Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Meeting with congresswoman
contrived
Hazard to Self

Mood: skeptical

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 16:04
Meeting with congresswoman

I'm meeting with my congresswoman's aid to lobby against more DEA chemical listings and OTC bans. I'm going to explain why the war on drugs is bad for my business and for innovation in general. Please feel free to point out anything you feel I should mention while I'm there.
ctd
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 16:56

and how's your business related to this issue?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 17:27

And exactly what chemical and OTC bands are you lobbying against?

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2007 at 02:08

Very good:)

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 13-12-2007 at 03:49

If you have so little clout that you have been foisted off to talk to an aide rather than your own congresswoman, be aware that you will be meeting with a staffer whose rather menial position is to talk to constituents like you and keep a high speed link between one ear and the other.

Don't dignify this by calling it lobbying.

I mean, I wish you well, it's in a good cause, but it is futile on its face. On a par with a letter to the editors of your local daily, one that does not get printed.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 13-12-2007 at 05:45

a Noble sentiment, but far better to talk to the Organ Grinder than the Monkey :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
contrived
Hazard to Self

Mood: skeptical

[*] posted on 13-12-2007 at 23:30

I agree but she hangs in DC and we're in the PNW. What bans would I remove? All of them, of course! But all I can do is show them the newest list, the list from a 1950 Gilberts Masters set and go from there. Try to get her to slow DEA down. I hate having licenses. Our business includes some in house research on analytical methods for bio-syn applications. That's the non-paying part. For money we do habitat restoration design and characterization.

@Chemoleo- what do you mean? I looked at my stock shelves and compared it with the list. I could be carted away in chains just for what I have let alone trying to replace used up reagents. I can't even find washing soda in the market anymore. In US chemistry is illegal without a license and that's undemocratic and contrary to entrepneurism. It's also part of prohibition and that has never worked. It's high time for some individual responsibility and an end to this victim culture.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 00:00

@Sauron- neither of us are big D contributors and as he said she stays in DC. Why? I have no idea, she doesn't do a lot as I can see but she claims to support small business (don't they all). You live in a parlimentary monarchy. It's so much more democratic than what we have here. You could probably see the King if you really needed to. I'm sure if we'd given $1,000 at her last campaign we'd get to see her directly when she comes to town. I want the aide to convince her the whole thing has gone too far. What is taking place is a move to where it will take a state and federal license to practice chemistry. The complacent are making it happen. It was incremental at first, like gun control.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top