Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 11:05

The oxone arrived. That is super fast. I ordered Sunday evening, and this afternoon the parcel arrived. International shipping!

The oxone is pure. The bottle states ingredient: Pentapotassium bis(peroxymonosulphate) bis(sulphate) at a concentration of 1 gram/gram. It is a pure white free flowing powder.
The activator is less useful. It is a perfumed fairly viscous blend of amine-based polymers with a light blue color and fairly high alkalinity. The light blue color almost certainly is an additive to give it an extra fresh and oxygen-alike look and it also is a color which people expect in swimming pools. The fairly high alkalinity makes the peroxomonosulfate less stable and more reactive (max. reactivity is at pH around 9).

I tried a little experiment, mixing table salt with oxone and adding a few drops of water. This leads to heating up of the mix and production of chlorine. There are not many oxidizers which give chlorine directly with table salt when made humid. This is quite spectacular. Oxone is very reactive, much more so than potassium peroxodisulfate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 11:11

I just got some salicaldehyde and o-anisaldehyde, both so that my students can oxidize them to the acids (and possibly to a condensation rxn with the latter), and also so that I can try making salen-type complexes.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
weilawei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 13:04

From the Dept. of Boring But Necessary Chemicals, a couple pounds of calcium chloride.
warteo
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 00:17

Kind of excited about this for use as catalyst, 500g of p-Toluenesulphonic acid.

25ibud3.jpg - 219kB
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 04:00

Found some calcium carbide acetylene lantern fuel. 20 bucks for 3lbs
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 14:02

1 x 5L Methanol, techn. - min 99% €16.60 (€16.60)
1 x 1L Hydrochloric acid, 34-35%, pure €7.24 (€7.24)
1 x 5L Nitric acid, 58-59%, purified €19.50 (€19.50)
1 x 1L 50% Hydrogen peroxide solution, pure €19.46 (€19.46)
1 x 5L Ethanol 93%, denatured €17.96 (€17.96)
1 x 3L Formic Acid solution, min 85% €16.92 (€16.92)
1 x 1kg Oxalic Acid dihydrate, min 99,5% €9.01 (€9.01)
1 x 500ml Chloroform, 99,9%, stabilized with amylene €12.91 (€12.91)
1 x 5L Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane), 99-100% €24.80 (€24.80)
1 x Sodium Metal, min 99,8%, -, 1kg Sodium Metal in mineral oil, min 99,8%, -, CAS# 7440-23-5 €33.74 (€33.74)

Total: €178.14

found out about some company (http://www.limac.lv) placed the order, lets see if they are really going to sell this stuff to a private person.

Also hope that the package don't have cops attached to it. :D (although I have no drugs or explosives on me, so what do I care..)

WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 14:08

Calcium chloride
Activated charcoal
Potassium permanganate
L tyrosine

Hyperbole be thy name
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 15:56

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  
1 x 5L Methanol, techn. - min 99% €16.60 (€16.60)
1 x 1L Hydrochloric acid, 34-35%, pure €7.24 (€7.24)
1 x 5L Nitric acid, 58-59%, purified €19.50 (€19.50)
1 x 1L 50% Hydrogen peroxide solution, pure €19.46 (€19.46)
1 x 5L Ethanol 93%, denatured €17.96 (€17.96)
1 x 3L Formic Acid solution, min 85% €16.92 (€16.92)
1 x 1kg Oxalic Acid dihydrate, min 99,5% €9.01 (€9.01)
1 x 500ml Chloroform, 99,9%, stabilized with amylene €12.91 (€12.91)
1 x 5L Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane), 99-100% €24.80 (€24.80)
1 x Sodium Metal, min 99,8%, -, 1kg Sodium Metal in mineral oil, min 99,8%, -, CAS# 7440-23-5 €33.74 (€33.74)

Total: €178.14

found out about some company (http://www.limac.lv) placed the order, lets see if they are really going to sell this stuff to a private person.

Also hope that the package don't have cops attached to it. :D (although I have no drugs or explosives on me, so what do I care..)
their catalog is very interesting :D
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 11:40

I personally would have left out the nitric acid and hydrogen peroxide. In the EU they really are forbidden and an attempt to buy these may lead to a lot of trouble, for you, but also for the seller if he really ships it to you.
If you want nitric acid, then I would invest in buying a few liters of conc. H2SO4 and a few kg of KNO3 (or NaNO3) and a decent small distillation setup. Then you can make HNO3 in small quantities, just what you need for a few experiments and you do not have to keep multiple liters of the acid around. That is my strategy. I make 50 ml of conc. HNO3 and that's what I keep around and if it is used up I make new acid. With H2O2 I can go to 20% or so, made from 12% by freezing. Good enough for nearly anything I want to do with H2O2. Again, no need to store forbidden high concentrations of H2O2.

This limac supplier looks interesting. He has an interesting range of chemicals for decent prices, but I wonder whether he really sells all of these to private persons.

TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I personally would have left out the nitric acid and hydrogen peroxide. In the EU they really are forbidden and an attempt to buy these may lead to a lot of trouble, for you, but also for the seller if he really ships it to you.
If you want nitric acid, then I would invest in buying a few liters of conc. H2SO4 and a few kg of KNO3 (or NaNO3) and a decent small distillation setup. Then you can make HNO3 in small quantities, just what you need for a few experiments and you do not have to keep multiple liters of the acid around. That is my strategy. I make 50 ml of conc. HNO3 and that's what I keep around and if it is used up I make new acid. With H2O2 I can go to 20% or so, made from 12% by freezing. Good enough for nearly anything I want to do with H2O2. Again, no need to store forbidden high concentrations of H2O2.

This limac supplier looks interesting. He has an interesting range of chemicals for decent prices, but I wonder whether he really sells all of these to private persons.

I contacted them, they sell to hobbyists, but not everything, and they told I should make an order, and that way I will see what can I get.

I live 40 min drive from them, so I will go there myself and collect the stuff.

Thats why I added peroxide and nitric, just had to try! :D

Tomorrow they should give an answer, I will update then!

EDIT:

They refused to sell:

Chloroform,
Nitric acid >3%,
Hydrogen peroxide >12%

I can still get 10%..

[Edited on 23-4-2018 by TheMrbunGee]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 14:59

Okay, I happened to stumble on some deals too good to pass up, so I may have to try and hawk these reagents to you guys. The trouble was I often had to buy them in large amounts. So anyway, my last purchase was:

100g of sodium metaperiodate
500g of phosphorous acid
1000g n-methylformamide
1000g anhydrous AlCl3
2500g dibromomethane

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 16:09

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Okay, I happened to stumble on some deals too good to pass up, so I may have to try and hawk these reagents to you guys. The trouble was I often had to buy them in large amounts. So anyway, my last purchase was:

500g of phosphorous acid
1000g n-methylformamide
1000g anhydrous AlCl3
2500g dibromomethane

Where did you find that?

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 17:06

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

500g of phosphorous acid
1000g n-methylformamide
1000g anhydrous AlCl3
2500g dibromomethane

Where did you find that?

A few different places. All in the US too. I believe the first three on the list, I bought the last of their inventory though. They only had the larger sizes left. I don't even have a lab set up or anything, but seeing only one left in inventory, I had to make a move.

Message me if you're interested in any of that stuff, since the quantities I had to order it in were far beyond what I'd ever use.

Incidentally, I've noticed that there's been a lot of listings for phosphite salts on eBay lately, but I'm not really interested.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 22:51

@Melgar: Interesting buy: 2500g of CH2Br2. That's an insane amount. Must have been very expensive. What kind of reactions do you have in mind for CH2Br2?

I agree about the phosphites. A few years ago I purchased a few 100's of grams of Na2HPO3 and H3PO3, but these chemicals are very tame. They are very slow reductors, even with acidified dichromate you only get a very slow reaction. The number of experiments I did with these chemicals is very small. I expected more interesting chemistry.

@TheMrbunGee: Good to see that Limac does not sell conc. HNO3 and H2O2 to unlicensed people. That means that this seller takes laws seriously and that gives him a better chance to survive for a longer time and to be a nice source of chemicals. He has quite a lot of interesting stuff and I might consider ordering something from him as well.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 24-4-2018 at 06:26

The Ch2Br2 cost less than $100. It was some sort of surplus deal. I only wanted a few hundred mL, but that was the size they had available. I've paid more for methylene chloride.

Other than the AlCl3, I mainly bought these because they're things I might use, and they were relatively cheap, even though the total order cost was higher than I'd want to pay. I'll probably have to try and recoup some of that expense by selling smaller amounts here and on eBay.

My thought was that oxidizable phosphorus compounds tend to react very strongly to halogens, but much less strongly to everything else. I figured it might come in useful for scavenging, say, evolved bromine in reactions where other reducing agents would interfere too much to be used.

Also, the salt that's been showing up on eBay is actually sodium hypophosphite, which until now I didn't realize was stable.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-4-2018 at 12:17

Hypophosphite is quite a different beast, it is much more interesting than phosphite. It is much more interesting than phosphite. The hypophosphite can be used to make really interesting compounds, such as copper(I) hydride, CuH, and it allows one to plate all kinds of smooth objects (glass, but also plastic) with a thin and shiny metal layer, such as nickel. Hypophosphite also is a very nice and interesting reductor. E.g. mixing with KClO3 gives a very energetic mix. It also reacts when heated. It decomposes, giving suboxides of phosphorus, which are spontaneously combustible. A nice demo is sprinkling a little sodium hypophosphite a a hot metal plate.

if you live in the US, however, forget about hypophosphites and hypophosphorous acid. As far as I know, they are forbidden, as drugs precursors. Where I live, sodium hypophosphite is sold by the kilo for EUR 20 per kilo or so, no questions asked, used for hobby metal plating.

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 17:14

About a pound of paradichlorobenzene as "para" moth balls; looking forward to do some of the experiments here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14000&...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14000&...

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 00:41

Handful of recent purchases, not all received yet:

25kg each of sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide (cost £40 and £55 respectively).
12 litres of One Shot drain opener (91% sulphuric acid, £60)
1g 5% Pd/C
500ml butan-1-ol
500ml propan-1-ol
100ml 2-methyl-propan-1-ol (isobutanol)
200g strontium carbonate
250g chloral hydrate
100g iodine prills
100ml di-n-butylamine
100g nicotinic acid (niacin)
50g napthalene (mothballs)

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 00:56

I had a nice purchase: a little more than 70 grams of a chemical, sold as Ru(OH)3 to me, for a little over 100 euros. Normally, Ru-salts are MUCH more expensive.

I do not believe it is Ru(OH)3, but most likely it is a form of hydrous RuO2, maybe something like RuO2.H2O or RuO(OH)2.

It is a free flowing black powder, which quite easily dissolves in strong bleach, giving a dark olive green solution of perruthenate (RuO4(-)), which quickly decomposes, giving dark red ruthenate (RuO4(2-)). The bleach also decomposes, giving oxygen and chloride. On longer standing the ruthenate also decomposes, giving a black deposit on the glass, probably hydrous RuO2 again. When fresh bleach is added, then the liquid becomes dark olive green again.

The stuff does not dissolve appreciably in conc. HCl. After days of standing, the liquid becomes somewhat brown/red, but nearly all of it still sits at the bottom under the HCl.

Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 01:38

Woelen, are you interested in parting with any of that ruthenium? I would be happy to give some of it a home :D
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 05:59

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Handful of recent purchases, not all received yet:

25kg each of sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide (cost £40 and £55 respectively).
12 litres of One Shot drain opener (91% sulphuric acid, £60)
1g 5% Pd/C
500ml butan-1-ol
500ml propan-1-ol
100ml 2-methyl-propan-1-ol (isobutanol)
200g strontium carbonate
250g chloral hydrate
100g iodine prills
100ml di-n-butylamine
100g nicotinic acid (niacin)
50g napthalene (mothballs)

Its strange that its legal to purchase such a large amount of choral hydrate

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

Its strange that its legal to purchase such a large amount of choral hydrate

It’s not a regulated substance in the UK.

Funnily enough though the drain cleaner will be very soon though - hence my stocking up.

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 08:12

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

if you live in the US, however, forget about hypophosphites and hypophosphorous acid. As far as I know, they are forbidden, as drugs precursors.

It is both legal and available from US manufacturers.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 00:54

Quote: Originally posted by Cryolite.  
Woelen, are you interested in parting with any of that ruthenium? I would be happy to give some of it a home :D
See U2U. If you act quickly you may get some of this too.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 02:59

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
It is both legal and available from US manufacturers.

Or hypophosphorus acid and its salts are list 1 with no threshold. My last order was a couple years ago I think, a gallon of DCM.

[Edited on 31-5-2018 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  60

Go To Top