Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does water and acetic acid form an azeotrope?
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2018 at 18:22
Does water and acetic acid form an azeotrope?

I have a large quantity mixture of acetic acid and H2O. It's got about 60ml of glacial acetic acid in 500ml h2o. I want to recover the acetic acid but I'm not sure if it forms an azeotrope with water. I know they have close boiling points so fractional distillation is a must correct? Also what is the highest concentration of acetic acid I can obtain from fractional distillation?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2018 at 18:47

There's no formal azeotrope, but water and acetic acid are very hard to separate. Theoretically, you could achieve 100% acetic acid that way, but it's going to take a long time.

Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2018 at 07:08

Usually high concentration (>90%) of acetic acid are prepared by neutralizing the solution with a base of choice (hydroxides, carbonates, bicarbonates of sodium or potassium) followed by boiling off the water and drying of the acetate salt. This acetate salt can then be liberated with concentrated sulfuric acid and distilled from the mixture.
The starting point is usually vinegar at 5-10% acetic acid and is concentrated by fractional crystallization. Therefore you have less liquid to boil down in the next step.
Since you've got ~12% acetic acid I would recommend the crystallization.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 12:49

You can separate acetic acid via fractional distillation but you need a reflux ratio of 10 or more so it is very costly in terms of energy. You can neutralize acetic acid with sodium bicarbonate (both otc and cheap).

Other acids like oxalic acids can be used to release the acetic acid but that is a special reaction with caveats because it can literally blow up in your face.

Go To Top