Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Monomethylamine Nitrate ( MMAN )
shadeT
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 28-9-2003 at 02:42
Monomethylamine Nitrate ( MMAN )

Hy . i didn't find any information here on MMAN . i finaly made some hexamine with ammonium water and formaldehyde . the only procedure i found was on mr cool's site . here is it :

Full name: Monomethylamine Nitrate. It requires a large charge to set it off (2g of H.M.T.D. should be plenty in a detonator), and is very hygroscopic so it must be stored in airtight containers. The main attraction of this explosive is that any concentration of nitric acid can be used to make it.
VoD is 6100 m/s at 1.20 g/cm3. Relative briscancy = 0.55.

Step #1: The production of methylamine hydrochloride.

You will need:

14g of hexamethylenetetramine,
100mL of 15% hydrochloric acid,
100mL of acetone,
A filter funnel,
A filter paper,
Two 150mL beaker,
An alcohol or gas burner,
An evapourating dish,
A 500mL beaker,
A tripod,
Yes, and a glass rod.

1) Pour the hydrochloric acid into the 150mL beaker.
2) Add the hexamethylenetetramine. I was expecting something to happen when I did this - some bubbling or SOMETHING, but nothing happened except a slight temperature rise, so I'd say it'd be safe to add all the hexamethylenetetramine at once.
3) Stir it with the glass rod until all the hex. has dissolved.
4) Fill the 500mL beaker with water, put it on the tripod over the burner, and put the 150mL beaker into the hot water. Leave it there to evapourate off as much of the water as possible. Some NASTY fumes come off this. I think they're formaldehyde. They don't really smell, they just HURT. Carbon dioxide will also bubble off.
5) Quickly scrape the crystals out of the beaker, and put them into the other 150mL beaker.
6) Pour on the acetone, and crush up the crystals with the glass rod. Stir them around lots.
7) Filter out the crystals and put them onto the evapourating dish.
8) Put the evapourating dish over the 500mL beaker of boiling water, until the crystals are dry.
9) Scrape them into an AIRTIGHT container.

Step #2: The production of M.M.A.N.

You will need:

10g of methylamine hydrochloride,
24g of lead nitrate,
100mL of distilled water,
Two 150mL beakers,
A gas or alcohol burner,
A glass rod,
A filter funnel,
Two filter papers.

1) Pour the water into a beaker, and add the methylamine hydrochloride and the lead nitrate.
2) Stir them with the glass rod until they dissolve, leaving an opaque white precipitate of lead chloride.
3) Filter the solution into the other beaker. Throw away the solid.
4) Boil down the filtrate until crystals begin to appear.
5) Let the liquid cool and filter out these crystals, and save the filtrate in the other 150mL beaker.
6) Boil it down until crystals begin to appear, and cool it to 5*C or colder.
7) Filter out the crystals, and add them to the crystals filtered out before.
8) Put the crystals in an evapourating basin, and dry them over an oil bath at 100*C, or in a warm, very dry place.

my question is , how much kno3 or AN would i need instead of lead nitrate . i know i didn't realy need to make a whole topic just for one question , but we don't have no topic about this energetic material .did someone make this ?? how sensitive is MMAN realy? thanks for any info .
Nick F
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2003 at 04:17

I have a better procedure than that, involving AN, hexamine, formaldehyde (and formic acid too, if you like).
It seems to give a good yield, although the product is contaminated with AN. Variations of this procedure are available in several patents, the resulting MMAN/AN mixture being used in blasting explosives.
Check out the Hive/Rhodium's page too for MeNH3Cl synths, just change the acid to nitric...

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 28-9-2003 at 05:52

**how much kno3 or AN would i need instead of lead nitrate**

Actually Im not sure if you could use KNO3 or NH4NO3 in this reaction in place of Pb(NO3)2 because the driving force behind this reaction is the precipitation of somewhat insoluble lead chloride. If you use KNO3 or NH4NO3 it might just sit there and do nothing. You could use silver nitrate in its place in all likelyhood because of the formation of highly insoluble silver chloride. It's a classic example of Le Chatelier's principle.
DBSP
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2003 at 10:32

I wouldn't bother making MMAN, I've made it once using Mr Cools method substituting the lead nitrate with AN.

The explosive is quite good, BUT and there is a big but. You need to get it really dry and that isn't really easy. I washed mine in acetone and dried it in the oven but never got it dry, still have a few grams left of it. Think I made it about 1.5 years ago or something like that.
shadeT
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2003 at 10:47

i have some hexamine , and will probably use it to make some energetic material . but the problem is , i don't know which one . i don't like HMTD ... and i don't have that much to make RDX . if you know some procedures on energetic materials that involve hexamine please post . thanks for the info DBSP , how much AN did you use ?? how much would i need KNO3 ? thanx
DBSP
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2003 at 11:17

HMDN(hemxamethyleneteraminediniatrate) could perhaps be an option then. It's easy to make, and quite powerfull, but not to easy to initiate. You'd need a couple grams of HMTD, at least, most preferably a minor ammount of secondary as well.

There is a good synth on Mr Cools home page.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2003 at 02:58

Seems just like HMDN-an excelent way to waste hexamine(no offense or anything).HMTD and RDX are both respectivly superir.For HMDN and RDX I know RDX requires a higher concetration of nitric acid but the effrot of concentrating nitric acid is really worth the performence increase.

Anyways is it possible to do this with dimethylamine?
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2006 at 01:23

Im having a hard time balancing this reaction.

Can someone help me fill in the unknown?

H2O + CH3NH3 + HNO3 <==> CH3NH3ONO2 + H3O

Or

CH3NH3 + HNO3 <==> CH3NH3ONO2 + ??

N/A
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2006 at 02:00

Quote:
Originally posted by tom haggen
CH3NH3 + HNO3 <==> CH3NH3ONO2 + ??

Try using CH3NH2, not CH3NH3 :/