HCl
DCM
Mercury Chloride
Sodium Nitrite
Thio urea
AlCl3

And from a less 'labby' related supplier;

PTC

I hate ordering from suppliers, it seems to take all the fun out of it. It's all about the total synthesis and inventiveness for me; turning everyday things into something amazing. I do LOVE the colors the guys interested in dyes come out with on here, they're beautiful.

[Edited on 1-5-2010 by peach]
peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2010 at 10:29

I'm also genuinely interested in the potential of lysergides to alleviate headaches. I get them on such a regular basis that I can predict the hours when they'll turn up. I've tried everything to get rid of them, normal pain killers and the special ibuprofen, codeine, paracetamol power trio, changing the lighting in my house to SAD bulbs, drinking more water, less water, cutting anything artificial out of my diet, cutting caffeine, sugar and carbohydrates out and all kinds of stuff, like changing my diet altogether or exercising until I've thrown up from exhaustion and overheating. Nothing competes with lysergides for getting rid of the annoying bastards.

[Edited on 1-5-2010 by peach]
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 02:42

My new bromine, litlle bit of sulfuric, AlCl3 and potasium bromide

[Edited on 9-5-2010 by Mildronate]

[Edited on 9-5-2010 by Mildronate]
majortom
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 07:57

Wow, thionyl chloride and sodium metal? Suspicious....

Either way very usefull chemicals for organic synth in general, its too bad they are so hard to get now.
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2010 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by Kaifas  
Sodium salts dissolves much better than potassium salts so it is reason to use both potassium and sodium. I use oxidizers to do some Copper perclorate (binds strongly to nitrogen bases) and copper(III) compounds and making different copper complexes . Copper(I)cyanade goes to Gillman reagents. Copper(II)chloride is starting material to do Glacer couplings. Copper powder goes to Ullman coupling reactions.

Sodium nitrate is exellent for mild nitration systems because of good solubility.

It is difficult to byu chemicals here too.

Wow, I guess I was taught wrong. I ALWAYS thought the potassium salts were more expensive, and more desirable and more expensive than the sodium salts. Plus in many instances, the potassium salts are not deliquescent (as the sodium salts are). WOW, guess I learned the wrong way? How could that be? Like saltpeter (KNO3) always has seemed by far more valuable than NaNO3 (Chile Saltpeter) to me. Please someone, I'm pretty sure I am correct here...can anyone jump to my defense?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-5-2010 at 10:56

It all depends on intended use. If you want a nitrate as an oxidizer in fireworks, then it is important to have a non-hygroscopic salt. Potassium nitrate is good for that. If you want some reaction with nitrate in aqueous solution at high concentration, then you want a highly soluble salt. For this purpose, sodium nitrate is more suitable.

The difference is much more pronounced with sodium perchlorate and potassium perchlorate. Sodium perchlorate is highly soluble, but also extremely hygroscopic (it even is deliquescent). Potassium perchlorate on the other hand is a perfectly dry non-hygroscopic solid, but it also is hardly soluble in cold water. So, making other perchlorate salts from potassium perchlorate hardly is possible.

In general one can state that potassium salts are somewhat more expensive (potassium is more valuable than sodium), but this only is true when the counterion is not very special and preparation of both the sodium and potassium salt has comparable complexity. For sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate this is the case. However, for potassium perchlorate and sodium perchlorate this is quite different. It is hard to obtain sodium perchlorate at high purity due to its high solubility and bad crystallizing properties, while it is very easy to purify potassium perchlorate. Hence, pure potassium perchlorate is less expensive than pure sodium perchlorate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2010 at 12:11

Not strictly an order but I did get our purchasing people to find a supplier
Nonanitro
m terphenyl.
An odd compound with a pretty structure- looks like three trinitrobenzenes stuck together
Didn't order it; the customer for the analysis changed their mind when they saw the lead-time to import it.

[Edited on 24-5-10 by unionised]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 25-5-2010 at 06:51

Hmmm the whole sodium/potassium thing is pretty interesting. I was helping out with some science demos at the University and all we could find were sodium salts. It also produces the ugly orange flames instead of lovely purple.

Speaking of which I made some KNO3 out of a cold pack and no-salt, thats sort of a acquisition. I already have lab grade and didn't want to waste it.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-5-2010 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Hmmm the whole sodium/potassium thing is pretty interesting.

Yes. Can anyone tell me why soap bars are made using NaOH whereas liquid handsoap is made using KOH?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 25-5-2010 at 07:33

NaOH makes solid soap and KOH makes a more liquid soap but why those bases react differently with the acids used in soap is another question. . .

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2010 at 12:01

OK, I realise that my post wasn't strictly an order, but WTF does liquid soap have to do with the topic?
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 25-5-2010 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
OK, I realise that my post wasn't strictly an order, but WTF does liquid soap have to do with the topic?

I don't like tangents either. My bad. :(

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Chainhit222
Hazard to Others

Mood: grignard failing to start

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 15:05

I love tangents and normal lines!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8913/glassorder.jpg
I used simplegpt,crowngpt,cashrocketgpt and some other gpt website to pay for it :P

and that's a four necked flask from expediglass.com, its hard to see one of the necks. It seems to be of a high quality.

[Edited on 27-5-2010 by Chainhit222]

The practice of storing bottles of milk or beer in laboratory refrigerators is to be strongly condemned encouraged
-Vogels Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry
alibabaregis
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-5-2010 at 14:27

Red Phosphorus 500g
Metal Lithium 10g
Metal Calcium 2g

[Edited on 30-5-2010 by alibabaregis]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2010 at 15:09

Where did you buy all that red P, Alibabaregis? You should be able to do a large number of interesting organic reactions with it.
alibabaregis
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-5-2010 at 15:20

In a chemical supply store. Approx. Eur 100,00. In my country red P sale is not forbidden, only controlled by Federal Police. They do not care for small quantities.
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 18:26

Threw in some potassium hydroxide (500grams)
some more 500ml 30% H2O2
Some Urea
and KNO3.

The lab I work from has about 4 storage cabinets filled with everything imaginable (except what I need...)

Why someone felt the need to order at least 10kg of NaOH is beyond me. (I work and play in a highschool setting (: )
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 3-6-2010 at 13:57

Quote: Originally posted by Mossydie  
I finally got round to ordering some distilled water. So much cheaper and easier than making it for myself.

No need to do either, you can get it at your local petrol station...

majortom
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by Globey  
Quote: Originally posted by Kaifas  
Sodium salts dissolves much better than potassium salts so it is reason to use both potassium and sodium. I use oxidizers to do some Copper perclorate (binds strongly to nitrogen bases) and copper(III) compounds and making different copper complexes . Copper(I)cyanade goes to Gillman reagents. Copper(II)chloride is starting material to do Glacer couplings. Copper powder goes to Ullman coupling reactions.

Sodium nitrate is exellent for mild nitration systems because of good solubility.

It is difficult to byu chemicals here too.

Wow, I guess I was taught wrong. I ALWAYS thought the potassium salts were more expensive, and more desirable and more expensive than the sodium salts. Plus in many instances, the potassium salts are not deliquescent (as the sodium salts are). WOW, guess I learned the wrong way? How could that be? Like saltpeter (KNO3) always has seemed by far more valuable than NaNO3 (Chile Saltpeter) to me. Please someone, I'm pretty sure I am correct here...can anyone jump to my defense?

Sorry, it is what you can get it in, if the industry uses K for some reason I use K becasue it is all I can get. With all this meth craziness going on I make my own iodine from cheap pottaium iodide off of ebay and some HCL, then you mix it with a bit of H2O2 and out pops your iodine in crystaline powder.

I buy calcium hypochlorite as it is cheaper than sodium hypochlorite as I can get it from pool suppliers and it has a higher hypochlorite to weight ratio.

It all depends but sometimes chemicals are produced in K salt form just because that is the way it has always been done in industry.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:12

My latest order was only one thing, but it is one very cool thing.
250gr of 5-aminotetrazole monohydrate.
And some toluene from the hardware store, but that is not an order.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 23:36

Nothing special.

Just some Barium Nitrate and Potassium Permanganate

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 8-6-2010 at 16:20

I found a 3kg container of NaOH at a hardware store. You should move to Canada :)

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 18:14

Ordered 500g of Sodium Acetate for only $4. Thats cheaper than making it from baking soda and vinegar!

mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 16-6-2010 at 17:02

My last order was:
benzene 500ml
DCM 500ml
KBr 500gr
DMF 250ml
phthalic anhydride 500gr
ammonium hydroxide 30%-500ml
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 16-6-2010 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by mnick12  
My last order was:
benzene 500ml
DCM 500ml
KBr 500gr
DMF 250ml
phthalic anhydride 500gr
ammonium hydroxide 30%-500ml

When you receive your phthalic anhydride please determine its melting point. I've received this from two different suppliers getting phthalic acid instead.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  60

Go To Top