Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 05:12

Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate

ferrous.jpg - 1.3MB
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 05:15

Some dyes, primarily for microscopy. Indigo carmine and fluorescein.

dyes.jpg - 1.1MB
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by HydrogenSulphate  
Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate

User name checks out
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 23:58

500 g bromobenzene
500 mL diethyl carbonate

Hoping I can do some fun grignard reactions at home. Phenylmagnesium bromide is the easiest grignard reagent to make. Not carcinogenic like alkyl halides, commonly prepared in undergrad teaching labs.

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 01:03

Finally restocked some 98% sulfuric acid.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 21:05

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
500 g bromobenzene
500 mL diethyl carbonate

Hoping I can do some fun grignard reactions at home. Phenylmagnesium bromide is the easiest grignard reagent to make. Not carcinogenic like alkyl halides, commonly prepared in undergrad teaching labs.

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by Cou]

diethyl carbonate is a fun reagent because it can be used to make tertiary alcohols from only a grignard reagent.

the alcohol is a tertiary alcohol with the alkyl group copied 3 times.

Untitled.png - 24kB

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 02:56

Nice, what are you planning to do with the triphenylmethanol?
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 14:07

i think triphenylmethanol is a cool molecule itself so i just wanna make it for the hell of it.
I also want to try making esters of it, such as trityl acetate. I think you can do fischer esterification because triphenylmethanol doesn't dehydrate.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-11-2020 at 19:18

Some things are just destined to bring a smile.

IMG20201119131310.jpg - 2.6MB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 02:32

That's a really nice one! Sad that this is not possible anymore in the EU :(

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 03:00

CaO, 250g - for gas & alcohol drying
Acetylchlorid, 500 ml - for organic synthesis & experiments with dehydration of some metal chlorides
P4O10, 100g - as a drying agent
FeCl3, 250g - anhydrous, for continue experiments with FeCl3/organic layer extractions (I've got some interest in family of [FeCl4]- compounds)
Fe powder < 100um, 500g - just as a source of pure Fe
1-Propanol, 1-Pentanol, 1-Octanol, 1-Decanol (250ml each) - they were missing in my alcohols collection. So, now I have all isomers of 1-4 atomic alcohols, 2 isomers of penanol, but hexanols-heptanols as well as 9 atoms are still missing.
Salicylic acid, 250g - for salicilate esters and phenol synthesis
chemship1978
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 03:10

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  

1-Propanol, 1-Pentanol, 1-Octanol, 1-Decanol (250ml each) - they were missing in my alcohols collection. So, now I have all isomers of 1-4 atomic alcohols, 2 isomers of penanol, but hexanols-heptanols as well as 9 atoms are still missing.

I've got hexanol, heptanol, sec-octanol, dodecanol, tetradecanol (mirystyl alcohol) and hexadecanol if you were interested in widening your collection ;)

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by chemship1978  
Quote: Originally posted by teodor  

I've got hexanol, heptanol, sec-octanol, dodecanol, tetradecanol (mirystyl alcohol) and hexadecanol if you were interested in widening your collection ;)

Thank you, but my next purchase will probably be some chromium compounds, I need CrO3 for sure - it is waste of reagents to make it from K2Cr2O7 and H2SO4 as I did before, especially now ... and I am looking for best quantity/price for it (purity is not so important).
Also some "blue" Cr(III), most obvious KCr(SO4)2·12(H2O) but I am doing a lot of experiments with Cr now so probably depending on availability will get interest in other compounds, the purity is important in this case, as a reference ...
Also I have pain in the ass (and the lungs as well) crystallising Co(NO3)2, so for good price I would probably just buy some ... as well as probably some other (definitely Cr) metal nitrates, even if I can make them they prefer to crystallise by seed crystals only, so I need few samples for seeding ... the price is important, also I would prefer to buy, let say, 5 different samples 10g quantity each (different metals) than 1 sample 50g.
Well, also I am preparing standard solution for acidimetry/alkalimetry etc, so need some reference compounds with best purity, and I am not sure what is available on the market. I've made some 0.1N AgNO3 last week using pure Ag which people sell for element collectors , but I also need sodium oxalate and Mohr's salts (as standards) which I've made by myself but purity ... well, I am not sure how good is it for precision work, I mean I did crystallisation by myself and now need use it as a reference by weight.

So, if somebody have idea/offers of anything I mentioned, just U2U me.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2020 at 19:22

Ordered some oxalic acid advertised as "100% pure and anhydrous" on Amazon. I wanted to be certain that it was truly anhydrous so I checked the melting point. It started to melt around 95C and finished at 102C. Even more water than dihydrate given the mp characteristics. The anhydrous form should melt around 189C. When it sounds to be too good to be true, it usually is. Buyer beware.

AvB

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 10:50

Many times I have seen chemicals sold as "anhydrous". In most cases it just means that the chemical is a dry powder or free flowing crystalline solid. I even once saw copper nitrate being sold as anhydrous on ebay, it was just Cu(NO3)2.3H2O, but it was a nice dry solid, while copper nitrate frequently is moist, due to its hygroscopic nature.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 17:39

I didn't place any new orders, but my adipic acid finally arrived. Also, my sodium borohydride finally made its way to my lab.

I'm going to be traveling for work for the next two months, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into chemistry when I get back.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 11:25

I purchased 100 grams of arsenic sulfide, As2S3, for the amazingly low price of just $9.99 (appr. EUR 8.50), including shipping. The order arrived last week and today I tested its purity. I am really impressed about the purity of this product of natural origin. This material easily dissolves in dilute warm NaOH, and the solution is completely clear, and very pale yellow. No insoluble crap or turbid solution as one normally would expect from natural minerals.

This opens up relatively safe aqueous arsenic chemistry for a very affordable price. Water-soluble arsenic compounds are quite hard to obtain, so if you are interested in arsenic chemistry AND you can work cleanly, then I would grab 100 grams of this as long as it lasts.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33017545866.html

If you use this material for experimenting, be careful. This material is TOXIC, especially when it is dissolved!! Avoid reactions with strong reductors, where H2 can be formed. As a side reaction, small amounts of AsH3 may be formed, besides H2!! So, unless you are absolutely sure about your safety measures, do not use with zinc or magnesium in acidic solution, or with Al in alkaline or acidic solution, nor with NaBH4!

The seller calls this stuff realgar and also he also uses the word "orpiment". This is not realgar. Natural crystalline realgar is a bright scarlet red compound, As4S4. This yellow material is orpiment. Natural orpiment may contain realgar as impurity, but fortunately my sample does not contain that.

[Edited on 16-12-20 by woelen]

itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 13:07

My calcium acetylide has finally arrived from the UK! I'm ecstatic. Hopefully I have time to make copper and silver acetylides this weekend. A few days ago I also received some potassium permanganate

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 05:21

I now also ordered 100 grams of realgar, the red arsenic sulfide As4S4. Also from AliExpress for a really low price.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001309126232.html

It will take a few weeks before it arrives, but I am not in a hurry. Always good to have a little more of this as well. I now only have 10 grams or so of this compound (very expensive on eBay).

valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I now also ordered 100 grams of realgar, the red arsenic sulfide As4S4. Also from AliExpress for a really low price.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001309126232.html

It will take a few weeks before it arrives, but I am not in a hurry. Always good to have a little more of this as well. I now only have 10 grams or so of this compound (very expensive on eBay).

Can you please keep us updated on that (quality, appearance...)? I've been thinking about buying it ever since it appeared for sale 4-5 years ago, but never did. I lowkey fear I'll get some half-assed solid filled with sand or soil. I know it's not an ACS chemical but I'd rather not buy a bag of yellow sand.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-12-2020 at 04:04

For this one I can say that I was really nicely surprised: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33017545866.html
This is really pure, almost lab grade! This is not realgar, but orpiment, As2S3. I really recommend this!
I used it for my newest experiments on my website about arsenic chemistry.

Here follows a picture of the material I have in my hands:

I do not yet know about the realgar I ordered yesterday. I'll tell over here about the quality of that material when I receive it.

[Edited on 23-12-20 by woelen]

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2020 at 04:14

Yes, that orpiment is exactly what I set my eyes on. There's also some cinnabar that looks really nice on Aliexpress, but is much more expensive (ca. 30€/100g)

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-12-2020 at 06:44

I just did a nice energetics experiment with the orpiment. I crunched some and carefully mixed it with some KClO3. When ignited, this mix burns very fast. Do NOT inhale the smoke! I only did this experiment at 100 mg scale or so. No weighted amounts, just half a spatula full of orpiment and a spatula full of KClO3 and carefully mixed with a soft twig. This definitely is not a bag of sand or soil!

[Edited on 23-12-20 by woelen]

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2020 at 09:21

I don't deal with anything that involves per/chlorates or anything energetic, so there's no way I'd do that. I wish there was a safe and quick way to turn it into a decent salt or the oxide. Sadly, burning it can't be done at home. I remember seeing a medical report in a toxicology book about a man who tried to make and sell homemade arsenic pigments in the 1840s and killed off his whole household overnight with the fumes. I assume he did something like that, as As oxides are fairly volatile and sublime easily.

Edit: your feedback and article convinced me. After like 6 years, I just ordered it myself (the ground up orpiment).

[Edited on 23-12-2020 by valeg96]

Chemcraft
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2020 at 03:17

Chemcraft offers arsenic 99% at $40/100 g.

https://chemcraft.su

As -1.jpg - 914kB

[Edited on 24-12-2020 by Chemcraft]
 Pages:  1  ..  52    54    56  ..  60

Go To Top