Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  49    51    53  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 13:38

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  
I got all except DCM and AA at the shop linked below.
DCM and AA was on ebay.
The guy selling the DCM & AA is selling a pail with 1000L Acetic Anhydride, i thought i did see wrong but no, he is.
I actually have no use for the AA but when the opportunity to buy some came i though why not, i can do something fun with it.
I checked now, he doesnt have any for sale anymore, i guess i was lucky.

https://onyxmet.com/index.php?route=common/home

Aw, I'd also really have loved to get some AA for future use. I'm curious, how much did it cost?

I know Onyxmet, but I didn't know they sold some of the compounds you listed. IMO they really didn't categorize the compounds well, unless I missed something.
How much did the Onyxmet order cost?

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by Draeger]

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 20:51

100 grams potassium dichromate, for making aldehydes and carboxylic acids from alcohols to find out what they smell like.

still waiting for these items (slow shipping during covid):
500 mL 1-propanol
500 mL 1-butanol
500 ml butyraldehyde
500 mL 1-pentanol

[Edited on 7-11-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 23:38

The 1000ml Acetic anhydride was 52 Euro plus shipping total 80 Euros.
The Onyxmet order (actually it was 2 orders a few days apart) was 33.75 + 165.5 = 199,25 Euro for the 12 different chems.
The most expensive item fron Onyxmet was the NaBH4 100g that was 45 Euro.
But 45 Euros for 100g Sodium borohydride isnt terrible high compared what others charge for it.
Here are the Onyxmet order with cost in Euros.

Product Quantity Price
Phosphorus pentoxide 100g 30.00€
Copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate 500g 7.50€
Sodium nitrite 100g 10.00€
Sodium thiocyanate 100g 9.50€
Sodium pyruvate 10g 9.75€
Aluminium chloride (anhydrous) 200g 25.00€
Urea / Carbamide 99,7% 1000g 6.25€
Sodium borohydride 100g 45.00€
Sodium 99,8% 100g 22.50€
Disodium phosphate 500g 12.50€
Strontium titanate 20g 6.25€
Barium titanate 20g 15.00€
sciece nerd
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 05:47

What are the two titanates used for?
Something pyrotechnics related? (Because you bought the Ba and Sr salts)

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by sciece nerd]
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 06:28

Nothing that fun im afraid, im going to experiment with some homemade capacitors.
The barium & strontium titanates have very high dielectric constants, just a fun experiment if i can make some usable capacitors.
Fireworks would have been fun but i have very limited knowledge in that area.
I blew a big hole in our garage door when i was 15, since then i havent experimented with explosives and fireworks.

I have thought about making some candy rocketmotors though.
I have some KNO3 and sugar we have in the kitchen.
I have seen a video where they melt the 2 together and pour into cardboard tubes.
Then just drill out the core and you have a DIY rocketmotor.
Some safety precautions must be taken, i dont want blow up another garage door.

[Edited on 2020-7-11 by Mateo_swe]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 06:53

Some new interesting chemicals for me :)

100g K2Ni(CN)4.H2O, potassium tetracyanonickelate(II) monohydrate
100g KSbO3, potassium metaantimonate(V)
100g Na2S.9H2O, reagent grade (not the usual yellow flakes, but pure colorless crystals)

Most interesting is the cyanonickelate. It can be reduced and it can be oxidized, making different cyano-complexes of nickel in very unusual oxidation states 0, +1, and +3, without the need to handle free cyanide. In this complex, just as in the ferrocyanides, the cyanide is quite strongly bound to the nickel and hence it is much safer to work with this, than with free cyanide.

[Edited on 17-7-20 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
BrainAmoeba
Harmless

Mood: Poisoned

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 12:35

Some common chemicals in small amounts...

Sodium Azide - 10g
Sulfuric Acid 98% - 100ml
Nitric Acid 60% - 250ml
Potassium Permanganate - 50g
Nonexistent
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  

I blew a big hole in our garage door when i was 15, since then i havent experimented with explosives and fireworks.

I have thought about making some candy rocketmotors though.
I have some KNO3 and sugar we have in the kitchen.
I have seen a video where they melt the 2 together and pour into cardboard tubes.
Then just drill out the core and you have a DIY rocketmotor.
Some safety precautions must be taken, i dont want blow up another garage door.

[Edited on 2020-7-11 by Mateo_swe]

Ahh, good old rocket candy. I myself played with it far too often when younger and because of how relatively safe it is (one friend got burnt with it being stupid) I admit, led me to be far too lax later in life, and I mean, wayyyy too relaxed. Luckily no bad burns or lost fingers, but really shockingly so, but hey, if you want some fun and not much danger, it is your friend, just don't let it fool you for other things that can go bang.

I've been looking for a new buy myself but not sure what lately. In Australias worst chemical state I'm limited for both glassware and chems, but really need something to garner my attention other than beer. Reccomendations are welcome.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 13:16

Quote: Originally posted by BrainAmoeba  
Some common chemicals in small amounts...

Sodium Azide - 10g
Sulfuric Acid 98% - 100ml
Nitric Acid 60% - 250ml
Potassium Permanganate - 50g

Do you mind me asking where you source your sodium azide?
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2020 at 19:21

Hoping to order 250 grams (maybe lower to 50 grams if i freak out about overspending, but it's a useful chemical to invest in) of oxalyl chloride, and 500 mL DMF, for making acid chlorides from carboxylic acids. Pyridine as the organic base required in reaction of acid chlorides with tertiary alcohols to form esters.

[Edited on 7-20-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 19-7-2020 at 22:22

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
Hoping to order 250 grams (maybe lower to 50 grams if i freak out about overspending, but it's a useful chemical to invest in) of oxalyl chloride, and 500 mL DMF, for making acid chlorides from carboxylic acids. Pyridine as the organic base required in reaction of acid chlorides with tertiary alcohols to form esters.

get some triethylamine and use DMAP as the nucleophilic catalyst
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2020 at 14:41

500 mL dimethylformamide
50 grams oxalyl chloride
500 mL N,N-dimethylaniline

for making acid chlorides from carboxylic acids, then reacting them with tertiary alcohols.

Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2020 at 08:00

Where did you find the 500mL N,N-dimethylaniline and was it expensive?
That is not so commonly found, except from the big suppliers not available to most hobby experimenters.
fdnjj6
Banned by request

Mood: Pissed

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 11:59

I mainly just had a HUGE upgrade to my lab equipment. Proper magnetic stirrer hot plate, 3 necked RBF, pH paper (fucking finally! I don't know why buying it took me so long), glass for my digital thermometer I built, and some glass stoppers. I still need to buy a fan to vent fumes and also get some more storage bottles for the chemicals I make.

As far as chemicals goes,
What I'll be ordering in the future:
Potassium hydrogen phthalate
Maybe some oxalic acid
Concentrated solution of sodium hypochlorite

The order I put in a few days ago was the only chemical I didn't buy OTC and that was just because I didn't need a giant jug of it from my hardware store
1/4 pound of potassium permanganate

The chemicals I need I usually source from stuff I can buy at my hardware stores. The multi step synthesis I am planning to do is luckily going to be able to be sourced 100% from easy to get chemicals. The KMnO4 I just want a smaller quantity of.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 21:21

Thank you wish.com.... bunch of complaining not needed here, save you the trouble..
100g Ga metal, months late and beat till breached it's bottle. Someone must have crunched it so hard the frozen portion beat through the inner bottle. It was labeled "iron sheet"

In trying to transfer it to other containers, it occurred to me, the solid bit is pretty darn hard. It's melting out of the crippled bottle now. Force didn't adjust the shape at all. It's warm out still, almost would have expected a chunky aggregate of crystals, but no.

Everything seems to have been sealed in the ziplock bag, and most should be recoverable, though inconvenient.

IMG_20200801_175815780.jpg - 2.6MB IMG_20200801_180213589.jpg - 2.5MB IMG_20200801_180219140.jpg - 2.4MB IMG_20200801_214607844.jpg - 2.8MB

It does get granular in a puddle kinda like weird aggregate, and when dropped, show faceted crystals beneath the liquid film.

15963454931801690161962458839714.jpg - 2.4MB

It was 26$ with 12$ additional shipping, ordered on May 15, and came like above. I wasn't really pleased. I've already some GaInSn from a computer cooling system bought years and years ago, but no straight Ga sample. It's messy, my hands were grey a pile of times trying to wrangle the stuff for measurement.

[Edited on 2-8-2020 by violet sin]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 21:41

Gallium is surprisingly brittle in solid state. Smash it and bits go everywhere.
As a liquid it wets nearly everything and is hard to get off cleanly.
I dislike working with it. It might be different if I had plenty to spare and was not concerned about mechanical losses.
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 07:20

jsum, while not totally ethical I have been able to get total refunds from wish with no need to send the product back, simply because it's too expensive for them to pay for the return shipping. and on a platform like wish I personally would've expected more for that much money.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 10:24

Tribasic calcium phosphate. I am going to try to reduce it with aluminum.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 15:29

Does anyone know where I can get vanillin for cheap? I thought it would be relatively cheap (under $30 a kg) based on posts I've read here. I'm seeing $120 + S&H on chemsavers, possibly $56 + S&H on Amazon (not sure if it's pure vanillin or food grade crap that's 90% sugar), and not much of anything on eBay. I live in the USA. I want to buy 500 g but I'll go for a kg if I have to.

edit: Sigma sells it for $66 per kg, not that they would sell to me. It is cheap even from an expensive supplier like Sigma, I just can't seem to find a place that will sell to private individuals...

[Edited on 8-5-2020 by monolithic]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 18:37

Yeah, it's pretty easy to find, or at least it was... I don't see why anyone would refuse to sell it to private individuals... you could theoretically be doing something nefarious with it, but that's uncommon, and if you can do nefarious things with vanillin, taking the vanillin away won't stop you from doing nefarious things. I sent you a PM.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 18:54

Gallium does expand when it freezes, maybe it cracked it the plastic?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 23:33

@ Tsjerk
It's quite a flexible container. I'd guess LDPE, strikingly similar to the plastic wash bottles. Mine(wash bottle) is marked LDPE but the gallium container only says "5" on the bottom.

You can see it was punctured in two areas in the second pic. To my untrained eye, it doesn't look like wear or expansion. The hard nuggets inside were sharpish looking as I tried to shake it out. I did notice it's capable of breaking glass on freezing, so I have it outside for the time being in containers I'd assume to be polypropylene. They are shiny, hard and somewhat brittle, so outside, but basically all I had on hand.

@ monolithic,
if I'm not mistaken, dollar tree vanilla extract is just coloring, vanillin and water, with a preservative. It's probably not a whole lot of vanillin, and that makes it probably not cheap, so likely a poor suggestion. Quite available none the less.

The determination of vanillin in vanilla extract: An analytical chemistry experiment
https://doi.org/10.1021/ed067p1070

"The concentration of vanillin in imitation vanillin extract, as purchased from the supermarket, varies with the brand name hut is usually in the range 5+/- 2 mg/mL."

So 200ml for 1g ... Not very good
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 10:44

After 5 months of waiting, I finally received 50 grams of sodium metal from Russia.

B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
After 5 months of waiting, I finally received 50 grams of sodium metal from Russia.

Glad to hear it! This gives me a faint glimmer of hope my Russian order placed in March may yet show up.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 14:08

About 220g of lithium rod from a fellow SM member who picked it up cheap. It is stored in a glass jar under air and has some oxidation but it is not too bad. My intention is to improve the storage conditions: probably in the same jar under light hydrocarbon with a lump of lead to prevent flotation.

I will post pics later.

Uses: some for the element collection, some will (eventually) be used to synthesise some Cs. Some will get converted to LiCl. Lots of possible experiments and demos for my students. I will definitely get my money's worth out of it.
(And in the meantime I can be a bit extravagant with the small pile of Li I have scavanged from batteries. Crimson flames, here we come!)
 Pages:  1  ..  49    51    53  ..  60

Go To Top