Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iodation of double bond benzalacetone
Filemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 16:54
iodation of double bond benzalacetone

Markownikoff's rule doesn't work in this case. That position is preferably iodide benzalacetone?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 17:24

Hmmm, you mean addition to PhCH=CH-C(=O)-Me?

A tug of war between the benzylic H and the alpha-carbonyl H.

I'd expect the benzylic to win and get iodated, (iodinated?) but only the lit. knows for sure.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 22:40

So.. I'm going to stick my neck out here a bit to try and learn something .. I mentioned I've been away from this stuff for awhile? So here goes and cut me to shreds if you will but please explain as you go.

2-iodo-4-phenyl-1,3-butadiene by way of the enol -> abstracted hydroxyl -> conjugated pi system stabilized carbocation at C2

2nd order SN2 reax

or is this total organic phantasy?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 23:34

Filemon: That double bond is too electrophilic to getting iodinated to a stable product. Only very nucleophilic C=C double bonds add iodine. Besides, what does the Markownikoff's rule have to do with iodinations? The addition of I2 on a double bond can only give one product (except for side products arrising from the proton elimination in the intermediate halonium ion or similar side ractions). You can only talk about the Markownikoff's rule in electrophilic additions where the constitution of the nucleophile differs from the electrophile (which is obviously not the case in the additions of I2 and other halogens).
You can consider Markownikoff's rule, for example, in hydroiodinations (additions of HI on double bonds). In the case of benzalacetone the addition of HI would proceed in a normal fashion for a 1,4-nucleophilic addition (Michael addition). The product is not stable and can probably only exist in equilibrium conditions (it eliminates HI at the first chance it gets).

Chemrox: I would not know since I really don't know what you are talking about. Please explain using chemical terminology.

[Edited on 12/10/2007 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Filemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 04:27

Excuseme, I have explained bad. I have misled. I wanted to say hydroiodation with HI.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 20:39

OK the compound is: 4-phenyl-3-buten-2-one right? HI is the reagent that is reacting with it. In solution, 4-phenyl-3-buten-2-one undergoes keto-enol tautomerism with the enol tautomer resonance stabilized in a highly conjugated system, double bonds at C1-C2, C3-C4 easily shift to C2-C3 and C4-to the rings system. The carbocation at C2 forms when the enol hydroxyl (nomenclature please) is pulled off by a proton from HI. Once formed, the carbocation easily undergoes nucleophilic attack by the iodine ion. Rate is determined by the removal of OH. That part is the higher peak on the energy diagram. A second, shorter peak represents the substitution by the nucleophile, I-minus.

The part I'm shakiest about is the resonance thing. Why would that stabilize the carbocation at C2? Is a resonance structure that places a double bond on the carbon alpha to the ring between it and the ring, all that big a contributer?
(Edited to add the second paragraph)

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by chemrox]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 00:29

There are no carbocations or tautomers involved (except for the tautomerisation in the last step). I have no idea where from you got such complicated explanations. The reaction is just a most simple 1,4-nucleophilic addition or a general reaction of what is more commonly known as Michael addition when the nucleophile is a carboanion. Its mechanism is thought in every basic organic course and can be found in any basic organic chemistry book.
Searching for "nucleophilic conjugate addition" or "1,4-nucleophilic addition" gives numerous explanations and depictions of the mechanism. Linked are just two the Wiki entries and the picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugate_addition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_reaction

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 20:30

Well shit! @Nicodem: Thanks- How I got to that? I was sitting in my living room, watching a movie on TV with all my books at the office and wanted to see if my first hit was on the mark. NOT. Thanks for reviewing it and correcting the work. Here's what I've decided. I have a good text on retrosynthetic methods with lots of reactions diagrammed out. I will work my way through the illustrated reactions writing out the mechanisms until I feel like I can push e's again. If I don't do this I'm affraid I won't get past being a technician.

Go To Top