Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anti-virals
joe69cool
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 22:03
Anti-virals

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards synthesises of anti-virals and anti-biotics. I remember seeing a patent search engine once but I dont know where it is. Any references would be helpful.

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by joe69cool]

\"Why oh why didn\'t I take the blue pill?\"
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 23:01

That covers a great deal of territory.

Arm yourself with Merck Index, which you can download for free.

Some of the standard textbooks on medicinal chemistry will be very helpful too.

Can you be more specific about which antivirals you are particularly interested in?

A lot of these things are not really synthetic, particularly antibiotics.

Many antivirals are modified nucleosides (example: AZT)

And the hardest part is purification. HPLC and gel-permeation chromatography typically. Without the ability to rigorously purify pharmaceuticals, the crude products can do more harm than good.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 17:12

Where do you download merck index for free?

Chemkid

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 17:25

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2245331/5a78115f

filename: merck123.rar

That's the 12th edition. You burn it to a CD and install the software to access the data on the CD from your HDD.

And you need RAR archiver to open and unpack.

chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 17:30

This is both free and legal?

joe69cool
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 20:09

Sorry for being vague, but I'm not exactly sure where I want to begin. Many years ago my interest in chemistry began with explosives and then the rhodium files. After studing them for many many hours a day for years, I feel very comfortable in my ability to follow almost all the procedures I've seen there. Now that my chemistry set is coming together, I'm looking for something more difficult and legal to execute (with basic lab equipment -- distillation, gel chromatography, glove box, distillation, rotovap, etc.) As illegal drug analogs (and coming up with new ones) have interested me lately, I am interested in coming up with analogs of medicines. Sadly, I have been without access to a university library for more than a year, but will in another month or two. Anyway, I appreciate your pointers, but I hope I have explained my intentions better. I will download the index when I have a computer of my own. And I will read some more medical chemistry books in time. Thanks again.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by joe69cool]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 20:31

chemkid, that is my PERSONAL 4shared folder. I have offered to GIVE you a copy of that file. Do you want to ask me if it is legal? If so then please don't download it. The question is both naive and rude. Or are you a lawyer for Wiley?

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 20:46

joe69cool, I don't think you are going to be able to make any antivirals or antibiotics with your "chemistry set" and based on your interests I am not personally inclined to assist you in furthering your chemical education.

Maybe someone else will. Or maybe you will be happier at www.wetdreams.com?

joe69cool
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-11-2007 at 13:06

Let us not forget that it was tinkers that gave us the gift of flight. Maybe most people look at the rhodium files as a way to actually make drugs. I do not as I thought I have made clear. You neglect the fact that knowledge of those procedures can get you an intership at _ _ _ _ (guess who got one). In any case, I accept your challenge, and will be undertaking a project to make a useful medicines (I think I will begin with the total synthesis of atropine for which a Nobel Prize was won). There's no reason why I cannot excute it, other than the fact that many chemicals are needed. "If you aim for the stars, you might not get one but at least you wont get a hand full of mud." I think its a pity that more hobists dont try more difficult synthesises. IF they did, imagine what could be accomplished. And for the record, my interest in analogues of illicit drugs is that it gives me a framework which could allow me to study relationships between substitution patterns in new medicine analogs. If someone would have refered me to widely studied active medicines and they're analogues, I would have studied that instead. And finally All i was asking was how to build on what I already know. I've never made or tried to make or wanted to make any illicit substince, I'm simply looking for a suitably difficult project. As I can only buy glassware $50 at a time, it will be awhile before I can do anything, but if you're still around and I'm welcome, I'll show my syntheisis of atropine. And it is unfortuanate that there's no audience (who would appreciate) a total synthesis of lysergic acid because frankly, no one else has the skills and the balls to pull it off. (Proof of the former forthcoming, Photographic proof of the latter available on request :) )

[Edited on 16-11-2007 by joe69cool]

[Edited on 16-11-2007 by joe69cool]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2007 at 16:23

Yawn.

Look, fella, I did not rant at you nor did I ask you foir your life history or intentions.

All I asked you was what anti-virals you have in mind.

Instead you gave me a long datadump without answering the question.

And I POLITELY told you to seek your help elsewhere.

End of story. Go out and win the Nobel if you can. After all if Al Gore can win one, anyone can.

[Edited on 17-11-2007 by Sauron]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 18:09

How did you progress from questions of anti-virals to writing your autobiography? And I hate to sound like a pessimist but at "$50 at a time" it's going to take you A LONG TIME to be able to prepare new drug analogs/procedures and find out exactly what they are and what they do.

However, it never hurts to try. Or does it?

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize? What for? Inventing the internet?
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 19:11

They apparently gave Gore a Nobel for hugging trees and playing Chicken Little re: global warming.

At least he had to share the million with someone else.

And a million ain't what it used to be.

Go To Top