Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  27
Author: Subject: nitroglycerin
Vikascoder
National Hazard
****




Posts: 309
Registered: 28-1-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 03:41


I am storing 5 ml of nitro glycerin mixed with 1 gram of ammonium nitrate 3 grams of fuller earth lots of saw dust is this safe . It has been kept at 35 to 40'c from the last week . Is it safe
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hennig Brand
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1284
Registered: 7-6-2009
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 11:58


There is a lot of myth and legend surrounding nitroglycerin. There have been some terrible accidents during the manufacture and use of nitroglycerin, however, that being said nitroglycerin's sensitivity is most often hugely exaggerated. There are some circumstances where NG will be more sensitive, like at elevated temperatures or if the liquid has frozen NG in it or other gritty particles like sand. Some contaminants or decomposition products can apparently make NG more sensitive as well. Normally NG takes a fairly solid snap with a hammer to make it pop, which is much, much more insensitive than anything I was led to believe before I had any personal experience with it.

I am not suggesting that one should become careless or overconfident, but if the NG is absorbed in something it is very insensitive. Even if it was to go into rapid decomposition because of improper purification/acid neutralization, with the small quantity involved (5mL), any kind of explosive event would be very unlikely.

Why are you storing it at 35-40C? Sunlight is much worse than heat (unless excessive heat), but still, storage stability will be better at lower temperatures. Also, like I said above explosive sensitivity is higher at elevated temperatures.




"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 23:28


Here are some tips that i've found while making nitroglycerin. First off, yes you can use vegetable glycerin, it's the same thing as the high dollar glycerin. I've made several batches with 95% fuming nitric and also 70% nitric, they both work great, except you wont get as high as yield with the 70. As for the sulfuric, i've used both 98% from dudadiesel and rooto drain cleaner from ace hardware and they both work fine except the nitro tends to take on a more pale yellow color when the drain cleaner is used, but from my experience, it's not any more sensitive. Another thing, have a good idea of how to carry the synthesis out, don't get into a hurry,
I was nitrating 400g of glycerin in about 6L of acid, i'm fairly experienced in the synthesis but those big batches are a lot easier to run away than the little ones, needless to say i wasted over a pound of nitro and about 6L of acid, It didn't run away but the temp just started jumping up too fast, got in too much of a hurry, won't try that again!!

Okay, another point to make, do not go off volume when deciding how much acid to glycerin you will need when ramping up the quantity of the batch, always go by weight.

Don't crash the whole batch into water as it will get very hot and the nitro could become unstable, instead use a pipette to draw the nitro off the top of the acids and drop it into a beaker of ice water, just take your time.

Allright, this is something i had a problem with, the neutrilization. What i'd do is wash wash wash with bicarb and wash with water and let it sit overnight, yet when i removed the nitro from the water it would have a ph of 1. Well figured that out, wash once with water, next slowly drop it into a bicarb solution and swirl it around and let it sit for about an hour, do the bicarb thing twice, next do one water wash, then seperate the nitro and dissolve it completely into acetone, then crash into water and do 2 more water washes, now you have nitro with no acid left trapped in it and it also seems to be more stable with that tiny bit of acetone dissolved in it.

Lastly, dehydrating the nitro...I havent found it to be anymore unstable dehydrated than hydrated. Put your nitro in a small beaker or plastic cup, now find some type of jar or something that's air tight and cover the bottom of it with salt, just regular table salt, put quite a bit in there, now just set the beaker of nitro on top of it, seal the lid and let it set for about 24 hrs, now you have high quality anydrous nitroglycerin. The nitro should have a slight smell of acetone, this is good, as it should be a little more stable. Wack it with a hammer to test the stability. Now just store it at room temperature and you should be good, I've never stored nitro but for about a week but i wouldn't store it too long, i usually use it within a week. Just make sure it's neutral or close to it. :D
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 02:25


I don't know is it because of the quantities, why industrial nitro is supposed to be pale yellow with 10 washes and mine is just fine with like 2. I take the crude egdn/ng, dump in distilled water and swirl well, then again but with soda solution or ammonia. Then final 1-2 washes with distilled water (if it's egdn I'm not afraid to shake hard), leave in open container for a while and it becomes crystal clear, odorless for ng. Ksj_6808 how did you stirr and cool your huge batch?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2012 at 01:07


I used a huge flower vase, probably about 15L. And a 5 gallon pickle bucket with a shit load of ice and water. I put all the acid together in the vase and then set it in the pickle bucket, then put the lid on and put it in the deep freeze. Then i used a turkey baster to add the glycerol, about 10-20mL at a time. The vase full of acid looked like something you would see in a nightmare!!lol. But i wobbled the vase around to stir it. I may try it again in the future, but i think im gonna work up slowly toward it, right now im a champ at nitrating 70g but that's all my 1L beaker will hold. Truth is, it was a couple nights before the 4th of july and i was in a big hurry to get it done and it was 4am when i was almost done. Didn't take any longer really than a small 70g batch, but the temps definately a little more unpredictable though. All i can say is 85g of nitro makes one hell of a bang and has incredible power!!:D BTW i think i found a very easy shaped charge, take a coke can, cut it in half, fill it up with nitro, thats what i did in the image, im pretty sure it made a decent shaped charge!!

A.png - 899kBB.png - 970kBC.png - 1MB
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 08:46


From 1l batch you expect 50ml?? Man, I distill nitric from KNO3/H2SO4 and it's totally worth it. You get yield almost as you're spend acids. To "wobble the vase around to stir it" is totally unacceptable for that kind of operation, specially in these quantities. Third, that nifty iron piece is nothing to what you would expect from a nice shaped charge with blasting jelly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyM1Y0OjfzQ
btw ng is not suitable for use in liquid form, egdn is better.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Kalium
Harmless
*




Posts: 33
Registered: 21-6-2012
Location: Australia
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 01:34


Quote: Originally posted by ksj_6808  
Here are some tips that i've found while making nitroglycerin. First off, yes you can use vegetable glycerin, it's the same thing as the high dollar glycerin. I've made several batches with 95% fuming nitric and also 70% nitric, they both work great, except you wont get as high as yield with the 70. As for the sulfuric, i've used both 98% from dudadiesel and rooto drain cleaner from ace hardware and they both work fine except the nitro tends to take on a more pale yellow color when the drain cleaner is used, but from my experience, it's not any more sensitive. Another thing, have a good idea of how to carry the synthesis out, don't get into a hurry,
I was nitrating 400g of glycerin in about 6L of acid, i'm fairly experienced in the synthesis but those big batches are a lot easier to run away than the little ones, needless to say i wasted over a pound of nitro and about 6L of acid, It didn't run away but the temp just started jumping up too fast, got in too much of a hurry, won't try that again!!

Okay, another point to make, do not go off volume when deciding how much acid to glycerin you will need when ramping up the quantity of the batch, always go by weight.

Don't crash the whole batch into water as it will get very hot and the nitro could become unstable, instead use a pipette to draw the nitro off the top of the acids and drop it into a beaker of ice water, just take your time.

Allright, this is something i had a problem with, the neutrilization. What i'd do is wash wash wash with bicarb and wash with water and let it sit overnight, yet when i removed the nitro from the water it would have a ph of 1. Well figured that out, wash once with water, next slowly drop it into a bicarb solution and swirl it around and let it sit for about an hour, do the bicarb thing twice, next do one water wash, then seperate the nitro and dissolve it completely into acetone, then crash into water and do 2 more water washes, now you have nitro with no acid left trapped in it and it also seems to be more stable with that tiny bit of acetone dissolved in it.

Lastly, dehydrating the nitro...I havent found it to be anymore unstable dehydrated than hydrated. Put your nitro in a small beaker or plastic cup, now find some type of jar or something that's air tight and cover the bottom of it with salt, just regular table salt, put quite a bit in there, now just set the beaker of nitro on top of it, seal the lid and let it set for about 24 hrs, now you have high quality anydrous nitroglycerin. The nitro should have a slight smell of acetone, this is good, as it should be a little more stable. Wack it with a hammer to test the stability. Now just store it at room temperature and you should be good, I've never stored nitro but for about a week but i wouldn't store it too long, i usually use it within a week. Just make sure it's neutral or close to it. :D

That's a lot of NG! I'm guessing it will be used with diatomaceous earth to make traditional dynamite, right?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SherlockHolmes
Harmless
*




Posts: 44
Registered: 29-7-2012
Location: Bulgaria
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2012 at 09:13


Hi guys. Here's my way of getting nitroglycerin:
This is materials

[img]http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/836/5071836N.jpg[/img]

mix 220m 600m nitric acid and sulfuric acid at ice bath and begin to slowly add 100 ml glycerol



in the middle of the process



Finally pour in 3 liters of water and there it yields




[img]http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/889/5071889A.jpg[/img]

I tested the resulting nitroglycerin on 7 mm iron plate, here's the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5dcGkIwQKQ
Nitroglycerine has a low sensitivity to initiation of EGDN and very strong starter wants to detonate properly and I used an explosive-based pyroxylin as a booster :) Excuse me if I have misspellings or typos but English is not my native language. thank you.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 23:13


I've found nitro to be the best explosive for the home experementer simply because it is the easiest to make, the chemicals are easy to get and it is very brisient and powerful, and you can use it for so many things such as gels, dynamites, use it as a plastecizer and a lot of other things.



[Edited on 6-8-2012 by ksj_6808]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 23:26


Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
From 1l batch you expect 50ml?? Man, I distill nitric from KNO3/H2SO4 and it's totally worth it. You get yield almost as you're spend acids. To "wobble the vase around to stir it" is totally unacceptable for that kind of operation, specially in these quantities. Third, that nifty iron piece is nothing to what you would expect from a nice shaped charge with blasting jelly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyM1Y0OjfzQ
btw ng is not suitable for use in liquid form, egdn is better.



I watched your video, nice job!! Yeah i don't think you entirely understood what i was saying, first off may i correct the term "wobble" to "Swirl" and yes it's totally acceptable and cools the mixture off better than stirring it in my experience, it's just easier i've done it for about a year with beakers no problem at all. And shaped charge, i know i probably said that but it was 80g nitro in the bottom half of a coke can and the metal was laying on a shale road, it went through it so you cant guage by the picture how much it would have done to a thicker piece. Oh and using a fuse with a HE is "Unacceptable", get updated and use a wireless detonation system. And i said the yield would be a little over a lb on that big batch, where do you get 50mL and i don't go by volume either. You don't get as good of yield as using the 95% nitric because it's 70%, and if you know where to buy the 70 cheap, it's much easier and cheaper to make. Well anyways im not trying to start an argument just backing up what i said. Anyways congrats on the EDGN, i haven't made that one yet
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 23:31


Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
From 1l batch you expect 50ml?? Man, I distill nitric from KNO3/H2SO4 and it's totally worth it. You get yield almost as you're spend acids. To "wobble the vase around to stir it" is totally unacceptable for that kind of operation, specially in these quantities. Third, that nifty iron piece is nothing to what you would expect from a nice shaped charge with blasting jelly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyM1Y0OjfzQ
btw ng is not suitable for use in liquid form, egdn is better.


NG is not suitable in pure form in large quantities, however you can dissolve some acetone in it, about 5% by weight i suppose, all i know is the more acetone you add the harder it is to detonate, I can barely set the ng off with a big hammer with 1% dissolved in it so it's safe enough as long as you have acetone dissolved in it.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 07:53


So ng isn't good for small charges because of critical diameter and low order detonation possibility and not good for large charges because of sensitivity. No such worries with egdn. Let me tell you something more. I had a batch of 50ml with witch I did a test. I had like 7ml egdn left. It was just washed, I'm not sure if it was neutralised at all, just well washed with tap water. It showed no change for more then 6 months. It was crystal clear, sitting near a window with other glassware. I did ng, I washed with distilled water, neutralised with ammonia excess, washed again multiple times. It was clear like water, but after like a month it had a brown-green layer. So talking about stability in liquid form egdn rules. For dynamites and stuff ng is the way. I admit I use it for my etn/ng/nc composition. I washed my last ng with tap water. It's little less yellow then my fuming nitric acid :D Just threw in fridge and hope the crap doesn't decompose for the next few months.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 13:55


Ya EDGN im sure is alot better to use all around, and im sure it keeps alot better, ill probably try some here in a week or so, and yes ive noticed the same thing with ng, it tends to take on a yellowish color after a few days, the way i use it is ill usually make about 85g and it is very powerful every time and i dont store it for more than a week, havent really tried any bigger and did a 20g charge back in the day. Im assuming you get higher yields with edgn because of the 2 nitro groups. Anyways good luck!!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 19:44


NG better for all around purpose. EGDN best in liquid form. And yes, you get more product for your acid with egdn.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
killswitch
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 209
Registered: 8-7-2011
Location: is a relative concept
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 15:16


Quote: Originally posted by ksj_6808  
NG is not suitable in pure form in large quantities, however you can dissolve some acetone in it, about 5% by weight i suppose, all i know is the more acetone you add the harder it is to detonate, I can barely set the ng off with a big hammer with 1% dissolved in it so it's safe enough as long as you have acetone dissolved in it.


When I've finished neutralizing my batches, I dissolve it in nitromethane rather than acetone. The best I've tested is a mix of 1 mL NM per 8 mL NG. Add 1 mL of ethylene diamine per 10 mL of NG/NM mixture immediately prior to use for added kick.

I've often wondered if liquid bases like ethylene diamine could be used to quickly neutralize NG. But I've never had the balls to try it.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 19:49


How do you add kick by reducing the energy of a mixture? And at ratio near 1:1 ethylene diamine/nm.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
ksj_6808
Harmless
*




Posts: 20
Registered: 6-7-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 14:39


As far as i know to add a kick to it would be to add some aluminum powder, as far as a stablizing agent, i dont know if NM would work, i would guess that it dissolves nitro but dont know if it would stablize it, the NM is an explosive however very much of it would surely lower the vod, however if your talking 1%, it shouldnt do more than simply stablize it and the power reduction should be minute. If you were wanting to do a large charge, say several kilos, either make it into dynamite or use TNT instead.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2013 at 13:49


This article suggests that mixture of NG and cocaine gives more powerful effect then cocaine itself. What effect do you think NG will have with weed? May be ETN/cocaine or a bong with MeNO3 in the water?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-brown
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SherlockHolmes
Harmless
*




Posts: 44
Registered: 29-7-2012
Location: Bulgaria
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 09:30


Today I made a test with 140ml nitroglycerin on 30 mm hardened steel disc. I put 5 grams. pyroxylin booster because I'm not sure that will raise 7500 m / s in glass jar only with lead azide blasting cap. Synthesis made ​​with 600 ml. Sulfuric acid, 600 g. Ammonium nitrate and 150 ml glycerol. Lot I tried to do the video. Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwknfZCLE8



Sorry for my english. I am not from England. Thank you!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 12:10


The best pure NG test ever. That nitro looks brisant like EGDN. Nice yields also.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SherlockHolmes
Harmless
*




Posts: 44
Registered: 29-7-2012
Location: Bulgaria
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 13:49


Normal. Nitroglycerin is like egdn. egdn is a little more powerful than nitroglycerin but the difference is almost unnoticeable. This booster that I was able to lift 7800 m/s. Greater speed can be raised only with metal body and 80g of picric acid booster :)



Sorry for my english. I am not from England. Thank you!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Ral123
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 735
Registered: 31-12-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 14:02


I dream explosives weren't illegal, so I can make universal purpose 65g picric acid boosters in 28mm copper pipes with cap in the one end. It will be a classic, that may last long for my grand children.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Peroksit
Harmless
*




Posts: 49
Registered: 5-4-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 02:09


I' have a question of NG separete (I'm use teflon tap sparatory funnel)

separatory funnel tap is can be compressed of ng and may be exploding NG ? what are you recommend to separate of NG ?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SherlockHolmes
Harmless
*




Posts: 44
Registered: 29-7-2012
Location: Bulgaria
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 02:24


This is not ethyl perchlorate: D nitroglycerin will explode in a separatory funnel. One of the possible procedures for separating the yield of nitroglycerin with separatory funnel. If so easy detonate NG, now no one would risk it synthesizes.



Sorry for my english. I am not from England. Thank you!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Peroksit
Harmless
*




Posts: 49
Registered: 5-4-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 02:48


Quote: Originally posted by SherlockHolmes  
This is not ethyl perchlorate: D nitroglycerin will explode in a separatory funnel. One of the possible procedures for separating the yield of nitroglycerin with separatory funnel. If so easy detonate NG, now no one would risk it synthesizes.

I'm not fully understand :S separate with separatory funnel of NG do explode ? did not explode :D or possible risk is nitration of NG ?




[Edited on 22-3-2013 by gamez34]

[Edited on 22-3-2013 by gamez34]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  27

  Go To Top