Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 13:31

Iridium (just a spark plug)
Platinum (just a boring spark plug with pure platinum wire)

hibernating...
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 16:09

My recent purchases:

A lot of bottles, erlenmeyer's, beakers and stirring rods (around 50 items in total).
1kg of :
H2C2O4*2h2o.
NH4Cl.
K2CO3.
2* NaOH.
KOH.
1 liter of:
concentrated NH3(aq).
2*acetone.
Formic acid.
Acetic acid.
Hydrochloric acid.

All that cost around 150$.

50g of the following:
K3Fe(CN)6.
K4Fe(CN)6*3H2O.
KBr.
(NH4)6Mo7O24*4H2O.
KSCN.
CoCl2*6H2O.
KI.
I2.
methylene blue*3H2O (10g)
Phenolphthalein (30g).
Ferroin indicator (1g).

That cost about 50$.

Additional stuff:
200g Chromium.
200g nickel.
100g tungsten.
1 pound graphite powder.
200g SrCO3
200g Na3AlF6.
100g titanium powder.
1 pound aluminium powder.

That cost about 85$.

Hopefully more metals incoming soon, like bismuth, tin, cadmium, tantalum and zinc.
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 18:26

19/22 distillation set cheap from Craigslist:
125mL sep funnel
5 RBF's from 500mL to 50mL
Various adapters, still head, Claisen adapter, vacuum takeoff
1 Liebig and 1 West condenser

Many beakers of various sizes, 1L to 30mL
Filter flask w/buchner funnel
Many flasks from 25mL to 500mL, 2 really nice 125mL 24/40 erlenmeyers
100mL volumetric flask
4 graduated cylinders ranging from 5mL to 100mL

7x7" Fisher thermix magnetic stirring hotplate

(194$ for above)

Chemicals purchased very recently:
4 oz of:
Cobalt carbonate
Nickel sulfate
Vanadium pentoxide

8 oz of:
Manganese dioxide
Manganese carbonate
Potassium dichromate
Strontium carbonate

1lb of:
Barium carbonate
Sodium nitrate
Potassium carbonate

(Pottery supply, 38$ w/o shipping)

1 quart of MEK
4lb NaOH
2lb KOH
300mL conc. HNO3
(30$ shipped)

1L 95.6% pure ethanol from my parents :D

More to come with my first order from Elemental Scientific.

EDIT: The supplier ran out of potassium dichromate...

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by barley81]
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 02:55

194$ for that glassware + hotplate/stirrer is amazing!
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 05:10

Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D
barley81
Hazard to Others

sad.gif posted on 28-6-2011 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
194$ for that glassware + hotplate/stirrer is amazing!

Yeah, it was a steal! I got the glassware from Dr.Bob (Research Triangle Books). It was a great deal (most items were Pyrex/Kimax) and he threw in some extra stuff (ton of pipets, some flasks and beakers). Everything was underpriced.

The hotplate was bought on ebay as/is (an auction). The stirrer function was not working, but the motor just needed some loosening up. It works fine now. It can boil water, but I'm not sure about the exact temperature it reaches.

The 19/22 distillation set is very dirty and I don't think the guy who sold it knew how much it was worth. Many of the items were advertised incorrectly (he called the adapters "crazy shaped tubes" and the sep funnel a "funnel beaker" :D). I was really lucky to find it.

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D

That's great that you could find those locally! Was it a chain store?
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 06:06

I am in a few weeks to recieve the following:

-250mL thionyl chloride (FINALLY! :) )
-100mL pyridine
-25g arsenic trioxide
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 07:29

Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D[/rquote]
That's great that you could find those locally! Was it a chain store?

Yeah I was quite amazed to find these! Its at a local store called Botanix, they are a brand new store that just opened two weeks ago. I dont think they are a chain though - They call it "Super Oxygen".

@Jor: Nice order! Wish I could get some pyridine :(

superoxygen.jpg - 14kB

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by Mailinmypocket]
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 08:34

Recent purchases include 500 g of Manganese Carbonate, 500 g of Strontium Carbonate and 100 g of Cobalt Carbonate, from a Ottawa-based pottery store. I also replenished my stock of 32% HCl with two 1 liter bottles (I prefer single 1l bottles to the big, bulky 2.5l bottles even if they're less expensive per ml).

I also got myself a 1l bottle of the cheap red Sulphuric Acid drain opener that I use it only for cleaning glassware, since I have a glass 2.5l bottle of reagent-grade Sulphuric Acid that I jealously keep for my more interesting reactions.

My last "real chems" order from my local chem supplier was 500 g of KOH.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
Recent purchases include 500 g of Manganese Carbonate, 500 g of Strontium Carbonate and 100 g of Cobalt Carbonate, from a Ottawa-based pottery store

I think I know of the store you are talking about... Ive been wanting to go for so long but they are open at such inconveient hours for a person who works 9-5 Mon-Fri lol...

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by Mailinmypocket]
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 13:05

I think I know of the store you are talking about... Ive been wanting to go for so long but they are open at such inconveient hours for a person who works 9-5 Mon-Fri lol...

Yeah, I know, but living in Montreal, I played the "oh I live so far away and i'll be in town for such a short while" card and it worked. Sarah sent her husband on a Saturday afternoon to the store so she could acommodate me so I could pick-up my order in person and save on the Fedex shipping fees. She's a sweetheart.

They have a nice selection of interesting compounds, a useful place to know. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon at the LCBO to pick-up several flavors of ethanol and ended the day at the Manx pub with a couple of buddies to sample a few bitters.
:D :P
Robert

Robert

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 15:44

15 gallons of 35% hydrogen peroxide. Actually only about one liter will be used for my chemistry, the rest goes to agriculture or more properly animal husbandry purposes... but I was pleased to see that I could still get this OTC without any hassle.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 17:36

most recently:

16 oz CHCl3
16 oz H2SO4
4 oz hexamethylene tetramine
400 ml beaker (to replace one i broke a couple of weeks ago)
gas washing bottle
bell jar
vacuum plate and
2.5 cfm vacuum pump rated at 25 microns

GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 18:31

sulfuric acid. 950 ml.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 06:47

Everyone's getting those nasty quality pottery chemicals. Yuck!

I think there is hydrogen peroxide at the Hemp store in Toronto. For "hydroponics". Isn't Canada great?

Actually its not because of the Canada Post strike. I bought a ton of shit on ebay last week and no one has been able to send anything!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 07:12

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  

I have bought quite a few pottery chemicals. Yes, they come in plastic bags; but they are uncommonly inexpensive. I have not had any trouble with any of them that I'm aware of. I understand that they are likely not chemically pure but since many are used for making glazes of predictable color the impurities must at least be consistent.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 07:51

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  

I have bought quite a few pottery chemicals. Yes, they come in plastic bags; but they are uncommonly inexpensive. I have not had any trouble with any of them that I'm aware of. I understand that they are likely not chemically pure but since many are used for making glazes of predictable color the impurities must at least be consistent.

I was using the SrCO3 to make Sr(NO3)2. The solution was a cloudy suspension, some insoluble impurities and I even got a whiff of something sulfurous. I heard they are about 2% barium.

I also heard that pottery MnO2 is about half sand. So less like chemicals and more like raw materials. Of course that might be half the fun right there.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 08:47

I try to stay away from pottery grade chemicals, better spend a few extra bucks and get it from a chemical company with a reasonable (and known) purity.

And on another note, my recent purchase's:
50g Tin
17g molybdenum.
80g cadmium.
20g niobium.
11g tantalum.

all in coin/rode form, cost about 35$ including shipping.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 08:58

Do you have any uses for the cadmium or is it just an element sample? It seems to be looking at your other purchases. I still need to buy a Cd-sample, but I'm not gonna buy those 80g cylinders or even worse the cadmium powder offered on ebay. I need only a few grams.

I stay away from that element in experiments, from what I have read it is not really interesting chemistry wise (forms mostly white compounds, the related mercury compounds are almost always more interesting), and is very nasty: potent carcinogen, even small amounts, such as 10mg, can cause nasty (but non-fatal) toxicity. To make it worse, Cd halflife in body is about 25 years, much longer than mercury, so you can say that cadmium may be even more toxic and dangerous than mercury as a chronic poison. Organocadmium compounds are useful in organic chemistry, but hell that sounds even more nasty :D

[Edited on 29-6-2011 by Jor]
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 09:08

Yes I know these pottery-grade chems are less than pure, but detailed MSDS gave me a good idea of the quality. For example, the Cobalt Carbonate is fairly pure... the Strontium Carbonate has 2% barium and 1% calcium, but with a basic purification process, I got myself some fairly pure Strontium Chloride. As for the Manganese Carbonate, I have yet to experiment with it, but it also seems fairly pure, and sand would be probably one of the easiest thing to filter out of a compound...

So if the MSDS is available, I don't think pottery-grade chems should be ruled out completely, stuff like Iron Oxides and Copper Oxides for thermite experiments are pretty hard to find otherwise.

Robert

Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 11:26

Well, I bought it for 3 reasons.
Its will be a good elemental samples, and I'll probably do some chemistry with it (with utmost respect and precaution).
Well, and it was quite cheap =)
I can send you a few grams if you would like, just need to check the postal costs and etc.
Send me a U2U if you would like it.

[Edited on 29-6-2011 by Mixell]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 11:55

@Jor: I think that your figures on cadmium toxicity are overrated. There still is controversy about the carcinogenic properties of cadmium. Many studies about its carcinogenity are studies where exposure to the metal was combined with exposure to other compounds (e.g. arsenic or organic partially pyrolysed compounds, such as in tobacco smoking). Of course, it is a toxic metal and it should be treated with respect, but if it really were so toxic as many people want us to believe then we would be dead, all of us. In the recent past it was used in virtually every brightly colored object, such as children's toys, crates for storing bottles of beer (Heineken and Grolsch), hard-plastic bags with colored logo's and so on. It is good that the practice of using cadmium-compounds for coloring purposes is forbidden now, but the fact that it was used for this purpose and that most of the people from that era still are alive in good health makes me believe that things are not as nasty as people want us to believe nowadays.

Also read this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 20:48

Cadmium is still surprisingly ubiquitous as a metal coating. Once you start looking for it, you find it everywhere.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2011 at 02:23

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
@Jor: I think that your figures on cadmium toxicity are overrated. There still is controversy about the carcinogenic properties of cadmium. Many studies about its carcinogenity are studies where exposure to the metal was combined with exposure to other compounds (e.g. arsenic or organic partially pyrolysed compounds, such as in tobacco smoking). Of course, it is a toxic metal and it should be treated with respect, but if it really were so toxic as many people want us to believe then we would be dead, all of us. In the recent past it was used in virtually every brightly colored object, such as children's toys, crates for storing bottles of beer (Heineken and Grolsch), hard-plastic bags with colored logo's and so on. It is good that the practice of using cadmium-compounds for coloring purposes is forbidden now, but the fact that it was used for this purpose and that most of the people from that era still are alive in good health makes me believe that things are not as nasty as people want us to believe nowadays.

Also read this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium

Ok I might be overrating it a bit, but it is on the list of proven human carcinogens, so I would guess this would prove enough (I assume the people who make the list also look at other exposures in the same plant), but you might be right.
Further more, don't forget that cadmium pigment is not that toxic at all unless you ingest it. It is highly insoluble. Further more it entrapped in a solid plastic matrix. Funny you say it, I have analysed the Cd content in beer crates (using boiling HNO3/HClO4 to digest the plastic, buffering the solution and extracting the Cd as an organic complex in CCl4 wich is then analysed using UV-Vis spectroscopy).
The real danger are soluble salts or the biggest danger for workers is ofcourse the Cd/CdO fumes wich evolve when smelting Cd-alloys or Cd-plated (wich is very common, anticorrision) tools. I will look in the toxicological studies of cadmium later on, I dont have time at the moment.

Still I am into experimenting with the element as I hardly see it forming any interesting or colored compounds.
Xenomorph
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 14:29

Hydroxylamine Hydrochloride, 75g - as soon I get glyoxal there will be some interesting uses
Guanidine hydrochloride 200g - easy way (a.k.a. cheating) to tetrazole chemistry.
tungsten rods - already made some sodium tungtate for exploring tungsten chemistry
Phthalic anhydrite 50g - I felt sorry for glowes
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  60

Go To Top