Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: organic solvents for inorganic chemistry?
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 12:47
organic solvents for inorganic chemistry?

I am starting with home experimenting soon. My focus is on the aquaous inorganic chemistry (e.g. coordiantion/ redox chemistry.)

Of course I'm planning to buy mineral acids, several salts etc.
But i now have spotted a seller who sells salts but also organic solvents like benzaldehyde, carbon tetrachloride (tetra) , Formamide, dichloromethane, chloroform, etc.
Now my question was, would any of these solvents be useful in a homelab wich has limited ventilation etc. for example CCl4 is toxic and might be cancer causing. The rate of evaporation would definatly decide whether i can even handle it here. Do these solvents have any use in inorganic chemistry, wich can be executed at home (i have no fumefood or large garden, so i can only do mL/mg experiments , because of gasses).

Joris
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 13:07

These organic solvents are not that interesting for inorganic chemistry experiments. Hardly any metal salt dissolves in those solvents. The only solvent, which is somewhat interesting in inorganic chemistry is DMSO. This dissolves quite a few metal salts and it allows a whole new chemistry to be performed and colors are very different, when compared to aqueous chemistry. DMSO is not very volatile and not really toxic. You only have to be careful with solutions of salts in DMSO. Although the DMSO itself is hardly toxic, it provides an excellent transport mechanism for metal ions through your skin into your body. Where aqueous solutions hardly go through the skin, solutions in DMSO quickly go through the skin and anything dissolved in the DMSO goes with it.

For the rest, especially if you are starting exploring inorganic chemistry, then first start with aqueous chemistry and get the main inorganic acids like HCl, H2SO4 and HNO3, a few simple organic acids like CH3COOH and citric acid, and some main bases like NaOH (or KOH), NH3 and Na2CO3.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 13:32

MeOH, EtOH, Et2O, acetone, etc. are useful to force salts out of solution, wash and dry them.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 14:05

DMF, and NMP are some other polar low volatility organics that might be usefull for inorganic chem. Butyl Diglyme has unusual solvent properties for some inorganics. It can be used to extract gold from aqueous solutions. Watch out for organic solvent solutions of Ni salt. some people can be VIOLENTLY allergic!
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 16:06

i was reading about displacing with methanol/ethanol etc. can some one explain that to me?

Chemkid

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 16:38

They dissolve in water, causing lower solubility of the salt in solution. Some salts are more strongly soluble than the solvent is miscible with water; these will instead cause a seperation of layers despite the similar polarity which prefers to mix the water and alcohol. For this reason, concentrated salt solutions are sometimes used to crudely dry less soluble organic products, but that doesn't matter much here. Many salts precipitate in an excess of alcohol or other polar solvent, making this convienient. Likewise, alcohol and ether can be used to wash the water and alcohol (respectively) off the precipitate, and ether's low boiling point evaporates quickly.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 16:55

There can be surprises with organic solvents and inorganic salts. Make a strong solution of cobalt chloride in a few ml of water, then slowly - a few drops at a time - add acetone.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 17:44

Certain lithium salts are very soluble in organic solvents like lithium perchlorate
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 17:59

For that matter, silver perchlorate is soluble in just about everything, although some solvent react with it - is it a solution if it's dispersed throughout the room?
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:40

Water rules - cheap, ubiquitous, stable, liquid at RT, non-toxic. And there's still many books to be filled about inorganic chemistry in aqueous solution.

I don't like working with DMSO, ethylene glycol and glycerol because they tend to be quite unstable. DMSO is easily reduced to DMS (ugh!) and the latter two split off water to give a nasty stinking organic brew (yuck!). If I have to avoid water, I try to use methanol.

Of course every serious inorganic lab should have ethanol, acetone and ether in order to wash the products or to do crystallisation tricks mentioned above.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 01:36

Yes, I'm getting ethanol and actone but no ether. I really don't like the stuff (peroxides , etc.).

Go To Top