Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Features wanted thread
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 06:15
Features wanted thread

I hope everyone could post their wanted feature(s) here, whether mentioned before or not, so they can be found quickly and implemented during SM refurbishment in the future.

My ideas so far:
1. Auto unban members after a given time elapsed so mods/admins don't need to remember to unban them manually
2. Divide the bans into more specific ones, eg ban on making new thread vs ban on replying to current threads
3. Change the textbox in "post new topic" to a wider one so more text can fit in a row
4. Allow to set default font & size
5. Posting option to choose only allow members to download attachments
6. Member score system: eg x points per post, y points per days onlined, z points per posts with pic(s)
7. Allow to save recipient name in u2u drafts

[Edited on 03/10/18 by fusso]

12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 10:39

6a. w points per attached article/paper/useful attachment

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 13:38

Okay, I was thinking of starting a thread like this anyway, so I'll go with this one. In response to your points:

1. With phpBB, there's an option to warn users. Warnings last a specific number of days and come with reduced privileges. They expire automatically.
    2. Most bans are to spambots, which I don't think anyone wants to unban. I think it would be good if moderators used bans very sparingly and instead used the warning system more, on users who were clearly real people that just violated some rule by accident.
    3. We don't necessarily want very long titles, since you should be able to make your titles concise. However, I do believe titles can be longer with the setup I've been working with.
    4. With the new phpBB setup, a bunch of different themes have been installed. We can add as many as we feel like, then you can choose one that meets your criteria for this. Or you can make a new theme, and we can make that an option.
    5. Why? What benefit does this add? How about just having restricted forums that attachments can be posted in?
    6. That just incentivizes people to game the system with low-quality content, so probably not.
    7. I think this is already possible in phpBB.

Okay, now for new features that I want to add! :D

Chemdoodle embedded WebGL canvases!

Automatically downloading linked images and storing them locally. This way, no more broken links to images in the future.

FTP server that members can use to upload larger files. Protocol will probably have to be SFTP, in case you have an older client that defaults to unencrypted FTP. Users would have to be added to the FTP usergroup manually by admins. It'd use cloud storage, so there would be no hard limit on disk space. There would probably be no hard limit, but it'd be really obvious from the control panel if someone was abusing their privilege, like posting gigabytes of .mp4 files that have nothing to do with chemistry.

Preserve sessions between the forums and the wiki. This will allow much easier wiki contributions, since there would be no need to log into the wiki separately.

I'm debating whether to allow embedded youtube videos. Chemistry youtube videos do seem to be popular though. I guess it couldn't hurt.

Also, a "Patent Pending" forum, where you have to sign a legally-binding NDA with your full real name on it, to be allowed in. You wouldn't have to disclose your full name to everyone, just to the admins, and you can always use a separate login for access to that forum. Reason being, discussing an idea with patent potential in a public forum, essentially makes that idea impossible to patent. But if the forum is private, and everyone has signed a legally-binding NDA, then we should be able to freely discuss ideas that could potentially be patented, and members here who have gone through that process in the past can provide advice. It'd probably have to cover North America, the EU, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand at least, just because those countries are pretty good about respecting each other's patents. Possibly others as well, but I haven't looked into it much.

[Edited on 10/3/18 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 14:42

• Most bans are to spambots, which I don't think anyone wants to unban. I think it would be good if moderators used bans very sparingly and instead used the warning system more, on users who were clearly real people that just violated some rule by accident.

This point is focusing on removing specific privileges of real ppl. You're right. But I do think the privileges removed should still be more specific.

• We don't necessarily want very long titles, since you should be able to make your titles concise. However, I do believe titles can be longer with the setup I've been working with.

Sorry I'm referring to the message box, not the subject box.

• Why? What benefit does this add? How about just having restricted forums that attachments can be posted in?

Actually I just see some other forums which does that, didn't think of any pros & cons. Yours may be an alternative option.

[Edited on 03/10/18 by fusso]

fusso
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2018 at 12:33

Notification system so I can know when someone replied to my thread/a thread I followed etc.

Go To Top