Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Platinum group refining...companies?
Waffles
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 09:29
Platinum group refining...companies?

Does anyone have any experience with refiner companies? I have this impression that they are incredibly adept at cheating people out of their materials and moneys.

I've done a lot of work with individuals, but the people I have worked with in the past are weary of making up these horrible acid cocktails to dissolve my platinum stuffs.

Any recommendations/warnings/advice?

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 10:02

I know some people who do jewelry work and recycle scraps of silver and such. They basically sell it back to the company for money. The best any company will give them is about 70% of market value in store credit, much less if you want actual money. I wouldn't expect much better service from refining companies.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 10:25

I have sold Pt scrap and a little Au to Midwest Refineries in Michigan.

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/index.htm

They have a great website, worth a look at in itself.

They claim to be an old family run business. I dealt with them all the way from New Zealand. They sent my refunds as company cheques and I never had any problems with them. Send them an email and discuss your situation, they will accept any quantities.

Regards, Xenoid
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 13:08

They are a very well-known and heavily used company within the precious metals community in the USA, though their core business is ~90% Ag and 14K Au. They can be trusted as far as any in their business.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 18:12

I'm not quite weary just yet :-)!

But most often, you won't get even close to full spot price, for most PGMs it seems ~80% of spot is what one would get, gold and silver usually around 88-94% of spot depending on who you know.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 18:54

Well I guess spot price is for precious metal dealers. You could only ever hope to get spot price if you had a minted bar with the purity stamped on it. Or a Krugerrand or Eagle or some such coin, and you were negotiating with a dealer.

If you are dealing with a refinery they will always assay (analyse) the material first, they probably have to hedge their precious metal dealing etc. and make a profit. So even if you gave them a bar of "pure" platinum you would be unlikely to get more than 90% of spot price.

From memory I think I was getting 90% from Midwest, but it was 90% of a price that was about $50 less that spot (when Pt was about $1000/oz). They did include the assay results however, which seemed reasonable from my knowledge of the material.

Edit: I found an old settlement return, Midwest payed 89% on Pt and 94% on Au and that included the assay, but the market price was always somewhat less then spot, as noted above.

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 29-10-2007 by Xenoid]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 15:53

Xenoid--Don't even count on that either. I've sold a lot of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium bullion coins and ingots from Engelhard, Credit Swiss, JM, and Heraeus to several local dealers, and never got spot, it's always a few percent of the metal's spot price away from full spot. Then they turn around and retail it for a few percent over spot price. That's how they do it. But when I'm in a rush and don't feel like going through the bank I normally do, I'm willing to lose a couple hundred dollars in the exchange rather than wait for the assay to clear.

94% is about right--I have a hookup for 95 for gold, 92 for Pt, and 90 for Pd, and 96 for silver.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 21:45

ha Xenold i used a refiner in NZ when i cashed in some pt crucibles i bought at action, you are in NZ and sent to the US so that means anyone in the US should send to Aus.

but seriously using a dealer to use a refiner is the best bet if you are wary of being skimmed from, just make sure the dealer provides you with documentation from the refiner, that way transparency is maintained. Any conspiracy to defraud you wouldn't be worth it for them, unless of course you have heaps of metal.
A jeweller friend will often split his cache (after ingotting) and send it to two different refiners because he is paranoid, however he does admit that there hasn't ever been much of a discrepency.
i had some 75g of Pt when refined produced ~73g Pt, i then sold that to the dealer who ha organised the refining without viewing it for 95% spot price, if i remember correctly i got around $AUS60/g 18months back. Not bad given the 8boxes of lab shit i found the crucibles in i bought for $AUS70. If i remember correctly my wife promtly spent $400 of it at the hairdresser. The refining cost was $140.00 this may be more expensive if your Pt isn't pure as mine obviously was.

Go To Top