armor against micrometeorites by the lens' thickness.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 29-8-2007 at 13:53

The problem is getting rid of the waste heat. Efficiency of PV cells drops as they get hot. It is quite feasible, however, to use reflectors for a 2:1 or 3:1 concentration ratio. The other point is that lenses work well for point light sources (like the sun) but fair poorly under diffuse light conditions (cloud cover). Google "compound parabolic reflector" for a good diffuse light collector design.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
phase_dancer
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 00:07

I was quite impressed with this guy's earlier designs, as they were featured on Australian television a couple of years ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1487858.htm

http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/

Go To Top