Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  60
Author: Subject: Latest chemical order?
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 09:33

I do not know if you live in the Czech Republic or Slovakia, but I thought there were regulations on similar chemicals in the EU. My country produces a very large amount of ammonium nitrate so it is very cheap it costs 50 kg 50 GEL(15$). I have a bag half full, but I have not used it for a long time.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 16:14

Only easy way to get pure dry ammonium nitrate where I am at is Tannerite at the ever ubiquitous sporting goods stores.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 01:05

Quote: Originally posted by vano  
I do not know if you live in the Czech Republic or Slovakia, but I thought there were regulations on similar chemicals in the EU. My country produces a very large amount of ammonium nitrate so it is very cheap it costs 50 kg 50 GEL(15$). I have a bag half full, but I have not used it for a long time.

I think almost every country produces very large amounts of ammonium nitrate. Afaik even my country makes shiploads of it, as it's used everywhere universally as a fertilizer. It's also the only nitrate that is regulated by EU, as well as by stability and as purity for general public, and sale of around over 50% pure AN is prohibited. The limit was 14% by weight of nitrogen if I remember correct, as 34% would be pure. Other nitrates are not regulated, but they are on the suspicious transactions list.

I see that at least potassium and calcium nitrates are readily bought in 25kg bags for about the same price unit, although the suppliers are not walk-in-stores but more like per order, and even when they do sell by bag, they have a checklist for a full pallet of 40 bags on their site. Ironically, ordering a full ton of it would look less suspicious than just one bag. I haven't ordered one, because I definitely don't need 25kg of it, a kilo or two at max over a few years, so keeping a huge bag of the stuff lying around would be stupid.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 12:29

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  

I think almost every country produces very large amounts of ammonium nitrate. Afaik even my country makes shiploads of it, as it's used everywhere universally as a fertilizer. It's also the only nitrate that is regulated by EU, as well as by stability and as purity for general public, and sale of around over 50% pure AN is prohibited. The limit was 14% by weight of nitrogen if I remember correct, as 34% would be pure. Other nitrates are not regulated, but they are on the suspicious transactions list.

Of course many countries produce because nitrogen and oxygen are everywhere. But in my country really a lot is synthesized. If you ask me EU regulations are great, the substance is very dangerous, for example the explosion of Beirut. This ammonium nitrate was exported from Georgia to one of the African countries in 2013, but it was stopped in Beirut, and much more was lost than it exploded. I am sure it was scored in one of the Middle Eastern countries (I will not name it). I mean it should not be sold so easily because many countries and certain groups dream about it.

[Edited on 22-3-2021 by vano]

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 12:56

Many countries likely have more advanced methods for producing ordnance, albeit AN is a cheap, bulk material. I'm in it to prevent the bad guys from getting it, but I also fear a lot that I end up on the suspected bad guys' list just because if I purchase certain reagents.

The beirut was just grave lack of safety measures, but on the same time a very classic cause for a disaster: something ends locked up because of some form of bureaucracy or a conflict of interest, and while being on hold, no one has incentive to move it because it'll likely be temporary, but it eventually becomes long-term issue, but the chain of command has already been forgotten and people just live with it. Then, some minor disaster like electric fire spreads a little and initiates a chain of events.

Oh, and my latest order/purchase? Two bottles of ethanol, ready to be stripped clean.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 13:32

Is it possible to be considered a bad guy in your country after purchasing certain compounds?:D Luckily I do not have similar problems, probably because no one except me buys similar chemicals here. As for the explosion, I agree, it was just caused by negligence. (Or not, but we will never know)

I moved on a bit from the topic, therefore chemicals which i bought last were lithium hydroxide, sulfamic acid, dichloromethane and just daily acids.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2021 at 04:50

Two grams of samarium. I did not think it would have such a ridiculous size, I saw such a small vial for the first time.

received_1114999152306350.jpeg - 215kB

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 30-3-2021 at 13:35

just did a quick and dirty nitrate test on the KNO3 I got from Walmart online. H2SO4 + product from Wallyworld + copper = NO2 fumes.

Damn good deal at $3.20/lb delivered!

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 11:28

Vano I've bought 1 kg of Sm metal for 130 EUR to explore its usage in organic chemistry (SmI2)
https://onyxmet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path...

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2021 at 10:11

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Vano I've bought 1 kg of Sm metal for 130 EUR to explore its usage in organic chemistry (SmI2)
https://onyxmet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path...

Too much :D. I'm sure you will do very good things. Iodide is an excellent reagent in organic chemistry, but I have so little, its use is nonsense.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 5-4-2021 at 11:12

Happy to report on the Wallyworld nitrate. Already distilled a half litre of HNO3

link

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2021 at 11:16

You what? They sell pure KNO3 in a supermarket store there?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-4-2021 at 12:43

You what? They sell pure KNO3 in a supermarket store there?
Walmart's online shopping is like Amazon: many of their items are actually sold and shipped by 3rd party sellers, not by Walmart itself. You won't find bags of pure KNO3 in the physical store (that being said, you might be able to find stump remover which is impure but quite easy to clean up).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2021 at 13:17

Damn. Here in Europe they sell products that does not contain anything else but "biologically active enzymes" for your garden, window cleaning, drain opening, etc.
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-4-2021 at 15:58

Quote: Originally posted by itsallgoodjames  
I just ordered 250ml of azeotropic nitric acid from chemship1978. I'll post a picture when it arrives. I know it's not the liters that some people have, but it's exciting, as I can finally do silver chem on scales larger than a few ml.

It arrived!! Now to do silver chemistry

20210406_193723.jpg - 1.6MB

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 19:58

I just got some methyl p-salicylate (methyl paraben) from aliexpress. i have a few things in mind for it.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 22:04

Damn. Here in Europe they sell products that does not contain anything else but "biologically active enzymes" for your garden, window cleaning, drain opening, etc.

In my area you can buy KNO3 for meat curing even in hardware shop.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 15:19

i'm thinking about blowing $20 on a bottle of skatole, just to find out what it smells like.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 12:44

3,4,5 TMBA

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-4-2021 at 06:14

Analytical reagent grade basic lead acetate, having approximate composition Pb(OH)1.15(CH3COO)0.85. I could obtain 500 grams of this for only GBP 6. It dissolves in water, giving an opalescent white solution. On addition of a little acetic acid, the solution becomes colorless.

Analytical reagent grade sodium tungstate, Na2WO4. A sealed bottle of 100 grams for again GBP 6.

I also obtained a few ampoules, each containing 10 ml of BBr3. I did not yet break one of these ampoules. I still am thinking about what kind of experiments I can do with this extreme reagent. As long as the material is in the thick-walled glass ampoules, I have no storage issue with these.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
dawt
Hazard to Self

Mood: fluorescent

[*] posted on 29-4-2021 at 09:39

Got me some TAED, sodium percarbonate and turpentine. Anyone got an idea where this is heading?

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 03:22

Na percarbonate + TAED you can make your white clothes even more white and shining. Distilling turpentine using powerful column and variable reflux ratio distillation head you can separate alfa pinene and other terpenes, depending on the source of turpentine (EU turpentine usually contains most of alfa pinene and less beta pinene). Maybe you can oxidize double bonds of the alfa pinene. Or if you have source of HCl gas you can make an addition of dry HCl gas to alfa pinene to produce bornyl chloride

[Edited on 30-4-2021 by Fery]

dawt
Hazard to Self

Mood: fluorescent

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 05:58

@Fery: Exactly! My plan after fractionation of the turpentine is to
1. epoxidise the alpha-pinene: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S...
2. rearrange the alpha-pinene epoxide to campholenic aldehyde: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4052341A/
3. do some aldol-condensations with simple aldehydes and ketones, followed by reductions to yield some funky sandalwood smelling compounds. Seems like all of the big fragrance companies have their own patented analogs (under trade names such as Brahmanol, Santaliff, Sandranol, Sandalore, Ebanol etc.) and I'm interested in smelling the differences :) There's a decent overview in Surburg, H.; Panten, J. Common Fragrance and Flavor Materials: Preparation, Properties and Uses, 6th ed.; Wiley-VCH Verlag: Weinheim, Germany, 2016.

paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 16:47

Courtesy of B(a)P, the absolute legend. If anybody's looking for me I'll be busy oxidising things.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by dawt  
1. epoxidise the alpha-pinene: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S...

dawt thx for the link, very interesting route available to everyone!!!
also D-limonene from orange peels (or orange oil) could be epoxidized the same way producing limonene oxide:
http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1124781.html
also carvone (s-carvone stereoisomer could be extracted by hydrodistillation of cumin, the other stereoisomer l-carvone I prepared by 3-step synthesis from D-limonene and later I've bought here)

Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  60

Go To Top