Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sulfur chloride-drying precursors
6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 18:32
sulfur chloride-drying precursors

When passing chlorine gas into molten sulfur from chlorine that is produced from TCCA+ HCl., is it absolutely essential to dry the chlorine in order to obtain a reasonable yield?

I have tried twice to pass chlorine into molten sulfur and have failed generally to obtain a reasonable yield or a yield that is somewhat quick to occur. I am currently hypothesizing that I need to heat my sulfur even more.
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 01:25

To get this reaction to happen at all, i've found you need to distil off the sulfur chlorides as they form. Its quite a complicated setup, but that's what you need. The drying will impact yield but not a whole heap if it isn't perfect. I doubt that's where your problem lies.

A chlorine generator, run through some CaCl2 or sulfuric acid, then into the heated reaction flask, then have your distillation setup coming off that. No need for column or getting a reflux going or whatever, but you need to collect the product and pump in the chlorine at the same time. Good luck, it is pretty bloody awful
6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 05:43

Here is my setup:

IMG_1315[1].JPG - 2.9MB
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 18:18

Ah its the same glassware I use. Long live the claisen adaptor. Although a sideways Allihn condenser triggers me a bit, but if that's all you have then you work with what you got I guess.

Ok so there could be a couple of things going on here. The fact that that's a layer of sulfur over everything (oh god, the memories) implies that you are distilling some sulfur chloride but it is then being decomposed by the water. Putting some drying in the chlorine would help yes. Everything in the photo also looks wet, so if the humidity is high or it literally rains on your setup, that wont help either.

My suggestion would be to get that Vigreux column, plug the end with cotton wool and then loosely pack in with some dry CaCl2. The stick it in the Claisen adapten, (clamp it) and continue on.

Other areas to improve likely are the heating, but perhaps also the chlorine rate. If you put a lot of heat in but not enough chlorine, you'll just start to boil off the sulfur (~450 degrees C) and that may be what you're seeing with the sulfur over the setup. Put some drying in there and overdo the chlorine.
6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 18:22

Do you have any idea as to how vigorous the chlorine addition rate should be?

Go To Top