Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wetdreams Members Prefer Idiocy?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 16:20
Wetdreams Members Prefer Idiocy?

I recently decided to check out the Wetdreams site and noticed something apalling but not surprising. The average poster there has the writing skills below the level of a mildly retarded person.

I decided to argue the case of maybe cleaning up the site by getting rid of some of the people whose posts virtually mean nothing because they can't write a comprehensible string of words. To my surprise, many of the members defended this type of writing.

In fact, the following type of post is considered acceptable and preferred according to most members.

"damn swivyl feels purty dumb now as he felt honestly that his not using punctuation or much grammar or run on sentences like these was not looked down upon here quite like it was in the freshman comp class he just barely pulled a D on this semester. unfortunately his teacher wasn't real looker though but some of the freshman girls were...he said he never even noticed the spell checker but that's not important as swivyl can out spell anyone...damn ya'll right i gots me no grammar but i did get D so my grant is all good though.."

What is wrong with this picture? This person is a freshman! Even if that's junior high... well, you get the point.

I doubt I will ever return to this site for it is filled with lunacy.

[Edited on 3-1-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Xenoid
International Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 16:43

Hmmm... "swivyl" isn't even defined in the Urban Dictionary yet!

And you wonder why I am worried about the direction the USA is heading!.... :(
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 16:51

Wait, he was talking about a grant. THIS MAN IS IN COLLEGE. I no longer wish to live ... :(

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
halogen
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 17:26

Who's swivyl?

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 17:32

Just some guy on Wetdreams. Who he is is hardly relevant. I was just using his post as an example of the average post one would encounter on Wetdreams.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 19:25

That's why WE own. :D

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DeAdFX
National Hazard

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 19:32

God damn fucking internet... It is going to be the down fall of the english language. Seriously I can't believe that kids have to be the forefront of technology. Why can't adults? I pretty certain some crazy 70 year old kook with dementia and other sorts of mental disorders could make a hell of a lot more sense than these jerk offs.

Anywho about that guy getting a grant I have seen/heard much worse. Back in high school my english teachers would complain about the kids using lol and other various instant messenger acronyms in their papers. After reading that quote that is the kind of shit you expect to see in an elemntary paper not some HS/college level student.

I guess using normal language is going to be considered "fag talk". Mike Judge damn it you were right...
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 20:16
SWIVY

I've been on wetdreams. Here's the translation:

Someone Who Isn't VYladio.

[Edited on 2008/1/3 by MadHatter]

Power comes from the barrel of a gun !
DerAlte
International Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 21:21

DeAdFX said:

Quote:
I pretty certain some crazy 70 year old kook with dementia and other sorts of mental disorders could make a hell of a lot more sense than these jerk offs.

Don't be too sure. Read some of my posts! I qualify...

Der Alte
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 17:38

Sciencemadness is not a place to rant about other boards, a policy that has largely been upheld with E&W and others. Vice versa I believe this policy is held at other boards too. So please take your concerns there, and not here.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top