Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: propionic acid from chloroacetone
Filemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 14:25
propionic acid from chloroacetone

Is there somebody that has synthesized propionic acid from chloroacetone (favorkii reaction)? I have proven with KOH it bases, solvent ethanol and to boil. It has not worked. Before making other tests with other temperatures, if there is somebody that has synthesized propionic acid with favorkii reaction or if with substratum one cannot make because polymerize too easily?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 17:34

From Merck Index entry on Favorskii Rearrangement:

Detailed experimental procedure: D. W. Goheen, W. R. Vaughan, Org. Syn. coll. vol. 4, 594 (1963). Application to the synthesis of carboxylic acids: T. Satoh et al., Bull. Chem. Soc. Japan 66, 2339 (1993). Applications to asymmetric synthesis: idem et al., Tetrahedron Letters 34, 4823 (1993); E. Lee, C. H. Yoon, Chem. Commun. 1994, 479. Reviews: A. S. Kende, Org. React. 11, 261-316 (1960); P. J. Chenier, J. Chem. Ed. 55, 286 (1978); A. Baretta, B. Waegill, "A Survey of Favorskii Rearrangement Mechanisms" in Reactive Intermediates, R. A. Abramovitch, Ed. (Plenum Press, New York, 1982) pp 527-58

The examples I recall seeing employed stronger bases than NaOH, such as alkoxides and the products were esters.

Is your purpose to explore the Favorskii or to obtain propionic acid?

If the latter I suggest you oxidize n-propyl alcohol.

This does not involve any nasty lachrymatory chloroacetone.

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Filemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 18:37

I have read is enough you on Favorskii rearrangement (wikipedia, Organic Syntheses, books, patents):

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/default.asp?formgroup=basenpe_f...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favorskii_rearrangement

I have read abaout Favorskii rearrangement (wikipedia, Organic Syntheses, books, patents):

Many bases can be used. But its more used it is KOH and solvent alcohol. I have read in a patent that the good temperature of the reaction is 60º at 100ºC. But I suppose that it depends on the substratum. I have seen in other patents work to low temperatures (0ºC). I decide to prove chloroacetone because it is easy to synthesize and the cheap and easy reagents of getting. I have planned to prove the reaction with other substratum but before I have to synthesize other ketones. I have only acetone.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 18:55

Patents are often deliberately vague, misleading and unreliable. At best they are suggestive. But never to be relied upon.

Wilkepedia is a joke.

KOH is indeed a stronger base than NaOH.

If I understand your post, you have not been able to make this reaction work, is that right? So my suggestion stands. Go back to the literature and see if anyone ever made propionic acid this way and see what their conditions and reagents were.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 22:28

Wikipedia is remarkably good for what it is but it is not a technical journal. Sometimes Merck will give you enough references to get good information if you look them up. Sauron say patents are less than useful. My own experience is sometimes they are quite complete and accurate but as he indicated they can leave out essentials. Many bees have had frustrating times following patents. It's instructive to know a synthesis well and then look up its patent documents. As to propionic acid, its hard to follow your English.. consider getting some help with it. Propionic acid is cheap and the Ca salt is common and cheaper still. Making it the way you're talking about would be a miserable exercise IMHO.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 22:36

I think filemon is interested in the Favorskii rearrangement, and chloroacetone is just his idea of an easy and cheap substrate.

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 02:29

Quote:

Wikipedia is remarkably good for what it is but it is not a technical journal.

Wikipedia can be excellent (see article on polythiophenes) but most of the time it is mediocre at best. If you must use it, check the references and their credibility first. There's alot of original research and assumptions on wikipedia.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
WizardX
Hazard to Self

Mood: wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 15:30

Lets assume the Favorskii Rearrangement does work for a minute.

chloroacetone, CH3-C(=O)-CH2Cl ==[Favorskii Rearrangement]==> CH3CH2COOH

The CH3-C(=O)-CH2Cl enolate cyclizes to a cyclopropanone intermediate, which then ring cleavage (ring opening) must occur for CH3CH2COOH

Think about!!??

Albert Einstein - \"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.\"
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 15:51

Filemon may not have made a particularly sage exemplar.

In fact it would be interesting to prepare 2-chlorocyclobutane and see whether or not cyclopropylmethanol can be obtained from it via Favorskii conditions.

Cyclopentylmethanol is certainly had from 2-chlorocyclohexanone. I would bet that cyclobutylmethanol is had from 2-chlorocylopentane.

Doubtless the answers are in the lit. Is there a Favrskii review in Org.Reactions, or Chem.Rev?

leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 18:08

As has been said before by another member elsewhere, it would be a lot easier to react MEK with calcium hypochlorite getting propionic acid and chloroform via the haloform reaction :cool:

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 18:22

Favorskii on 2-chlorocyclohexanone gives ring contraction to the Cyclopentanecarboxylic acid. The rearrangement does go through the cyclopropanone intermediate, both 1-Br and 3-Br MEK give the same isobutyric acid.

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/favorsky-rea...

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv4p0594

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv6p0368

Named Organic Reactions has a chapter on the Favorskii rearrangement.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 20:59

n_i, I already cited that procedure from Org.Syn. in the second post of this thread.

Unfortunately the other refernce that looks promising, from BullChem.Soc.Japan 1993, is not part of the BCSJ compilation I have which ends in 1991, and it is anyone not Favorskii per se but a modification.

Likewise I obtained the JCE review article cited in that Merck snippet, and it is concerned with Favorskii application to bridged bicyclic compounds. So pretty useless here.

The older review in Org.Reactions is in volume 11 again not one of the volumes found in MadHatter. The forum library has volumes 1-3, and MadHatter has vols 25-on but there's a rather large gap. I own vol 10 in hardcopy but not vol 11. Alas. I am not motivated enough to go buy a second hand copy of vol 11. Not unless I find something I need to make this way.

I have Named Reactions 3rd ed. But what they have is 2 pages and little more than what Merck Index offered. Attached.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by Sauron]

Attachment: Pages from Name Reactions.pdf (93kB)
This file has been downloaded 1100 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 00:26

And here's the much awaited Bull.Chem.Soc.Japan paper, which I am uploading before reading.

It's interesting but pretty useless since the antecedent papers by same principle author are inacessible in some Japanese-language journal so no details are at hand on how to prepare the key intermediate alpha-chloro-alpha-sulfonyl ketones. They are using LDA (lithium diisopropylamide) as base.

Volume 11 of Org.Reactions is looking more and more necessary if we are going to make any real headway with Favorskii.

not_important outlined the most generally acceoted mechanish for cases where alpha-hydrogens are present. There is a different mechanism entirely for instances where alpha-hydrogens are not available. See the JCE paper for details.

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by Sauron]

Attachment: 66_2339.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 753 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2007 at 07:11

I obtained the Favorskii review chapter from Organic Reactions Vol. 11 courtesy of gsd.

According to it, chloroacetone and bromoacetone do rearrange to propionic acid.

Chloroacetone by treatment with KOH in ether

Bromoacetone by treatment with potassium methoxide in methanol

References 98 and 103.

Unfortunately these references are not very accessible. One is a thesis from the University of Nancy, France, in the 1930s. The other an article from Bull.Soc.Chim.France also 1930s. You might find the latter in a good library.

The Favorskii is stated to be very sensitive to reaction conditions.

So it would appear that this reaction does work, however little help with experimental details is forthcoming from the literature.

[Edited on 29-11-2007 by Sauron]

Go To Top