Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitro-dope?
Glaudge
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 13:48
nitro-dope?

this is a (most likely) stupid question that i just had an idea about, and i was searching and searching, but.......................... can dopamine be nitrated?

i found the patent for nitration of aromatic amines, but did not find anything that said if dopamine was or was not aromatic, so i was wondering if its possible?

(sell it as Nitro dope! if it is explosive, or mind altering(drug))
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 14:30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromaticity

Should be pretty easy to tell.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 18:38

yes, i knew it! it is possible! ya it looked like it was aromatic cause the ring but wasent sure
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-12-2007 at 20:01

would United States Patent 5922913 work for this?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-12-2007 at 00:57

Is there any rational reason on why you want to destroy an expensive chemical like dopamine?
Cathehols can not get nitrated directly as far as I know.
Besides, there already was some similarly stupid idea proposed time ago and there was no need to open another thread on this:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8441

Edit: Dopamine is not an aromaic amine (which are more properly called anilines). Dopamine is an aliphatic amine with catechole attached on the aliphatic chain.

[Edited on 16/12/2007 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2007 at 06:28

Just for the record, pyridine is an aromatic amine but not an aniline.
Anyway, it's difficult to nitrate molecules like dopamine- it might be possible but I wonder why anyone would wish to.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-12-2007 at 07:10

Given that pyridine is not even an amine it makes no sense claiming it as an example of non-anilinic aromatic amines. The nitrogen in pyridine is sp2 hybridized so there is no way to classify it as an amine. It would be similar as like calling acetonirile an amine. Pyridine is a nitrogenous base and reacts with acids and electrophiles in many respects similarly to amines but that is about all it has in common to them. It could be formally classified as an imine if it was not for the involvement of C-N bonds in aromatic system.
But nomenclature is not an issue here. What I'm more interested is in the cognitive path that makes someone ask questions about nitration of such expensive stuff. As if there were no cheap substrates to nitrate if one wanted an explosive substance. Is this some kewlish fooling around as the "nitro-dope" thread title seems to indicate?
As far as I know catechols can only be nitrated if O-protected followed by deprotection. Otherwise the product is the usuall oxidation black crap.
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-12-2007 at 08:34

ok.............i was just wondering........musing.....(it would be interesting to say u made nitro-dope)

Go To Top